Yogurt cup question

Options
Noxxys
Noxxys Posts: 26 Member
so just recently something that caught my eye was yogurt single serving size cups. i buy oikos triple zero greek yogurt and their serving size for a cup is 150g ( 1 container) =120 cals but i noticed the oz. too so it feels like they're also adding the cups weight to the serving size but of course no one eats the plastic cup is this false labeling? cause when i did my test of emptying 3 differen't cups into a bowls on my food scale with tare there was only actually only 140g to 142g of actual greek yogurt inside these containers. so my question in the end is should I still be logging this as 150g =120 cals or should I be dumping my greek yogurt into a bowl and measuring it? sorry If this has been asked before.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Noxxys wrote: »
    so just recently something that caught my eye was yogurt single serving size cups. i buy oikos triple zero greek yogurt and their serving size for a cup is 150g ( 1 container) =120 cals but i noticed the oz. too so it feels like they're also adding the cups weight to the serving size but of course no one eats the plastic cup is this false labeling? cause when i did my test of emptying 3 differen't cups into a bowls on my food scale with tare there was only actually only 140g to 142g of actual greek yogurt inside these containers. so my question in the end is should I still be logging this as 150g =120 cals or should I be dumping my greek yogurt into a bowl and measuring it? sorry If this has been asked before.

If it's 10 grams low, it's 112 calories instead of 120 - 8 calories different.

For that few calories difference, if it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't be surprised if an especially sweet apple of any normal number if grams would vary by 8 calories from an especially tart one. Ditto tomatoes, other fruit, starch in different varieties of rice or wheat or any grains/flours, etc.

It's important to be accurate, but one has to keep it in perspective, arithmetically speaking. ;)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There is a percentage of error that is allowable when it comes to food packaging (can't remember what it is). It is very rare that you will find a packaged food that weighs exactly the weight listed on the label. For most people, the numbers will be small enough so as not to affect their success. But when a person has a very small calorie allowance and not a lot of room for error, it can matter.

Googled it and it said 20%... maybe someone can verify that.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This kind of thing really bothers me when I weigh out and separate my pack of ground beef or chicken from the store. A lot of the time, a "pound" of ground beef will be 15 oz. It probably shouldn't bother me so much, but it makes me mad every time it happens! If you want to be super exact, then go ahead and do the math to calculate the exact calories. 140g/150g = 0.934 x 120 calories = 112 calories. I do that sometimes with bread when I want to save calories. Cut off the dry edges and two slices becomes 1.25 of a serving.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Yogurt cups are one of the few things I don't bother weighing because they've always come in lower than the 150 grams stated.

FYI, the ounces are listed because 5.3 ounces is approximately 150 grams. It only accounts for the average weight of what you eat, not the food and the packaging.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Is it possible some of the liquid evaporated out of there, making it weigh less?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Slightly related to this - I buy the large 2lb tubs of yogurt. Container says there are "about" 4 1-cup servings (225 g).

LIARS!!! The most I have ever gotten are 3 full 225g servings and maybe another 190 g!!!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Slightly related to this - I buy the large 2lb tubs of yogurt. Container says there are "about" 4 1-cup servings (225 g).

LIARS!!! The most I have ever gotten are 3 full 225g servings and maybe another 190 g!!!

Yep:

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/08/21/when-nutrition-labels-lie