Do you take days off of tracking?

Options
Okay guys so I’m a goal weight and just working on recomp now and I’ve realized that I absolutely never take a day off tracking even though I have a super good idea of portions and food at this point. I think yes just become apart of my routine! Out of curiosity, does anyone take days off of tracking? I’m considering playing around with a tracking break to see how my intuition will do for 30 days. Has anyone tried this before?

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It might be an educational experiment. I'd recommend continuing to weight yourself and maybe use a trending app so you can see how it goes. Let us know who you fare and what you learn from it.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have done it. I am back at it because I put on 15 or so pounds last year eating stress. When I get it back off, I will probably continue to log for 4-6 months and then log once a week to keep myself on track.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I take days off. I’m a person prone to obsessing about food and just coming to terms that I’m “allowed” to not track is probably good for me in the long run.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yes. I just watch the scale now.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It might be an educational experiment. I'd recommend continuing to weight yourself and maybe use a trending app so you can see how it goes. Let us know who you fare and what you learn from it.
    100% I would still weigh myself once a week like I do now :)
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i have been actively trying to work towards taking days off tracking. Im not quite there yet but for me my issue is i get obsessive i have always loved the weight loss math and now that im pretty close to where i wanna be weight wise i know i need to loosen up. I need to practice middle ground, Im currently still tracking the majority but im loosening up on if i want a little ketchup above my calorie goals, Cool ill have a bit of ketchup. Or if iv hit my goal and want a small snack im practicing reaching for low calorie options. Its okay to go over some days basically is what im trying to teach self, If im really hungry or want something. I think its good practice for maintenance to first be okay with going over my goals, While also training myself to reach for healthy options.

So one day hopefully, Not there yet :p I figure in maintenance ill still track, Just loosely. And adjust as the scale does. And try to avoid the all or nothing mindset i have, Christmas binge was bad. lol. If i can learn to avoid those, Maintaining without tracking will be easier
    I totally relate wth this! ive also found that I’ve gotten quite obsessive with it and that I,super regimented so I’m now in the process of trying to loosen the reigns! We’ll get there!! Going over by even 10 cals used to give me genuine anxiety but now that I’m even thinner than my original goal weight, I know there’s no need to be this pedantic!
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    I take days off. I’m a person prone to obsessing about food and just coming to terms that I’m “allowed” to not track is probably good for me in the long run.
    I know! I’m prone to the obsession so I this is what I need to do
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I did, but I also was intentionally giving allowing mysekf more crap than nornal, because I was on vacation and ther were lits of nrw food options to taste.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    No. If you save your calories and junk for one day you’re not making any progress. Cheat days shouldn’t exist in my opinion. What makes then better than now?

Cheat day =/= not logging
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Since you are maintaining it can be a good time to give it a try. I stopped logging years ago (sometimes I check certain foods or log one day here and there) but mostly I just track my weight and adjust my intake accordingly. I am pretty good with intuitive eating though (in deficit, maintenance or gaining even) .. it can get easier over time with practice, but some people will always need to track.

You can start by not tracking one day a week, then move to a few days, then tracking only one macro (protein for example).. then maybe move to not at all.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    No. If you save your calories and junk for one day you’re not making any progress. Cheat days shouldn’t exist in my opinion. What makes then better than now?

Of course you can still make progress with cheat days. You can also make progress without logging at all. Maybe it doesn't work for you, but it doesn't mean it can't work for others.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Okay guys so I’m a goal weight and just working on recomp now and I’ve realized that I absolutely never take a day off tracking even though I have a super good idea of portions and food at this point. I think yes just become apart of my routine! Out of curiosity, does anyone take days off of tracking? I’m considering playing around with a tracking break to see how my intuition will do for 30 days. Has anyone tried this before?

I take every day off tracking. Only thing I care about is what the scale says. If it needs to go down, I eat in a smaller eating window which helps me to reduce calories.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Either log or watch the scale. I stopped doing both and ended up 21lb back on.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have days (normally vacation time) off of weighing my food but on these days I still log, using guesstimate only. I worked hard to get to this weight and want to successfully maintain for well over a year before I begin to loosen up a bit more.