Cutting Out Soda

Options
I have a problem with soda. I can easily throw down at least 3 a day. How can I beat the addiction without feeling like I’m missing out on something??

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    How big a serving do you usually have? Sugary or nonsugary? Are you interested in cutting out caffeine, sugar, aspartame? All/none of the above? Have you tried carbonated fruit flavored waters? Personally I hate mineral waters like La Croix, but love the sweeter zero cslorie Sunny Select Fruit Fizz. (Like Clearly Canadians) Why you want to cut down can help determine the best or easiest way to do it.
  • lolo_bunny
    lolo_bunny Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There are some great suggestions here. If you feel like you need a drink with a "fizzy feeling", you could try something like club soda and add lemon, lime or whatever you want to enhance the flavour. I'm not personally a soda fan but I do this to switch things up when I feel like something other than water, which is what I mainly drink.
  • Nefrella
    Nefrella Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Le Croix ftw!!!!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    And put the money you would have spent towards some kind of reward if you can, for extra incentive
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you’re wanting to cut down for reasons related to the health of your teeth I’d recommend against fruit juices or water with lemon/lime. I’ve started drinking peppermint tea and coffee a lot more since I quit soda, as well as trying to drink water more. It’s not as fun but I can’t deal with how awful those drinks are for your teeth.
  • seashellybob
    seashellybob Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    jlsmash wrote: »
    I have a problem with soda. I can easily throw down at least 3 a day. How can I beat the addiction without feeling like I’m missing out on something??

I use to drink 3-4 cans of Coke a day and just quit "cold turkey." Haven't had a Coke or soda of any kind since.

Sugar (refined, artifical or natural is not physically addictive; nothing that causes physical withdrawal symptoms if you stop eating it.

Psychological dependency or addiction is another matter.

There's a reason why EVERYONE loves sweets. It tastes good and we almost always want more of it starting w/the first taste as a child.

The only thing that happened when I stopped drinking soda was that I lost weight. That was incentive enough to CHOOSE not to drink a soda ever again.

If you just can't say no to regular soda then trying to find a low cal substitute, like diet soda, water or tea/coffee (w/o cream & sugar, of course) would be your only other option.

Good luck!

I quit cold turkey aswell. I started mfp and looked at my daily calorie allotment and realized I'd much rather eat something for 200 calories than waste it on a beverage!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Try buying the mini cans instead of a larger can or bottle. The mini cokes and sprites have 90 calories.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Try buying the mini cans instead of a larger can or bottle. The mini cokes and sprites have 90 calories.

omg I do this haha
    I got so many mini cans in my fridge
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    sdolan91 wrote: »

omg I do this haha

YUP! Because I know its a lot less soda i savor it for my whole meal. Later i eventually was able to even leave some soda from the mini cans.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3-6 per day...I just weened it back a little at a time and it became something I looked forward to as a treat rather than a regularity throughout the day. I eventually got it down to 1 at lunch on Fridays and then none. The only time I have a full sugar soda these days is in October when we go to our local pumpkin farm and they brew there own Sarsaparilla and my 7 year old and I enjoy one together.
  • DanielleFayeS
    DanielleFayeS Posts: 1,981 Member
    Options
    I cut down to a strict limit of two a day. Then one. Now I drink unsweetened tea on weekdays (high quality loose leaf with fruit flavors helps) but I do allow myself some on weekends and holidays with the strict limit of two max. Keeping it in a routine where I get some kept me from being "you mean I'll NEVER get Mountain Dew EVER again? Forget that."
  • rockmartin50
    rockmartin50 Posts: 1,747 Member
    Options
    I just to drink alot of sodas especially Big Red but to me it was easy since i had Sweet Tea and then that became a problem so i started drinking the water and ease up on the tea and never look back on sodas----once in a blue moon i will drink one--but i don't have to have it---it's a challenge but for me it was not that bad
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    xhuerax wrote: »
    sdolan91 wrote: »

omg I do this haha

YUP! Because I know its a lot less soda i savor it for my whole meal. Later i eventually was able to even leave some soda from the mini cans.

exactly!!! same here!!
    my sister gets the big cans and think I'm silly to get the small ones, but man I try to save at least some calories and still enjoy a little soda :tongue:
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I gave up soda. Replaced it with crystal light not that I was excited. Then I found a infuser and pitcher now flavored water has replaced it all. I never have liked water but there is something really clean and refreshing about cucumber and lemon water. I use to drink soda as my only source of liquids even diet the only way I could control myself mentally was just to decide never to have it again.