not losing weight around my middle , stress - holy basil

Options
2»

Replies

• sadrina1986
    sadrina1986 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, at least in my case -- it mostly boils down to what I eat. If I eat rice, pasta, bread and sugar (aka, all the good stuff), my belly will show up in no time, and I promise this is not out of digestion issue. So I'm trying to eat more veggie based meal and cut down as much carb as I can, except the one with really rough taste.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    While it's true that the stomach holds onto weight until last for a lot of people, if your midsection is really huge compared to the rest of you, ask your doctor about Cushing's syndrome. In my case my huge stomach was caused by cortisol secreted by a benign ovarian tumor. I wish some doctor had paid some attention to it sooner instead of assuming I was just unlucky and built badly.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I store my fat round my middle, a classic apple shape when overweight, unfortunately it's just genetics the only way to help it is strength training and trying to lose fat with a small deficit and cardio to chip away at it, I will never have visible abs and always have a slight bit of muffin unless I train harder and get to a lower BF% than I'm comfortable with (ie take my fitness regime from casual self improvement for general overall health that fits in with my lifestyle to making it a larger part of my life that I take very seriously) But I have managed to carve a bit of a waist from a year of hard work but still have a way to go.

I agree with the others though herbs won't work, if they taste nice though no harm in getting them, but just don't rely on them, no such thing as a magic herb/tea/pill/vinegar/shake that targets and melts fat, it's just so certain people can get blog clicks and sell snake oil. :/

Good luck x

You have just described me and my attitude towards getting abs to a T.

It is nice to know there is another apple out there that accepts abs (and for me a well rounded behind) are probably not in the cards, though I am very proud of what I have achieved.

Cheers, h.
  • geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Are you at your goal weight? If no, I would focus on getting to goal weight slowly and deliberately. If you are already at your goal weight, try to figure out if you have excess fat stores or just the normal amount. The fat has to be stored someplace on your body.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I store my fat round my middle, a classic apple shape when overweight, unfortunately it's just genetics the only way to help it is strength training and trying to lose fat with a small deficit and cardio to chip away at it, I will never have visible abs and always have a slight bit of muffin unless I train harder and get to a lower BF% than I'm comfortable with (ie take my fitness regime from casual self improvement for general overall health that fits in with my lifestyle to making it a larger part of my life that I take very seriously) But I have managed to carve a bit of a waist from a year of hard work but still have a way to go.

I agree with the others though herbs won't work, if they taste nice though no harm in getting them, but just don't rely on them, no such thing as a magic herb/tea/pill/vinegar/shake that targets and melts fat, it's just so certain people can get blog clicks and sell snake oil. :/

Good luck x

It is nice to know there is another apple out there that accepts abs (and for me a well rounded behind) are probably not in the cards, though I am very proud of what I have achieved.

Cheers, h.

There's 3 of us! :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,766 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Good luck x

Cheers, h.

There's 3 of us! :)

More than 3. Minimum 4. ;)

Holy basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum), like its other basil cousins, is pretty tasty, though. I grew it one time, a few years back.

In case anyone (in the US) cares, Johnny's Selected Seeds (http://www.johnnyseeds.com) sells seeds for it. Northern gardeners should be getting pretty much all their seeds from Johnny's anyway. ;)

(I don't work for Johnny's; I merely love them.)
  • AmberElizB
    AmberElizB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to shift the weight from my middle aswell! 3 stone loss and only went down one dress size because of my middle!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    OP, I learned in post-anesthesia recovery after surgery that, even if they aren't visible, all that exercise likely has an effect. I'd had my last solid food about 28-30 hours earlier and my last sip of liquid about 16 hours earlier. The nurse asked me if I felt up for some apple juice, which I did. Then he asked me, "Could you try sitting up a little and I'll crank the bed up behind you?" Which basically meant, "It's easier to crank up the bed if you're able to help a bit and not lie there like dead weight." Well, I sat up fully and immediately, at which point, the nurse said, "You've got some really great trunk muscles."

Like you, mine are hidden under belly fat. I've got some definition on my arms and legs. I think I'm seeing some on my upper back. But my abdomen hasn't yet shown any visible changes. However, thanks to post-surgery, I recognize that there have been some definite changes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so i have an issue, im toning up everywhere apart from my back and abdominal area and its really getting me down i do around 5 gym classes a week and have been doing so for about 6 months now ... but come to think of it, i eat half a baguette of garlic bread with me tea everynight lol but surely that cannot be the culprit ,,,ive read a lot about stress affecting the middle area and believe you me ive been highly stressed for about 2 years now....after some research ive ordered something called holy basil...which is supposed to reduce cortisol levels just wondering if anyone has tried this?

You cannot eat garlic bread in those quantities and get rid of belly fat, no way, Horizontal planks and leg raises will help.

The what now? :huh:
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Can we please get an "LOL" button?
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    OP, I learned in post-anesthesia recovery after surgery that, even if they aren't visible, all that exercise likely has an effect. I'd had my last solid food about 28-30 hours earlier and my last sip of liquid about 16 hours earlier. The nurse asked me if I felt up for some apple juice, which I did. Then he asked me, "Could you try sitting up a little and I'll crank the bed up behind you?" Which basically meant, "It's easier to crank up the bed if you're able to help a bit and not lie there like dead weight." Well, I sat up fully and immediately, at which point, the nurse said, "You've got some really great trunk muscles."

Like you, mine are hidden under belly fat. I've got some definition on my arms and legs. I think I'm seeing some on my upper back. But my abdomen hasn't yet shown any visible changes. However, thanks to post-surgery, I recognize that there have been some definite changes.

I learned this recently too! Abdominal surgery, even though it was only laparoscopic, was brutal and all the nurses were shocked that I, a 300lb person, was up and moving 3 hours post-op.

I wish beyond anything I lost fat on my middle before anywhere else, but alas, I've got a crazy hourglass even though I'm big, and while I'm losing from everywhere, it's smaller amounts from the places I'm biggest. Boo. It just takes time, though, as long as the calories are in deficit.