Legs 'falling asleep'?

Options
koosdel
koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
Does anyone else have this problem? I went to the bathroom to make a number two, and got distracted texting and playing on the internet.. and about 45 minutes later when I finally got off the pot, my legs were totally numb. Could this be because I went over on.vitamin C today?

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You know, I didn't make the connection until just now, but the other day I went over on Vitamin C, and after sitting cross-legged on my computer chair for about 2 hours, my legs fell asleep too!

I guess that Vitamin C adversely affects our circulation. It's pretty dangerous.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I usually assume that the position I'm in is what stopped the circulation to the bottom of my legs!

My understanding is that Vitamin C (as with Bs) is a water-soluble vitamin and the body just excretes what it doesn't need. I took 500mg/day for years with no adverse affects and will take 4 times as much to stop a cold developing. I have heard that regularly taking more than 500mg/day can lead to problems over the long term.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Or it could just be sitting on a hard toilet seat for 45 minutes cut of your circulation.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about Vit. C, but I'm going to guess by sitting on the potty, more that likely with your elbows on your legs as you were texting, for 45 minutes might have cut off your circulation. I could be wrong...just taking a wild guess.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You know, I didn't make the connection until just now, but the other day I went over on Vitamin C, and after sitting cross-legged on my computer chair for about 2 hours, my legs fell asleep too!

I guess that Vitamin C adversely affects our circulation. It's pretty dangerous.

Heather75 - That was just laugh out loud funny..!!!...

Now, in answer to the question....It's a circulation issue, definitely...
  • ljmeep
    ljmeep Posts: 29
    Options
    happens to me all time. I doubt it was the vitamine c though... prolly just the fact u were on the pot for 45 mins... doesn't take near that long for mine to fall asleep though...
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'd bet it was your sitting position, not Vitamin C. Have had my legs "fall asleep" on long/miserable bathroom visits (especially on the newer/higher toilet seats) or in bad chairs.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the vitamin c but it might be because you didnt move your legs for an extended period of time and its your bodys way of telling you to move because you were cutting off your legs circulation.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My legs fall asleep just while I'm sitting in my office chair at work. It's padded and everything, but I think you're just not supposed to sit for long periods of time. I try to get up every hour to either get a drink of water, or go pee.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My legs fall asleep just while I'm sitting in my office chair at work. It's padded and everything, but I think you're just not supposed to sit for long periods of time. I try to get up every hour to either get a drink of water, or go pee.

Have you checked the ergonomics of your sitting position? As I find with sitting on the toilet, if your seat height is too high then the weight of your legs will put pressure on the back of your thighs, cutting the circulation - your knees should be at 90 degrees with your feet/shoes flat on the floor.
  • welladjusted
    Options
    Well stated RoanneRed, definately check the sitting posture. (disclaimer: I own the company that I am going to talk about below.)

The toilet seat design we all know and "love" has not changed in nearly 100 years and was developed with smaller frames and lighter weight folks in mind. We hear of this problem very often, which is part of the reason why our new toilet seat is on the market.

Do a google search for The Adjustable Advantage Toilet Seat. It is the world's first and only (patented) toilet seat that adjusts to each user's natural sitting position. Capable of expanding outward up to an additional 12" inches (total width of 21.5") it provides additional support and more room for easier access and improved personal hygiene. The adjustability removes the "pressure points" that cut off circulation and provides for a more comfortable relaxing sitting experience.