Runner's Hitch: Use the extra eyelet at the top of your laces

Options
I have always been athletic, never a runner. This last weekend I learned a new process that was brilliant to me. I apologize if this is old hat to everyone else.

Making small eyelets using the last two lacing eyelets, as described in the video link below, will allow you to leave the laces on the top of your foot looser and not cut off circulation while giving a much tighter grip around the ankle. I am on day three of using this and I love the difference. This is not just for runners, we walkers can benefit from this also :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1mSYgGN45c

I did search for Runner's Hitch before posting. I hope this is not a common thread.

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It makes it way harder to lazily slip your shoes on and off, but does wonders otherwise. Great for your running shoes and your hiking boots. Increases stability. Good post.
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've always known it as "lock lacing". I used to use it when I ran in Asics Kayanos but since I switched a couple of years ago to Mizuno Wave Inspires I find it uncomfortable because of where the collar of the shoe sits around my ankle. Definitely great in some shoes though!
  • nut4crew
    nut4crew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of this, and will definitely try. Thanks!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    More than you ever wanted to know about lacing your shoes...

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm
  • L412
    L412 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this OP, I tried the runners hitch this morning - game changing!
  • MtnScramble
    MtnScramble Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So glad that this has been seen and it has helped one or two. This is one of those topics that more shoe sales people need to know.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Saw this method on the face awhile back. Tried it and it works great on athletic shoes. Wishing my hiking boots had the extra eyelet. Thanks for sharing this method.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    daweasel wrote: »
    I've always known it as "lock lacing". I used to use it when I ran in Asics Kayanos but since I switched a couple of years ago to Mizuno Wave Inspires I find it uncomfortable because of where the collar of the shoe sits around my ankle. Definitely great in some shoes though!

Yeah I wear mizunos too and have found it more uncomfortable than helpful, so it probably depends on the shoe (and the wearer)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Careful not to tie it too tight for the distance you're going. Feet swell.

I used to do this.

On my marathon 4 months ago, my laces felt fine having done this, but 30 km into the 42.2, it was agony.

It was cold, and my hands were too numb to stop and re-tie my laces, so I kept running.

I've still got a small lump there.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    I had never seen this before. I'm going to have to try it. Thanks!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this as I have a narrow heel and it always feels like it's slipping. Thanks!!!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Only 1 pair of the 6 pairs of "athletic" shoes that I currrently wear has the extra eyelets.

I don't run but it's on a pair of trail "running" shoes that I bought to use as a light shoe for hiking.

I'll give the shoe lacing technique a try when I wear then again, which probably won't be until this coming summer.
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this info. I didn't learn this during my years in cross country and neither did my children when they were in cross country. So @purpleannex my family runs (except I swim now) and this is not ancient news. If they don't teach you this in high school or college, I am sure no one is willing to teach you this during a marathon. my daughter even took a marathon training course in college and didn't learn this info. thanks again @MtnScramble
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sorry @purpleannex if i was too hard on you. I just got irritated. I wish you the best at your running adventures.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Josh_lol wrote: »
    Yeah sorry, this is ancient news, it's how you know if someone is a runner or not.

Really? I thought you could tell someone was a runner because they were running. :D

And here I thought you needed a blackened toe to be a runner. And I worked so hard for mine.
  • MWGemini
    MWGemini Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've run upwards of 150 marathons, a number of ultramarathons, and lots of long-distance triathlons. I've seen many methods of tying shoes, but never this one. Thanks for sharing! Personally, when I'm doing triathlons, I use elastic quick-zip laces, but I'll definitely try this method at some point.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist showed it to me, because it changes where the pressure goes, but I dont like it, because it's so much harder to tighten the lower part of the foot. However, I discovered I get the same pressure relief, but easier to control if I lace like normal all the way to the top, but instead of tying at top, I bring the laces backdown to the tounge loop and tie through there.