Ladies how do you exercise on your cycle?

Options

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I find that I deal with the cramping and bloating a lot better since I've started regular exercise (and I suspect the abs work is a large part of it). Mostly, I resign myself to more bathroom breaks and take a painkiller if I need it, but it's rare that I do.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    dk if was the only one who thought this was going to be a sore-bum-new-bicycle thread. or if that just highlights the fact that i'm past all of that :tongue:

for what it's worth though, i used to play it pmuch by ear. i know it's not much of an answer, but i think personal experience (i.e. trial and error) is the only way to know which way of dealing with periods/cramps get the best results for your own body. you're the only one living in it, so you're pretty much your own boss :tongue:

try not to compare yourself too much to others, or let how others deal with it become some kind of 'test' for yourself. and maybe sometimes, it's also helpful to remind yourself that any sporty amazing amazon women you see in commercials doing all of this stuff with their [whatever] in/on . . . are imaginary. the ads aren't a benchmark for you to aim for. they're more like they were designed to demonstrate the extremes of what's 'possible'. IF you should happen to want to do that.

they're also not about the way a woman's body feels. they're just about the base mechanics of 'does this thing leak?' did that make sense. they're about social/emotional confidence, nothing to do with your physical state.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    As a runner, I find a week or so before my period my legs feel heavy and I simply can't run at my regular speed without some serious effort. Once I realised this was a thing (and a well researched and documented thing), I just run slower on those days and don't let it bother me. As soon as I move into the next phase of my cycle (from luteal to follicular), running becomes a breeze - effortless and thoroughly enjoyable - so this is when I push my speed. If I'm running an event, I can gauge whether I'm going to run well and get a PB or simply push through depending on which side of my period I'm on.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I can always walk.
  • emele613
    emele613 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on which is your biggest hurdle. If it's cramps then it actually helps to work through the pain at first and ultimately you'll actually feel better. If it's fatigue, for me I usually either take a rest day (and only if I really really have to) or I do something light like 30 minutes of stretching/yoga, a light weight workout, or just walk for a little bit. But don't worry I feel your struggle girl when I want to workout but my energy is just nonexistent. We've all been there!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    shove a tampon in there and go lift.

I don't consider this to be something to stop me unless I'm fully crippled with cramps- which doens't happen for me- so I consider it a none issue- I just go do what needs doing. If it's a lift day- I lift. If it's a dance day- I dance. If it's a day off- I take the day off.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    When I ran competitively in high school, one of my best times when when I was all crampy and PMSing badly. Taught me a lesson: just because you feel icky doesn't mean you can't still run well. It might suck but that's not the same as "can't".
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have only one day of my period that is really bad and I won’t work out that day but other than that, same as always. My bad day makes it hard to do much of anything.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I find that the cramps go away after a good workout. The hardest part is getting started so I just make sure to take ibuprophen and apply my muscle relaxant beforehand and get going!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If my cramps are really bad and causing back pain, I take Ibuprofen. I might wear different underwear/pants/shorts, but that's about it. My workout still gets done.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Usually first day or so I'm extra tired and might be queasy, so I generally don't get much of a workout that day. And I hate tampons, so I usually avoid swimming. Otherwise I'm one of the lucky ins, and it seldom seriously bothers me, unless I let myself get overworked or exhausted.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I just do it. I’m hardly going to back out of a meet just because it falls during my period (hello cycle day one being lifting day at worlds the last two years), so I don’t see why I would take it easy in training.

I do notice my joints are extra wiggly the week prior and the first couple days, so I pay attention and will lighten up squat loads or choose a safer variation. But that’s the only modification I’ll do.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How honest/graphic should we be? I may be done with periods (nearly a year now without one) but when I was so heavy that I...well, gushed, no matter what I was wearing, I did all standing-up exercises. Somehow not having backward pressure, I guess, made gushing less likely during a given exercise. And immediately before working out I would start fresh with protection and backup.

As for pain, nothing helped with that, ever, not for 38 years, so I learned to live with it and worked out through it.

If you don't want to work out for one or two days, don't. It is always up to you.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Such a good discussion, learned a lot, thanks!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I just do my usual routine. I find it actually helps lessen cramping.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    the same as i do any other time?

^This.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    the same as i do any other time?

That^^
  • purpleannex
    purpleannex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ...without the saddle...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't. There are plenty of other days in the month.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I used to be in the school of "I just do it" but as I've gotten older and off birth control, my periods are not kind to me. Thankfully, it's usually just a day that's really bad, so I push training off to the next day.