Upped my carbs and hunger has increased!

Options
I had been feeling tired, a lot. There could be anunwbr if logical reasons for this.

Over the festive period there were Uber amounts of food and I had expected weight gain which I thought I would sort out when back into normal routine and following a balanced diet. Today:
Skimmed milk, 1 pint and a protein bar at breakfast (I was up early and we were going out for proper breakfast), egg sandwiches for breakfast on multi grain bread with mayo, lunch pizza and salad (healthy pizza lots of tomatoe potion controlled approximately 600 kcal), 3 coffees and an apple. Then returned home had some dark chocolate and the evening a complete failure, snacking all evening and wanting lots of food! Usually I get this at certain times of the month.

I wonder if life carbs are stimulating rather than supressinf my appetite. Any thoughts ? Apart from I could just be greedy?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Some people don't find carbs as satiating. It looks like you are eating a decent amount of fiber though, which usually helps. What rate of loss do you have MFP set to? Maybe you could increase your calories a bit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Where are you in your monthly cycle? Two weeks in or approaching your actual time of the month?

Did you just start back your calorie deficit from 'festive period' in maybe re-adjusting to lower calories making you a little hungrier?

Your day of eating does not look that carb heavy, but I don't know how many carbs you usually eat on a normal day. Why not try to balance your meals to contain more dietary fat/protein and fiber or eating your carbs/fats/protein that provide you with the most satiety to help you with evening snacking.
  • wibblewobblejellyontheplate
    Options
    Hi

Maxxit yes I can be like that too, eating the pizza I ended up finishing off everyone’s crusts too- missed that bit out initially
    Options
    Ooo where did the rest of my post go?
    Follicular stage of cycle so should be a good phase for me. I track my cycle as I do get pmt and usually eat way more on those two weeks prior to menstruation.

I cycled yesterday but only burnt 300 kcal so doesn’t explain my huge increase in kcal intake.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Ooo where did the rest of my post go?
    Follicular stage of cycle so should be a good phase for me. I track my cycle as I do get pmt and usually eat way more on those two weeks prior to menstruation.

I cycled yesterday but only burnt 300 kcal so doesn’t explain my huge increase in kcal intake.

Is this just one day like this? Maybe you were just hungrier today?

If you have increased carbs in your diet (not just this one day) most find that higher carbs are not that satiating and leave them hungrier after consuming them. Trying to find the right balance of protein, carbs, fats and fiber that provides you with the most satiety while trying to lose weight, meal timing as well
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. If I want to be satiated and successful on a cut, I keep carbs on the low side. Not keto low but around 100-150 tops.
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I'm the same. If I want to be satiated and successful on a cut, I keep carbs on the low side. Not keto low but around 100-150 tops.

Everyone's body reacts differently with macros percentages. Carbs are my downfall. If I eat one glazed donut I could literally eat a dozen in one sitting. So, I keep carbs around 100-150g per day and avoid processed sugar. That has worked well so far with me.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs at 25g net. Several things happen over that level... I feel bloated, I start grazing and wanting more carbs, the scale increases. Not everyone has this issue but I've learnt over the last 4 years what the triggers are for me. Try reducing carbs slowly, by 5g a day for a few days and see if you start feeling better. Ensure you're getting adequate protein and fats.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    Too much protein and fat makes me hungry. We're all different I guess. Find out what works for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Too much protein and fat makes me hungry. We're all different I guess. Find out what works for you.

exactly. protein and fat keep me fuller longer lol
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    One of my big realizations on MFP was that too many carbs make me sleepy and hungry, more protein makes me more alert and focused. I work as and educator so I can't be hangry...I learned to stash protein rich snacks and eat higher protein lunches. Made a huge difference in my comfort level.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Carbs make me an eating machine and it's so sad because I absolutely LOVE them. I've found a good spot for now at 50g per day total carbs, moderate proteins, and lots of fat. Fat seems to be the biggest contributor to feeling satiated, for me at least. It's trial and error. Play around with your macros until you hit a sweet spot with the knowledge you may have to adjust again later on down the line.
    Options
    Great responses thank you all for sharing.

That’s so interesting to hear different perspectives and from your own experiences too. I think you all just be pretty much spot on. I’ve tried no carbs years ago and was permanently hungry. That was pretty much zero carbs (just green leafy veggies and a few berries!). I also felt lagging in energy.

However a lower carb diet appears the way to go. I adore carbs (obviously cakes and biscuits etc but avoid these as I overeat and they never satisfy) bread, pizza, crackers and now I think about it, cereal I also avoid cereal without thinking about it really, because I find it difficult to only have one bowl. So strange that maybe some foods make me crave more and that types of carbs and the balance of macro nutrients has such an influence on appetite.

• Nottaway1
    Nottaway1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Carbs.... reduce and add back clean protein.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I had been feeling tired, a lot. There could be anunwbr if logical reasons for this.

Over the festive period there were Uber amounts of food and I had expected weight gain which I thought I would sort out when back into normal routine and following a balanced diet. Today:
    Skimmed milk, 1 pint and a protein bar at breakfast (I was up early and we were going out for proper breakfast), egg sandwiches for breakfast on multi grain bread with mayo, lunch pizza and salad (healthy pizza lots of tomatoe potion controlled approximately 600 kcal), 3 coffees and an apple. Then returned home had some dark chocolate and the evening a complete failure, snacking all evening and wanting lots of food! Usually I get this at certain times of the month.

I wonder if life carbs are stimulating rather than supressinf my appetite. Any thoughts ? Apart from I could just be greedy?

balanced diet means nothing for weight loss. you gained because you werent in a deficit. are you drinking enough water? that can cause you to feel hungry too when you may not be.if carbs arent satisfying you up your protein or fat and lower the carbs and see what happens.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I find that the more carbs I eat, the more I want. The only way I can manage to keep the carb cravings at bay is to eat relatively low carb. Like others said, not keto levels of low, but low. I don't track macros so I don't know how many carbs i net in a day, but I imagine it's not a lot.