This is bs

Options
What about homemade food. It selected store food for me & won't allow me to edit the foods names & stote

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you're making your meals from scratch, the best way to enter it is by ingredient, either straight in to your diary or the recipe builder.
    Random homemade foods in the database could be anything, you don't know ingredients or how they've been prepared.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You can't edit the database entries unless you created them. You need to choose the correct entry first.

MFP is a massive global food database. Every homemade meal is different. You don't want someone else's homemade dish unless you followed every ingredient to the gram.

I suggest adding the individual foods within the dish.

Learn how to log accurately here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    You can't edit the database entries unless you created them. You need to choose the correct entry first.

This is not true. You can edit any database entry that doesn't have the green "verified" check mark. When you have searched for a food and selected (but not logged) it, click on "nutrition information" in the box that lets you edit the serving size (this is on the website; I don't what it looks like on the app). It will show all the macro and micro info and ask you if it is correct. If you click on "no," it will ask you if you want to edit it.

But the rest of this is right on target:
    MFP is a massive global food database. Every homemade meal is different. You don't want someone else's homemade dish unless you followed every ingredient to the gram.

I suggest adding the individual foods within the dish.

Learn how to log accurately here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you enter each ingredient and its weight. if its a recipe, you use the recipe builder.

how i make fishtacos is different how anyone else makes fish tacos.

same goes for any home made meal.

almost everything i log, is in the recipe builder.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I never use the food database because it can be edited, or entered incorrectly. I enter everything manually and don't add it to the database, that way I can be sure everything entered in my diary is correct.
  • Penny1js
    Penny1js Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I either enter the entire recipe, for recipes I know I will use often, or enter the ingredients for simple recipes or one time recipes. You do need to review all the ingredient entries to find one that matches what you are using. I put ina whole wheat pancake recipe this morning and got an odd entry for whole wheat flour, so I did a replace and got the right entry.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It’s easiest for me to enter by ingredient (don’t forget cooking oil), and I total and save frequent dishes
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    For whole foods, add “usda” to the search to skip over the processed food entries. You still have to check them for accuracy.
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I enter my recipes. It is important for my health to stay within my doctor’s guidelines. I cannot guess that someone’s recipe or restaurant will match mine. Once most of your regular recipes are in there it is quite easy to log.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    One of the best things for me about MFP is the food database. You just need to learn to use it instead of cursing it.Take a little time to work with it. It can be a very valuable tool.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What about homemade food. It selected store food for me & won't allow me to edit the foods names & stote

keep trying. you'll get it. unless it's a recipe i know i'll use i just enter the individual ingredients. other than coffee for me i've never used any of the recipes i've entered.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    For a lot of foods I make frequently, but with tweaks each time, I find it easier to input the ingredients individually the first time, then save it as a meal.

When you re-use a meal, it copies the individual ingredients into your daily diary, and it's easy to edit a line or two to change quantity or to delete a line for an ingredient that you didn't include this time. (The saved meal isn't affected, unless you save/replace it.)

When you re-use a recipe, it comes into your daily diary as a single line. If you want to edit for today's use, you have to go edit the recipe, changing it permanently, then bring it into your daily diary as a one-liner.

I only use the recipe builder for recipes I don't vary (some baked goods) or dishes for a potluck or freezer or some such thing where the per serving idea is particularly useful. But I'm not cooking for a family, just for me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

keep trying. you'll get it. unless it's a recipe i know i'll use i just enter the individual ingredients. other than coffee for me i've never used any of the recipes i've entered.

I mostly cook just for myself, so I use the recipe builder mainly for recipes that make multiple servings. That way, even if I never make it again, it still saves me time on future meals when I eat the leftovers, even if I never make that particular recipe again.

Also, I "recycle" recipes that I don't expect to make again. Let's say I'm making a new bread recipe. I find a saved bread recipe that uses some or even most of the same ingredients, and just edit it to tweak a few things.