alecschanno
alecschanno Posts: 19 Member
edited January 2018 in Getting Started
Just started a Ketogenic diet:

1806 calories
156 g fats
20 g carbs
81 g protein

Last night I had 8 oz of crumbled up ground beef 90% lean with a cup of shredded cheddar and some pepper. With some black tea to wash it down.

Wish me luck! I think I can, I think I can...!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not bashing your choice, just ask yourself this: Why exactly did you choose keto? You lose weight by consistently eating less. Is keto a diet you can see yourself stick to forever? If you feel you need luck, it means you're not sure you can.
  • alecschanno
    alecschanno Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I mostly meant the good luck bit just out of tradition of wishing someone luck. I'm fairly certain I can do this. Thanks for the concern though. I mostly chose Keto to get to a point where I'll be able to do a normal diet that requires a lot of physical exercise. Right now, there's not much I can do without getting worn out, but once I hit say, 110 or 120, I'll be able to then bulk up.
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No idea how to do Keto, but best of luck. Keep us updated! I'm 5'3, 180lbs. I want to try to get back to 150lbs this year, and then less from there.

Just curious, what was the rest of your day like food wise? That meal you mentioned sounds like it would be about half your calories for the day.
  • featherandpaw
    featherandpaw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm the kind of person where I need rules to keep me from over indulging in food. If keto works for you then go for it! Feel free to add if you need support! Good luck!
  • janelleginnetto
    janelleginnetto Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not the type of person to do that kind of diet, but I am 5'2 and 230 lbs so I know your struggle. I wish you all the best. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • 22forestave
    22forestave Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughters do this diet and it frustrates me to see them want something as simple as an apple or watermelon and deny themselves. Keep an open mind. Good luck.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's just that if you can't do a normal diet now, picking an extreme diet just for the sake of picking an extreme diet, is going to make it harder, not easier, to do a normal diet later.

^ This.

You won't lose weight faster doing keto it's just another way to get your calorie deficit. Keto seems like so much trouble for nothing. My indigestion would be unbelievable with that much fat.
  • Reneeh78
    Reneeh78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will jump in here and wish you luck! I have been keto since March 2016 and it works for me. It does not work for everyone, no diet does. Everyone has to find what fits them. Since going keto I've had several friends and co-workers join me, those that it works for have had great success. It is not a quick fix, it is a lifestyle change. I started at 352 lbs and simple diet and exercise worked at first then it got harder and harder. That's how I came to keto. I had to restrict that much to get results. I've run the gambit when it comes to diets, I've done them all, and going keto is what my body responds to. Do your research, read, prep, do not just jump into any diet just because you've heard so and so says it's great. Do it because it fits your life. I do keto because I don't feel like I'm starving, i don't miss the sweets or carbs most of the time, and if I do I head to Pinterest and find an alternative. Do the work and you will get results. And please, no matter what you try, do not just focus on the scale. That thing is pure evil some days. Measure your body, think about how you feel, are your clothes fitting better, is your skin clearer, is your mental clarity better, and then look at the number on the scale. YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • mic1018
    mic1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with Reneeh78. You should do whatever works for YOU and your body! Keto/Low Carb is a great option for losing weight quickly and for me, that quick weight loss is motivating me to stick to it. I have lost 10 pounds since January 1st, and watching that scale go down is making it much easier to stick to my plan. My goal is to do low carb until I lose enough weight to be at a more comfortable size so my body will function better ....knees/hips/etc. Then, I will be able to exercise more easily, and will possibly consider changing to a more sustainable way of eating...or maybe I won't. I will see how I feel when I reach my goal weight and decide at that point. I will wish you luck because wishing someone luck with something does not mean that they think they won't succeed. In my book, it is a motivational statement, and is meant to bolster someone's confidence and belief in themselves. You've got this!