Gaining weight after gym

Options
kelzank
kelzank Posts: 17 Member
I started my gym last year for 7 months and down with 11kg. But now I'm starting it again with New goal. And it's been a week since I start it but instead of loosing,im gaining weight. How and why? Can you please explain?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    2 things:

1. Are you sore? If you're working out hard and especially if you're sore after, you're likely retaining water as your muscles repair themselves and get stronger. This will cause a bit of water weight gain.
    2. Are you eating more due to the increased activity? If it's not water weight, then possibly you're eating more than you should be.

Welcome back!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    2 things:

1. Are you sore? If you're working out hard and especially if you're sore after, you're likely retaining water as your muscles repair themselves and get stronger. This will cause a bit of water weight gain.
    2. Are you eating more due to the increased activity? If it's not water weight, then possibly you're eating more than you should be.

Welcome back!

Possibly number 1 but I'd emphasise number 2. You haven't given any information about your starting weight, goal weight, height, gender (I'm assuming female from profile pic but confirmation would be good), how much you've lost so far, how much the gain was, what calories you consume, how you measure those calories. This info will help us give a more accurate response.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It is only 6th January, so it could well be normal weight fluctuations anyway.

Make sure you're looking at a weight trend rather than stressing about individual data points (there are free apps that help with this - things like Happy Scale I think), and also give it a full month-long cycle to make sure you can factor out hormonal fluctuations.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Not knowing all your stats makes it hard. How much weight do you need to lose? How tall are you?

The other thing is people expect things to happen so soon or fast. You have not given your body any time to adjust to your new fitness level.Be Patient and log your food and keep your calories within the goal MFP sets and you should be fine. If you dont lose weight in 3-4 weeks then you might with to look closer to what you are eating.

If you just need to lose 10-20lbs then it is gonna be a little harder for you then say someone who needs to lose 50+