Options
13»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonated_water

Carbon dioxide gas dissolved in water at a low concentration (0.2–1.0%) creates carbonic acid (H2CO3)[9] according to the following reaction:

H2O(l) + CO2(g) ⇌ H2CO3(aq)

The acid gives carbonated water a slightly tart flavor (this is partly due to the carbonic acid). The pH level between 3 and 4[10] is approximately in between apple juice and orange juice in acidity, but much less acidic than the acid in the stomach. The human body robustly maintains pH equilibrium via acid–base homeostasis and will not be affected by consumption of plain carbonated water.[5] If an alkaline salt, such as sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, or potassium citrate is added to the water, its acidity is reduced.

Here I was, being happy I remembered something from chemistry class and you go and quote wikipedia :'(
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great substitute suggestions!!!
  • tessarose49
    tessarose49 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not only do you crave the fizz/caffeine, but also the sugar. That is one of the big issues...
  • mllr1328
    mllr1328 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey and it was hard especially since my husband likes to keep some in the house. After a few weeks of drinking water I took a sip of one and it wasn’t nearly as satisfying as it was before. It’s tough but you just gotta give it a good shot and stick with it.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    My husband easily made the switch to Coke Zero. I just don't care for it. It's not the same and full on sugary Coke.

Instead, I drastically cut how much I drink. I either buy the tiny 7.5 oz cans and have 1/day or very occasionally get a kid's size if I'm out and don't refill. I also bought those tiny stir straws and drink from them because it causes the very small amount to last longer.

Over time, I've gotten used to drinking less and now I couldn't possibly finish a large one.
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I drank diet pop for as long as I can remember. Once I got a sodastream and worked at a gas station I was drinking almost 8 cans of pop a day. Although it was diet I still knew it wasn't good for me. I started suffering from migraines and a nutritionist told me I had to give up the pop because of the caffeine. I have also heard that the carbonation is bad for your bones (don't know for sure). So I quit it, I missed the caffeine so I have one v8 energy per day which has some caffeine and little bubbles. Otherwise, I drink 7 cups of crystal light green tea a day.

Carbonation is not bad for your bones unless you are also reducing your calcium intake.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-carbonated-water-bad-for-you/
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to drink diet soda instead. I want to cut back slowly and eventually just have a can at family parties or something,
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Switch to smoothies or juicing

Why? This can add as much sugar and calories as a can of soda will and juice has very little nutritional value.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Switch to smoothies or juicing

This could easily result in even more calories than what is found in soda.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey 5 or 6 years ago, maybe longer now. I can't even stand the taste of coke or pepsi anymore, since I quit drinking it for so long.

Once in awhile, I'll treat my self to root beer though.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    Now take in all the acid and other artificial crap they put in though. I would take water over soda any day.

My Diet Coke does have citric acid - dangerous lemon juice!