Alcohol and dieting

Options
racetofinish751
racetofinish751 Posts: 15 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Just a general question, what have people used as far as guidelines regarding alcohol consumption? I typically only drink on Friday or Saturday nights, and it is usually just wine. I will have a few beers during football and hockey games, but I have really reduced the amount of alcohol that I consume. I would love to get guidelines as to how much you all drink and what type of drinks you consume to continue to lose weight. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Just log it and decide if it's worth it. I found it was hard to keep my food in check when I drank, but you may be able to fit it in.

I used to drink, when I first started losing weight I was a drinker, ten years ago.

I quit. My health was more important and it was exhausting being a drinker. :)
  • racetofinish751
    Options
    Yeah, I'm really all about taking care of my health now. I've lost around 7 lbs in my first month and feeling incredible now, but the weekends still get me. Thank you for your advice!
  • KatiieT96
    KatiieT96 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to be into my sugary high calorie mixes but found going for a low carb beer or vodka soda lime I was still able to enjoy nights out and not use my daily calories just on alcohol. Both of those drinks are 60-90 calories
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    It's the same answer to anything whether it be chocolate, pizza, ice cream or alcohol or any other foodstuff

can you fit the calories in AND get a nutritious, well balanced satisfying diet from the rest of your calorie allowance?

log what you;re doing and see
  • racetofinish751
    Options
    I’m currently drinking a glass of wine because i have extra calories today. So when I can fit it in, I do. If I can’t fit it in, I dont

That's what I'm doing now but I feel so guilty. I'm actually getting T25 fired up now real quick, haha
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    As far as alcohol goes, it really depends on where you want to spend your calories. Alcohol in itself won't interfere with weight loss, but if you're drinking enough to tip you over your calorie limit, or making poor food choices after drinking I would see that as a problem as far as managing your weight loss.

For myself, I have 5 oz red wine most evenings. Occasionally I'll split a bottle with my husband if we go out for a nice dinner (really just 2 ~5 oz glasses for me), but mostly it's just the one glass. I account for it in my calorie totals and enjoy every sip!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I’m currently drinking a glass of wine because i have extra calories today. So when I can fit it in, I do. If I can’t fit it in, I dont

That's what I'm doing now but I feel so guilty. I'm actually getting T25 fired up now real quick, haha

Why do you feel guilty?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    It's the same answer to anything whether it be chocolate, pizza, ice cream or alcohol or any other foodstuff

can you fit the calories in AND get a nutritious, well balanced satisfying diet from the rest of your calorie allowance?

log what you;re doing and see

True yes you can fit in bit alcohol but it has the uncanny ability to fog the "senses".That too must be taken into consideration.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I usually stick to vodka and stay away from by old favorite, beer. One thing that helps keep me in check... I do mybweigh in on Monday mornings. It keeps me conscious of my intake on Saturday and sets the tone for the week as far as diet and exercise
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I drink wine every night. Tonight I'm having a margarita and wine. I've been steadily losing weight.

It's simple math. Alcohol calories count. Log them and account for them if you want to consume.
  • racetofinish751
    Options

Why do you feel guilty?

Because I don't actually NEED it