Sugar Intake & Amount of Cals Per Day

Options
According to MFP these are my goals per day:

1400 cals
193 carb
47 fat
53 protein
28 sugar

Not really sure how MFP calculates these. I know it's based on my goals and profile, but I'm not sure if these are "normal" or how accurate.

I've been trying to monitor my sugar intake, but I keep seeming to go over, by A LOT. I love fruit, but know it tends to be high in sugar (my biggest loves are blueberries, raspberries, grapes, pears, plums, mango (super high in sugar), and bananas. I desperately need suggestions for foods low in sugar!

Also, MFP is allowing me 1400 cals a day. I set my exercise goal to 5 days a week for 30 mins/day. My current weight is 164, goal weight 145. I'm 5'8". I have a desk job so I'm pretty sedentary during the day. I am wondering if 1400 cals is enough? Maybe I am just used to eating so much more. I'd appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, and input!

Replies

• Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    1400 has a calorie deficit built in to lose weight at the pace you specified. When you exercise, it will add more calories to what you can eat, so your NET calorie target will stay at 1400, but your actual intake allowance will reflect your workouts.
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    eating vegetable (green and or leafy) have fewer sugars than fruit. Many carbs you eat have sugar in them as well, so watch out for your intake on those as well. As for the 1400 calories, it depends on what you set your goal to be.
  • panda0920
    Options
    If your main sugar is the source of fruit, try to remember how a carbohydrate (the fruit version) burns. It is used differently and burns differently than a processed sugar. I always give myself a bit more allowance there, because those will be the first sources of energy (aside from my protein) that'll go first.

And to cut down on even the good sugars, I don't suggest a sugar replacement, such as aspartame, unless you can control your cravings and don't mind a tiny bit of bloating because that's some of the side effects. Maybe try a whole grain replacement. Those still have carbs which break down into simple sugars.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    I was in the same boat. But after I did a little bit of Google research on sugar, I found that sugar from fruit and veggies is really different then cane sugar, or processed sugar. I started drinking a lot of blended fruit and veggie smoothies and my sugar intake went way up. But it hasn't had any negative effect on me.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. Keep exercising because your heart depends on it.! I read some where that you can die early from a sedentary life style. So exercise is so important to me when I am off work. Also take frequent breaks from your desk to prevent stiffness in muscles. Circulation is the key to keep your muscles healthy so you can continuing your exercise outside of work. (I know this not related to your topic but just thought I add my experience since I sit in front of a computer all day.)

Exercise alone won't help you loose weight, so choose healthy foods wisely..... Good luck!
  • Jerseygirl02
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I am in the same boat and would rather not cut down on eating fruits.
  • KatyFace9801
    KatyFace9801 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I never believed that fruit could possibly be hurting my weight loss.
    but after weeks of plateau, I didn't eat any fruit for a week & lost a pound
  • AMA983
    AMA983 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If your main sugar is the source of fruit, try to remember how a carbohydrate (the fruit version) burns. It is used differently and burns differently than a processed sugar. I always give myself a bit more allowance there, because those will be the first sources of energy (aside from my protein) that'll go first.

And to cut down on even the good sugars, I don't suggest a sugar replacement, such as aspartame, unless you can control your cravings and don't mind a tiny bit of bloating because that's some of the side effects. Maybe try a whole grain replacement. Those still have carbs which break down into simple sugars.

Yes, my main sugar is in my fruit. I rarely use aspartame (only if I have a soda, which is maybe a couple times a month) and I don't use artificial sweetener if I drink tea (not a coffee drinker). Thanks for the info re: the carbs in fruit!
  • mponeil1982
    Options
    If you're getting your sugars from fruits, I don't think you have to really worry a heck of a lot. The real problems with sugar come in the table sugar form.

Table sugar contains fructose and glucose. The body will use the glucose right away (thus the sugar high people tend to feel). The flipside, however, comes when the body goes to convert the fructose to glucose. If your body doesn't need any more glucose, it'll be stored as fat. There is really a lot more going on too with insulin release and the like and it gets rather technical from what I've researched.

Fruits contain fructose only. Your body has to convert that to glucose before it can use it as energy. This conversion process allows for a more steady increase in your blood sugar levels, which you body will gradually use as it's being converted. You stand a far better chance of actually using energy from these fruits instead of storing it.

I think there is a general misconception between fructose and high fructose corn syrup from research I've done online. I think people see 'fructose' and automatically assume the worst. That's not true. High Fructose Corn Syrup is a present day enemy.
  • AMA983
    Options
    I have a desk job too. Keep exercising because your heart depends on it.! I read some where that you can die early from a sedentary life style. So exercise is so important to me when I am off work. Also take frequent breaks from your desk to prevent stiffness in muscles. Circulation is the key to keep your muscles healthy so you can continuing your exercise outside of work. (I know this not related to your topic but just thought I add my experience since I sit in front of a computer all day.)

