Finally pulled the parking brake when going into cruise control...

Options
It's amazing how I can go all day eating healthy, keeping track of my calories, and the moment I step through the door, my wife says "I made pizza", and I instantly go "OK!" without a second thought, and become a different person. It's like I go into this uncontrolled "cruise control" state. This time I stopped at the counter, holding the pizza, and thought "I didn't even think about this. I didn't even hesitate or try to fight the urge." I slowly turned around, put the pizza back in the fridge, made something healthy, and counted the calories.

It's been a long time since I've stopped myself when I went into this zombie-like state, where I just agree to eat food and stop all the progress I've made.

It's hardest when I get home and my wife says "I made ____". It's not like she isn't supportive or she's trying to sabotage me. She's SUPER supportive. I think she just doesn't realize what a speed bump it is when she offers me food she cooked that isn't easy to figure out for calories, or isn't very healthy. And I rationalize that, if she's offering it to me, it must be ok for me to eat, because she knows how hard I'm working.

Sorry for all the driving puns :)

Replies

• shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow, good for you, being more thoughtful with what you choose to eat! I've never really thought about this kind of problem. As the wife/mom, I'm responsible for groceries and food prep in our house, so I have a ton of control over what the whole family eats. It must be tough to track calories and make good food decisions when your spouse is making you delicious, hot meals each night. I would definitely struggle with that.

Thanks for sharing your journey, and puns are always appreciated :-)

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I think it's overlooked how hard it is to be that self-aware sometimes; Pizza can be that way for me too (as long as it's good and has some meat on it).

Navigating that with a spouse it also something talked about less frequently than I think it merits around the forum. There was a period when I was working out after work. I get home about an hour before my wife so this worked well on paper, add occasional traffic delays, getting the mail, feed the cats, changing clothes, emptying the dishwasher, etc., and I was usually still lifting when she would get home. Without fail she would come down to the basement (where our weights are) to greet me and ask when I would be finished with regarding to timing dinner. The question in itself was innocent but I would immediately feel like I had a countdown clock and felt rushed to finish my workout or we would end up eating much later in the evening than preferred. Didn't take long to figure out I needed to switch things up and workout in the morning before work.
  • nwachim
    nwachim Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I struggle with the same thing and I can imagine how victorious you feel.this small wins are what makes the big win.
  • grayskymorning
    grayskymorning Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

As for your wife, you can always teach her how you count calories etc, and have a talk with her. She can cook whatever she wants, of course, but it might help you both out in having her able to make something you can eat without penalty as well. Explain to her your "cruise control" issue and talk it out!

Like a previous poster, I control everything as the one in the kitchen - so I don't have this issue. But I'm sensitive to what everyone needs or wants precisely because I'm in control. The more I know, the better!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!