Shampoo help!!

Options
I have pretty frizzy hair and I feel like I'm damaging my hair now that I'm washing it more often. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and need something that isn't going to kill my hair. Not washing it or using dry shampoo isn't an option..

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have very thick, frizzy curly hair that needs to be wet to be styled in any way. I shampoo and condition twice a week, and only condition it all the other days.

You may want to consider baby shampoo, as an alternative.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Maybe putting it in a bun or ponytail will keep it away from your sweat, so you donct have to wash as often? Unless you swim of course, then there's no way to avoid needing to wash.
    Otherwise, try baby shampoo with conditioner for light wash, and then your regular shampoo before a date.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have thin hair that gets frizzy and flyaway during dry weather. Sweat makes my hair cling to my scalp! Anyway, I wear my hair in a ponytail or in a clip while working out. After a workout, I might take my ponytail out, brush it out, then put it back in a ponytail. It looks just fine. For me, it's a waste of time to wash my hair every single day, use the blow dryer, etc. Plus it is damaging. If I have to wash it, I spray a leave on conditioner on it, which gets rid of any frizz and is a great detangler. Plus it smells good! The brand I'm most happy with is Design Line Ultimate Radiance, which you can pick up at a Regis salon. But honestly, I've got my hair washing down to three or four days a week, and use a dry shampoo if things are looking a little limp or greasy. Saves the day! (And baby shampoo wasn't good on my hair. I use Pureology Pure Volume shampoo. I think I got it at a beauty supply store)
  • Poweredbycoffee06
    Poweredbycoffee06 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have to wash my hair daily because of the type of work I do. I work outside and by the end of the the day my hair is full of grass and saw dust, so it would be disgusting if I didn't. I use a good moisturizing shampoo and I make my own leave in conditioner. I haven't had a problem with damage or split ends.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Are you swimming? Your hair looks like mine only I'm alot older--but I swim 3 times a week and my hair, that used to be brittle, is now in great shape (hair dresser said so, and asked what I do). If it's swimming, then I'll go into how I solved the problem. Don't worry, not selling anything. You can use whatever products you like--I look for the cheapest since I wash my hair 4 times a week.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My hair is very thick and frizzy.

I put it in a bun when I work out then just wet the roots to get rid of the sweat.

Twice a week I put coconut oil on it before bed with a shower cap on and wash it off the next morning.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Unless you're swimming, you really shouldn't need to wash your hair that often. I usually wear mine in a pony tail and can get away with washing 2-3 times a week.

That said, make sure your shampoo is sulfate free and you can also alternate washing with shampoo and just rinsing and using conditioner.
  • Rebecca9048
    Rebecca9048 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, maybe try Shea Moisture (I have the Superfruit kind). I have thick, coarse hair with frizz and I wash it every few days. But if I do end up washing it more frequently, that’s the brand I use. It feels more moisturizing and less clarifying than my usual stuff.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have pretty frizzy hair and I feel like I'm damaging my hair now that I'm washing it more often. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and need something that isn't going to kill my hair. Not washing it or using dry shampoo isn't an option..

Do you really need to shampoo your hair every day or could you just rinse it with water some days?

I have fine not curly hair that I wash every other day even if I exercise. When it is dry or fly away I have been using a bit of aloe gel on it. It makes my hair feel nice.
    I have read of people with other hair types using aloe.
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/kinky-hair-type-4a/5-ways-to-use-aloe-vera-gel
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Seriously, I got 2 "Woos" for recommending to not wash every day and use sulfate free shampoo?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I got 2 "Woos" for recommending to not wash every day and use sulfate free shampoo?

I think some people are confused about what woos mean still. I've gotten some very weird ones too. Either that or some people are just really woo happy.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »

I think some people are confused about what woos mean still. I've gotten some very weird ones too. Either that or some people are just really woo happy.

HAHAHA...I hope that's what's going on, it was solid advice!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

I’ve seen a lot of misplaced woos on here lately lol. I think there’s a lot of new people since it’s a new year, and they don’t know what it means.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Also, I only wash my hair 2x a week and use dry shampoo the other days. If you have a hair appt in the near future I would ask your stylist what she recommends... I’m no help because my hair is horrible lately with split ends and general unhealthiness
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I don't use shampoo and my hair is wavy and has never felt thicker or healthier since going no poo. If that's not for you then it's truly just trial and error anyway. What works for someone else may or may not work for you. It's all relative to each person or head of hair. :) Good luck!
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find lush solid shampoos and conditioners to be gentle enough to use every day
  • 0305bp
    0305bp Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you want to wash every day maybe try something like “New Wash” from hairstory. It’s a non detergent shampoo that is great for my wavy frizzy hair, while being just enough of cleanser that my scalp doesn’t feel gross and sweaty. It’s expensive though, especially if you are washing every day. Maybe you can get away with a rinse and scalp massage a few times a week (assuming you have dry frizzy hair vs greasy hair).
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Put your hair up in a bun or top knot so the ends don't get sweaty or tangled. Shampoo just the roots and use a good conditioner. Add a leave in if it's still getting frizzy.
  • EmperorBlack
    EmperorBlack Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lennonluv2 wrote: »
    I don't use shampoo and my hair is wavy and has never felt thicker or healthier since going no poo. If that's not for you then it's truly just trial and error anyway. What works for someone else may or may not work for you. It's all relative to each person or head of hair. :) Good luck!

What do you use instead? Genuinely curious as my hair is horrible and I’ve yet to find something to make it manageable for me :)