hypithyroid and my tsh lsvels

Options
I have an appointment with doctor on wednesday.
My test reports arrived.
I want to discuss that my tsh levels are .396
I am on 150 mcg thyroxine.
But i am finding it impossible to lose weight.

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what any of the thyroid stuff means, but as long as you're eating healthy and within a do-able calorie deficit, you should be able to lose the weight. Might be slow, but it will happen,
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    That TSH is at high end of the old range and outside the new range (.2-2.0); did they only do TSH or other thyroid levels (FT3, FT4 etc)

You may need another bump in Levo
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    How is your logging etc?

@CSARdiver any thoughts?
  • SanaAnum
    SanaAnum Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    it is within the new range if it from .2 to 2
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would ask for free T3 and free T4 tests if you suspect you are not properly medicated. If T3 is not at the middle of normal range, you could benefit from a T3 or natural desiccated thyroid med.

If you are not losing, you are still eating too much (CI) to lose weight. Hypothyroidism, and other health issues, can lower CO (calories out or TDEE) so yo may need to lower your caloric intake for a while.

There is always a chance that you are accidentally eating mire than you think due to incorrect logging or not weighing your food. Just double checking that could help.
  • dailyzey
    dailyzey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Same here, I have been hypothyroid for over 20 years and just recently lost weight by starting on mfp. Once you adjust your dosage, it's pretty much similar like a normal person losing weight.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    WardaRiaz wrote: »
    I have an appointment with doctor on wednesday.
    My test reports arrived.
    I want to discuss that my tsh levels are .396
    I am on 150 mcg thyroxine.
    But i am finding it impossible to lose weight.

As others have said, checking Free T3 and Free T4 in addition to TSH would provide a more complete picture to see if meds might need to be adjusted (like adding a T3 in addition to the 150 thyroxine you’re already in).

Being hypo can lower your NEAT because some of the common symptoms can be legarthy and fatigue which affect the calories out part of the equation. Even if you’re still getting exercise, the intensity may be less than it was previously.

The other thing to do is to make sure your logging is exact. This means using a food scale for all solids (including pre-packaged foods and things like slices of bread and cheese, etc.), and measuring cups and spoons for all liquids.

Once you know your logging is precise, you can adjust the calories in to compensate. If you feel you need to lower calories, I’d suggest dropping 5% from where MFP put your calorie level as long as that doesn’t put you under 1200/day. Leave it that way while your meds are being adjusted. You don’t want to under eat.

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The TSH is essentially useless. Ask your doctor to test your thyroid levels, not your pituitary. Get a Free T3 and Free T4, test your antibodies and see if you can get a reverse T3 (probably not). I can't lose at all on T4 meds like Levothyroxine. I take time release T3.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    "Normal" levels aren't right for everyone -- I know for me, my TSH actually needs to be moderately suppressed for me to feel good. Nevermind the fact that uncontrolled hypo -- uncontrolled for your baseline, that is -- can lead to water weight, which will a) make you gain weight, and b) can be impossible to shove off. (I made the mistake of letting my endo reduce my dosage, despite literature showing that one of my health conditions can artificially suppress TSH. Now I'm trying to shove off the 9 pounds that I gained, and will never again let my endo drop my dose.) Have they tested your free T3 and T4?

But with that said. How do you feel besides the lack of weight loss? What do you eat? How do you count, track, and measure? If you're doing everything right, with as much precision as humanly possible, look at the TSH/thyroid control. If you're not, look at your calories first, and then go back to the TSH/thyroid once you've got that house in order.