ACL reconstruction HELP!!

Options
Hi guys I'm having an ACL reconstruction next week and I'm scared. When I'm in training I'm dedicated and shred well but when I'm not, as with my injury, I put on weight and go sloppy with my eating. I'm determined to come back from this injury and get fit but need help to come over my sadness at my injury, the potential pain, the growth of my fitness and with the psychological aspects of returning to sport in the coming months of rehab! Feel free to add. I'm a UK dude

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Have had several knee surgeries, although not ACL. You have some physical therapy ahead of you, and while working on your knee, ask if you can work in some upper body stuff. Since physical activity will be limited, diet becomes even more important. As does water intake. Be in the best shape you can prior to the surgery. A lot of water after will help get anesthesia out of your system quicker and will aid in your recovery. You should still be able to work out your upper body with some modifications after your surgery. Ask physical therapist for tips on modifications. As for mental aspect, it's tough, but celebrate the small victories and keep the end goals in mind. It's ok to be frustrated. Think long term. Best of luck!
  • courtniekrebs
    courtniekrebs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 ACL reconstruction surgeries (out of 9 total) and my advice is listen to your doctor. Don't rush healing and listen to your body. Training will take time. I still can't squat a lot or lunge but I adjust and don't do it if it hurts. Also exercise that requires a lot of knee strain I'd suggest wearing a brace. Good luck. If you have questions I'd be happy to help :)
  • Big_Game_James
    Big_Game_James Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had ACL surgery. I couldn't dunk afterwards...I couldn't dunk before either. Recovery is going to take some time. Make sure you work on balance, I struggled with mine after surgery. So the therapist would just move to ways to strengthen. My balance is still off 25 years later, never had that issue before. Plus work on full range of motion. My knee won't go completely straight, so I struggle with hamstring cramps when I run. Can't get a full stretch on my right side. Plus when you feel up to really pushing yourself, don't favor that repaired side. You don't want landing awkwardly on the other side to cause another surgery. You will have to trust the recovery process and work you put in to withstand the load you place on it.
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    a few of my friends that I play ball with have had a busted acl.. usually they went from being rail thin, to gaining a bit of weight, but then when they got back in the gym ended up getting way bigger and stronger than before...
    don't really have great advice, but best of luck with the surgery. my eating when I'm injured is terrible so that's why I'm. putting off my ankle surgery. totally get it.
  • chrisi9conway
    chrisi9conway Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys. Yeah I know the process is a long debilitating one but it's one I'm keen to hit head on. Prehab is as important as rehab I believe and modern day surgeries mean the likelihood of reoccurance is minimal, as is loss of speed etc. So I'm eagerly awaiting. Thanks ms though again guys.
  • spechtmi
    spechtmi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another ACL reconstruction here. Got mine done just over 2 years ago, recover took a while, I'm in my mid 40's.

Agree prehab very important (I did not realise how much) as with the rehab. I did gain weight after surgery and my eating went to down hill. But in the last 7 months I have gone back to the gym and one of the issues I have found is if I over train my legs the muscles around the knee are still a little weak. The other issue has been my hamstring, re-building the strength and movement after the hamstring graft was something I was not prepare for.