Weight loss and weight lifting!

Options
Hi guys! I've been weight lifting for 8 weeks now and going 3 times a week for a minimum of 1 hour in a Morning, when I'm at work I'm really good at clean eating but at home when the kids are in bed I eat *kitten*! I've increased my protine intake too.....yes I know I'm eating some *kitten* on a night but I just can't help but feel crap because I can see no changes at all yet! Do I need to add cardio into my routine as well? I've got a treadmill at home (currently a clothes hanger admittidly) and some hans weights too......can someone kick my girly back side and tell me my flabby overweight body will change soon? I'm 5'9 weigh 110kg and in a size 20 (uk)......inspire me please!

Replies

• jwillow1987
    jwillow1987 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think I was hoping that if I got the weight lifting under way the better eating would naturally follow but that hasn't happened yet and I think I need to kick my bum into gear with my eating! Thanks for your reply x
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    Are you in a calorie deficit, and how do you know? Are you using a food scale? Just for losing weight it doesn't matter what you eat. You can eat crap and be in a deficit and you lose, eat healthy but too much and you gain.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    find someone else to insult you and kick your *kitten* ;)

strength training is more about what you do - and how it progresses - than about absolute time in the gym. you didn't say anything about that, so i can't know if this is part of the issue. but if you're not challenging yourself and you're not able to measure how you're lifting today compared with last session or last week or last month, then i can imagine it would be very easy to lose your bearings and have no idea whether what you're doing is getting you anywhere.

if you're not doing a progressive strength programme of some kind, then look into that. it's not like there's a direct relationship between weight lifted and weight lost, btw. but while you're waiting to lose the weight, it does help a lot to have something else to focus on in terms of goals.

and yes, ime at least: focusing more on 'how strong am i getting' DOES pay off down the line in terms of seeing actual changes. it's just that it's better to worry about the 'how strong' and let the 'how different' take care of itself.