How do you avoid going on binges?

Options

Replies

• Jeniccm
    Jeniccm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I find that when I have too large of a deficit I binge. Every time. I haven’t binged once since I increased my calories so that I’m eating to sustain a .5/lb loss per week. I started allowing myself a little treat every day if I want that fits within my calories and I no longer feel deprived and like I need to eat everything in sight
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont like ice cream. so .... theres that.

i dont keep in the house things i have little self restraint with. I allow myself to have exactly what i want, but i have to be able to fit it in my calorie allotment. whether its by taking something else away elsewhere, working out more, or reducing calories the next day.

i made italian bread today. im having a slice for a snack.

im making cinnamon rolls tomorrow for friends that are coming over. my meals will be light.

like that. thats how you avoid binging. when you allow yourself the things you want in moderation, remove any idea of a food being 'bad', it becomes easier to plan for it and be accountable in eating it.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I will not bring things into the house I will binge on. Mostly sweets.

halo top is my jam so you should look into that.

I have a Hubby and teen son, they eat whatever the fancy, I just move their items out of sight and am sure to label them with their names. that food is not mine. I am not eating it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't buy foods that I know I'm likely to mindlessly binge on. Things like cookies, crackers, chips, nuts, etc.

If I do have a craving for chips, I'll just buy one little 200-cal bag from the corner store. Or if I'm having friends over, I'll just buy one large bag of chips so I know I won't have any leftover.
  • tmlashta
    tmlashta Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    helene4 wrote: »
    There are certain foods I just can't eat because I know once I start it will be incredibly hard for me to stop or I'll lose track quickly of how much I've eaten. After a few months of not eating those foods (chips and almonds mainly) I don't even crave them anymore :)

Maybe if you do buy ice cream, buy a smaller container? So even if you eat it all it not that much? Just an idea

this^^
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    . . . binge is so subjective here. Some of the things I do to help with this is 1) Never eat straight from the package, which means using a bowl or saucer (the smaller the better). 2)If I am really together, I will pre-log the second helping and usually seeing the numbers will bring me back to reality. 3) If is it something I 'need' I try and plan it into my day with exercise and anchored with a balanced meal.

It happens, just try and make sure its not a habit :)
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I eat at maintenance at least a couple days a week to get my cravings out and then I'm usually over it for the rest of the week. I love salty foods, there are a lot of lower calorie alternatives to chips.

ETA: I don't keep any snacks in my home. Like nothing. If I want it I will pre-log it and THEN go and buy it. Sometimes I don't even make it to the grocery store.
  • kaitfin94
    kaitfin94 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I definitely have struggled with binge eating way too many times in my life. I am trying to avoid triggering foods like sugar and junk because those tend to be the ones that spiral me into a binge. Also, if I fee a binge coming on, I will eat a full meal and that has been extremely helpful.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'll let ya know when I figure it out.
  • hughjazz74
    hughjazz74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    haha. for those who do like Halo Top, what's your favorite flavor?
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    hughjazz74 wrote: »

Chocolate is the only one that I would say actually tastes like it's name (in this taste, chocolate). The others, at best, taste like diet version of themselves. The mint chocolate chip one tastes like mint toothpaste. Good luck overeating with that one.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Caramel macchiato.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'll let ya know when I figure it out.

Same. I don't have binges (using the medical definition), but I do overeat because my lizard hind brain is in control. Sometimes eating one portion of what I want works, sometimes avoiding the food I want, but those tricks only work for so long before I say eff it and go ham.
  • toxikon
    edited January 2018
    Options

My faves are Cinnamon Bun, Chocolate Banana, Candy Bar, Salted Caramel, Mint Chip, Peanut Butter Cup, Smores. I think I've tried all the flavours except the seasonal ones.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    We have very different ideas of binging, but beyond that, single serving items can keep you from eating more than you intended. They may be more expensive, but grabbing a single 230 calorie cup of Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream from the freezer or a single serve bag of cheese crackers certainly helps me with mindless overindulging.

And nothing against Halo Top (I haven't tried it, but have friends who love it), but I stay away from items that encourage me to eat the entire container. It takes a lot for me to stay in the habit of eating appropriate portion sizes, and I don't want to play around with it.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    We have very different ideas of binging, but beyond that, single serving items can keep you from eating more than you intended. They may be more expensive, but grabbing a single 230 calorie cup of Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream from the freezer or a single serve bag of cheese crackers certainly helps me with mindless overindulging.

And nothing against Halo Top (I haven't tried it, but have friends who love it), but I stay away from items that encourage me to eat the entire container. It takes a lot for me to stay in the habit of eating appropriate portion sizes, and I don't want to play around with it.

Just because you could eat an entire container and make it fit, Isnt it encouraging you to eat an entire container. I wish halo top existed here id love to try it lol

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Just because you could eat an entire container and make it fit, Isnt it encouraging you to eat an entire container. I wish halo top existed here id love to try it lol

I'll rephrase it - every one I know who buys it does so with the intention of eating the entire pint, so that's what I associate it with. My bad.
  • toxikon
    Options

I'll rephrase it - every one I know who buys it does so with the intention of eating the entire pint, so that's what I associate it with. My bad.

Maybe I'm not a huge ice cream fan in general, but I can only eat 1/3 of a Halo Top before I get sick of the flavour and put it back in the freezer. My fiance on the other hand, has no problem polishing off a whole pint!
  • jjpptt2
    Options

That's why I buy it. To me, it's no different than a thing of greek yogurt - I view both as single servings.

But I get the point you're making about mentality, and it's a good point to make.