Is it possible for a returning unfit ex runner to take 10 minutes off my 5 mile time of 45 minutes

Options
Hi All

This is my first post on Fitness Pal.
I am an ex sportsman who bordered on the elite scale in Boxing and long distance running in my younger days as an under 30 year old who never went that extra mile, Hey ho!, and I enjoyed life as well

Anyway, fast forward 25 odd years and focus on the last decade in particular. I was once a fit 155 Lb who ended up over 180 Lb, work and life got in the way as well as having a terminally ill family member that took it's toll, and add food and the demon drink to the equation I got into a bit of a mess. I would not say I did nothing in the way of training over the years, but it was pretty lame compared to my younger days.

Ignoring the light bulb moment and sudden awakenings, I have in recent months taken to the road once again, boxing is out as a 55 year old :) . My diet is now spot on and I have given up the booze, now down to 165 Lb already. I knew my first runs were going to be pitiful, and they were, miles off my sub 6 minute mile pace as a kid. But in no time I was knocking out 45 minute 5 mile runs, and trust me, if you seen what I had done with myself you would understand my joy at that achievement.

The old john is back :-) I feel different, happy even, my skin feels good and my stomach is settled and my mental state is taking two step forwards to one step back, that's good for me.

My Question now...

I sort of know the answer, I think I do, or maybe I am being delusional. I know I am not going back to my younger days, but if I do lose that other 7 LB plus I intend to shed and Keep training hard along with cross training, could I possibly get my speed back to a sub 35 minute 5 mile run, 10 minute improvement on what I am doing now?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    Nobody knows what you are ultimately capable of doing. What you can do is improve from where you are now, and you do that by training smart. That means increasing your base gradually, doing some structured speedwork, and not getting injured. Read some of the literature on training by Jack Daniels, Pete Pfitzinger, Brad Hudson, etc. Find a group of runners who are serious about training and learn from them. You can get faster. Whether you can drop two minutes per mile is impossible to say. A lot depends on who consistent you are in training. So a lot of it is up to you.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi John,

My story is similar. I too let myself go after being athletic in my youth. I ran off and on from age 30 to 45 (more off than on - sometimes 2 or 3 years between runs). Then a few years ago I got serious. I took tremendous time off my pace and achieved all sorts of new PRs. As I was doing this I assumed the upward trend would continue for many years. Needless to say I was (not) surprised to find that my progress in the first 18 months slowed and now I have to fight for every gain. I will be 49 in a few weeks and I am happy to say I am still improving. The pace is slower and I have to work harder but I am getting faster. I don't consider this a bad thing - just more motivation to get up every day and get after it.

Good luck. Old dogs can (re)learn new tricks. :D
  • johncharles1962
    johncharles1962 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nobody knows what you are ultimately capable of doing. What you can do is improve from where you are now, and you do that by training smart. That means increasing your base gradually, doing some structured speedwork, and not getting injured. Read some of the literature on training by Jack Daniels, Pete Pfitzinger, Brad Hudson, etc. Find a group of runners who are serious about training and learn from them. You can get faster. Whether you can drop two minutes per mile is impossible to say. A lot depends on who consistent you are in training. So a lot of it is up to you.

Hi spirit.

I do understand that it impossible to say with certainty without knowing me, only I know how driven I am when motivated, the question then is it possible for anyone to do what I suggest I would like to do. I don't think a 10% improvement from being a total mess is out of the question given some good training and good living, 20% with hard training? Mmmm, is that too much
  • johncharles1962
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Hi John,

My story is similar. I too let myself go after being athletic in my youth. I ran off and on from age 30 to 45 (more off than on - sometimes 2 or 3 years between runs). Then a few years ago I got serious. I took tremendous time off my pace and achieved all sorts of new PRs. As I was doing this I assumed the upward trend would continue for many years. Needless to say I was (not) surprised to find that my progress in the first 18 months slowed and now I have to fight for every gain. I will be 49 in a few weeks and I am happy to say I am still improving. The pace is slower and I have to work harder but I am getting faster. I don't consider this a bad thing - just more motivation to get up every day and get after it.

Good luck. Old dogs can (re)learn new tricks. :D

One thing I left out Dew is that I smoked when I was at my peak :smile: , but God did I train hard in Bursts. another thing I believe now, weight/fat is more destructive than I ever thought, I am already noticing things getting easier as the pounds are shed.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    John, It absolutely is possible. Your speed is going to come from a strength to weight ratio. I'm sure from your experience that you know how to do training runs (fartleks, hills, etc.) to improve endurance. Pair that with a well-structured weight lifting program and you'll get faster. For your legs, focus on the eccentric part of the lifts as it will be more strength and less mass.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Totally. I see this all the time. Talent doesn't disappear. You'll just have to dig a while. The hard part will be not over-doing it, and trying to build too quickly. Just do base miles and one or two Fartlek type workouts per week. You will be there in no time. (We're about the same age.)
  • johncharles1962
    Options
    John, It absolutely is possible. Your speed is going to come from a strength to weight ratio. I'm sure from your experience that you know how to do training runs (fartleks, hills, etc.) to improve endurance. Pair that with a well-structured weight lifting program and you'll get faster. For your legs, focus on the eccentric part of the lifts as it will be more strength and less mass.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast

Thanks Allan

That's just what I needed to hear :) And I am loving my Fartlek right now, used to be my most hated type of training as I thought it was a cop out. I have this one favourite run/walk now around my local 9 mile circumference lake, I am not fast, but it is a joy(1hr 20 min ish)

Last few runs I have done there is something in me that is ignoring the usual "it's your age John" or "no way fatty" that mates say to me, something is telling me there is more there, and more than ever I understand that extra 20 Lb in weight is a huge drawback. I once was a 75 min or less HM runner, there is some kind of muscle memory thing going on right now, I just no my body even after all this time.
  • johncharles1962
    Options
    Right about the weights as well Allan, have decided to do an intense big muscle group type sessions, Dead lifts, squats, bench & military press type of thing
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Yes it's definitely possible.
  • lfdlfd
    lfdlfd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on making a huge change. That takes commitment. I currently run a sub 25 min hilly 5k. Heard of Parkrun.An excellent free worldwideauk timed weekly event. Strangely, I was struggling for a good 7 months to push past the 25 minute plateau...and I was lighter then. Im not competitive at all, except with myself. Then I had 2 stupid calf injuries and had to switch sport to cycling...which I detested, the rest helped..helped. One day late Autumn when I was back on my running after completing my first road marathon I went to Parkrun, it just happened a sub 25 5k!. You seem to be competitive, you have the muscle memory, all in your favour. I too used to be a heavy smoker in my youth. Go for it. Maybe in every run you do, include a section where you are absolutely sprinting until you reach that threshold where you are pushing your intensity so much that you feel like your lungs have dropped out! Ive also found that hilly runs are excellent. I now include a session of pure hill sprints. Agony...but the smug pants are on when its finished! Bit of a ramble, sorry.