Exercise alone won't help you loose weight, so choose healthy foods wisely..... Good luck!

I've had the same desk job for 5.5 years so I know exercise is crucial. My mom has always been very healthy but my dad recently passed away from a heart attack. He was overweight for quite a while, bad eating habits, and virtually no exercise. It's kind of kicked me in the butt and made me realize I NEED to exercise, especially cardio. I also have some knee issues, which I went to PT for. Pilates, combined with PT, has really helped me. I've never been a runner, so for cardio I try to walk (brisk pace) or bike.
  • AMA983
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I am in the same boat and would rather not cut down on eating fruits.

Me either! I try my best to eat my veggies, but I would choose fruit any day! :)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be unpopular and disagree (sorry) with some of the other posters. Sugar is sugar - yes, sugar that comes in fruit has fiber and nutrients with it and so it doesn't spike your blood sugar way up super fast the way refined sugar does, but your liver still has to process the sugar eventually. And your liver can only take about 40 grams of sugar at a time whether you ate it in your frosted flakes or your banana.

But alas, I digress...

I don't like MFP's default settings - I recommend changing your macros to 40% carbohydrate, 30% fat and 30% protein. MFP (IMHO) is too low on protein in it's recommendation. You need protein to help maintain lean muscle tissue as you lose weight.

Right now, MFP has you set at 8% of your calories from sugar. This is a good recommendation - books I've read suggest no more than 6-10% of your calories from sugar. I have mine set at 10% (eh, I love sugar). To get this number: your daily calories x .10 = a number. Take this number and divide by 4 = your daily grams of sugar. Going up to 10% will give you a little more room.

I DO count sugars from fruits as sugar. Therefore, I don't eat much fruit. I try to get my fiber/nutrients from veggies instead because they are lower in sugar. :) When I do eat fruit, I try to stay with the lower glycemic fruits like strawberries and blueberries.

As far as calories - play around with it some. For me, 1200 wasn't sustainable long term for me while trying to lose weight. I'm now happily losing at 1500 calories (I currently weigh 125 lbs, 5'5.5"), this is close to my maintenance calories, but I'm also very close to my maintenance weight, so oh well!

Remember to eat clean and eat lots of fiber - this will help you feel full and satisfied (along with the protein) and will give you a super healthy body! You can get alot in at 1500 calories. Check out my diary if you need ideas on how to manage your sugar and get your protein and fiber! (Disclaimer - I have my bad days too!)
  • AMA983
    Options
    I'm going to be unpopular and disagree (sorry) with some of the other posters. Sugar is sugar - yes, sugar that comes in fruit has fiber and nutrients with it and so it doesn't spike your blood sugar way up super fast the way refined sugar does, but your liver still has to process the sugar eventually. And your liver can only take about 40 grams of sugar at a time whether you ate it in your frosted flakes or your banana.

But alas, I digress...

I don't like MFP's default settings - I recommend changing your macros to 40% carbohydrate, 30% fat and 30% protein. MFP (IMHO) is too low on protein in it's recommendation. You need protein to help maintain lean muscle tissue as you lose weight.

Right now, MFP has you set at 8% of your calories from sugar. This is a good recommendation - books I've read suggest no more than 6-10% of your calories from sugar. I have mine set at 10% (eh, I love sugar). To get this number: your daily calories x .10 = a number. Take this number and divide by 4 = your daily grams of sugar. Going up to 10% will give you a little more room.

I DO count sugars from fruits as sugar. Therefore, I don't eat much fruit. I try to get my fiber/nutrients from veggies instead because they are lower in sugar. :) When I do eat fruit, I try to stay with the lower glycemic fruits like strawberries and blueberries.

As far as calories - play around with it some. For me, 1200 wasn't sustainable long term for me while trying to lose weight. I'm now happily losing at 1500 calories (I currently weigh 125 lbs, 5'5.5"), this is close to my maintenance calories, but I'm also very close to my maintenance weight, so oh well!

Remember to eat clean and eat lots of fiber - this will help you feel full and satisfied (along with the protein) and will give you a super healthy body! You can get alot in at 1500 calories. Check out my diary if you need ideas on how to manage your sugar and get your protein and fiber! (Disclaimer - I have my bad days too!)

Thank you SO MUCH. This is great info. I will definitely check out your food diary!
  • Jerseygirl02
    Options
    This is great info. Thank you:)