How do I lose weight under immense stress?

Options
I have never been so emotionally stressed in my life due to circumstances beyond my control.I am not able to go to the gym or work and for the next little while I am staying with family/ home all day and they all eat unhealthy meals/ theirs a lot of processed food in the house.

Replies

• cheeri0z
    cheeri0z Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    cheeri0z wrote: »
    I have never been so emotionally stressed in my life due to circumstances beyond my control.I am not able to go to the gym or work and for the next little while I am staying with family/ home all day and they all eat unhealthy meals/ theirs a lot of processed food in the house.

BTW I used MFP with great success 2 years ago but I was going to the gym everyday and now I am very sedentary.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options

BTW I used MFP with great success 2 years ago but I was going to the gym everyday and now I am very sedentary.

Weight loss is from a calorie deficit. Exercise can help maintain that calorie deficit, but it is not necessary to weight loss, nor it "health" food. EAT LESS.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Go for long walks. I had a period where that was the only thing that kept me from suicide.

If others are eating unhealthy, that doesn't mean you have to. Get some fruit and veggies that you can snack on. If others are cooking, eat what they fix, but in smaller portions. Or skip some meals entirely and just eat one or two with the family.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If your situation is temporary you might consider taking the time to practice eating at maintenance and not trying to lose weight. It can add even more difficulty to an already stressful situation.
  • cheeri0z
    Options
    If your situation is temporary you might consider taking the time to practice eating at maintenance and not trying to lose weight. It can add even more difficulty to an already stressful situation.

It could take an year at least to resolve;(
  • cheeri0z
    Options

It could take an year at least to resolve;(

And I worked so hard till this point
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through a difficult time. But keep doing what you've been doing all along-- logging, portion control, striving to stay within calorie goal, move/exercise when you can.

Life will not change. It will ALWAYS throw curve balls and stress at us. Part of sustaining weight loss is learning how to manage stressful times without resorting to bad habits. Obviously, easier said than done.

Recently, I've started doing some meditating. There's a great, free app called stop, breathe, think. Has guided meditation that are 2-5 min. In general, I'm not really the type of person who meditates, but my life has been super crazy, hectic, and stressful lately. Taking 5 minutes during the day to focus has really helped me.

Good luck.
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am sending you a big hug and a possible plan.

You wish to eat a certain way. Others wish to eat a different way. Both are fine. Do NOT jeopardize your health goals. Go after them, quietly and without explanation.

You want two eggs scrambled with mushrooms and one slice of wheat toast for breakfast? Buy the eggs. Buy the mushrooms. Freeze the bread and take out your one slice.

Buy the sliced turkey needed for lunch. Buy the lean meat for dinner and fix it, or eat the family meal, log it, after figuring out how much fits your goals.

In a stressful situation, nourish yourself and be healthy and available for your responsibilities.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You're staying with family right? So then they should love you and care about your health and your goals, right? Have you tried explaining any of this to them? Here are some things you can start doing though.

Offer to do the grocery shopping and pick up their stuff as well as stuff for yourself. Or, go out and get it when you have a few minutes. Frozen veggies, oatmeal, fruit, pre-cooked chicken, eggs, yogurt- all easy to make and won't spoil quickly or take up a lot of space.

Learn portion control. If the family is eating take-out pizza, eat 1 slice, prepare a salad to go with it and be done. Or homemade mac and cheese- eat a serving and microwave some broccoli to go with it.

Move more. I used to exercise in my room when I couldn't go out. Turn on a TV show and do jumping jacks, run in place, straight jumps, high-knee runs etc while the show is playing. The do squats and lunges when the commercials are on. Next commercial break, do sit ups. Last commercial break, hold planks. You got an hour work out in while keeping yourself entertained.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Do you have someone you can talk to?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Unhealthy meals would lack all nutrients, be poisonous or contaminated. I'm guessing you really mean their meals are higher calorie or use packaged foods not that you will become ill or die from eating them. Weight management is about calories not type of food. Many processed foods contain plenty of nutrients.

Are you completely dependent on them for food? If not then buy and cook some of your own food. Don't eat theirs.
    If you are then see if they will buy you some basic things like salad greens, frozen vegetables, eggs, oatmeal, milk, yogurt.
    Offer to shop and cook for everyone if you are able to. Get more control over your environment and help out people helping you.

Work on managing your stress. Meditate. Talk to someone. Write. Draw. Listen to or make music. Clean. Knit. Focus on helping someone else. Spend some time with friends.
    You don't say if you are physically incapable of working or exercise. If you are able to then stay active. Walking is free. If you have internet access there are lots of free workouts on you tube.