Does anyone bank calories?

Options
Kelkat405
Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
Is it possible to use all the calories you were under each day and use them at the end of the week for a special event? Does this change your weight loss calculations? This may be a stupid question, idk. I’m just learning!

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Lots of people utilize this to enjoy more food on the weekends. Just make sure you still track everything and stay under for the week.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Perfect! Thank you!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I often come in under goal by 100-200 during the week, so that I have 500-1000 extra by the weekend which is when we tend to have plans that involve parties or restaurant meals. It didn't hinder my weight loss and it hasn't hurt me in maintenance either.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I do! We tend to eat out or do social get togethers on the weekends, so I eat less during the week so I can splurge more when we go out.
  • rosson
    rosson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I didnt think of doing this. Any other tricks?
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yup could be a great tool if you are tracking correctly. I personally just keep to my calories each day and then reset the following day, I like eating all i can each day so i'm not tempted to binge.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If I know something is coming up,, I personally will try to bank two days before, and two days after. Don't know if it makes any real difference, but it majes me feel like I'm accomplishing something,lol. If I didn't plan on overeating, then I usually try to balsnce out over the next two days. Again,no real reason I picked two days, just seemed like it's logically close enough to help. Any further out and I just feel like I'm just wasting effort.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    That's what I do. I used to diet with Weight Watchers many years ago and got hooked on banking and looking more at weekly calories. Much easier than trying to eat the same amount of calories everyday.
  • dawncira
    dawncira Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yep! I do it...always have a few extra calories left over the end of the week so I usually order a small pizza. It keeps me in check from losing my mind and binge eating everything in my house.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    a weekly surplus/deficit is a fine way to maintain a calorie budget especially when daily fluctuations are common or you know for certain there will be a huge party or weekend coming up.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    rosson wrote: »
    I didnt think of doing this. Any other tricks?

If you're relatively new with MFP you may not be aware that your calorie goal is a net one, meaning that if you exercise and log those calories, you should eat at least some of those back.

Also what works for me when going to restaurants is to check menus ahead of time and then do a preliminary assessment of the calorie impact - that way I know how many cals I may need to have saved up, I can prioritize the things I really want to eat, not just order mindlessly at a restaurant under pressure and then regret it when I go to log it later.