Macro Balance Struggle

Options
I’m trying my hand at counting macros but have been struggling to stay within my goal percentages between carbs, fats, and protein. My biggest issue is fats! I have made some changes to reduce the amount of fat like using 2% in coffee rather than half and half, but my fat count keeps being high. Eggs seem to be one of the worst culprits, but then I seem to be low on protein. Anyone have success with managing your fat while still getting enough protein? Any good snacks to eat that won’t be negative against my fats?

Overall I eat really healthy. Since tracking, that’s when I noticed how much (kind of healthy) fat I ate!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Realistically, if you are hitting your protein and feeling satiated, then don't stress fats and carbs. They are more for personal adherence than anything else.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Try prelogging to hit your goals
  • kstephenson40
    kstephenson40 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1% Cottage cheese or Greek nonfat yogurt may help increase protein without fat as well as chicken breast.
  • marsia1234
    marsia1234 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Turkey is high in protein and lower than chicken in fat
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, i tend to use lean meats, white fishes, egg whites, shrimp and lunch meats for proteins.
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I second @psuLemon. If you would like to reduce your fat intake, taking the yolk out of your eggs should help.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    yup, get leaner protein sources
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my menus a day in advance ALWAYS. Helps me tweak my menu to fit my macros all the time. I also use a lot of various fish (to include Starkist tuna pouches-no oil) and 98% lean turkey. Pheasant too. Some fish have more fat than others-check the label or Google a fats list for them. Grouper, Flounder and Swordfish are wonderful. I also mix real egg with southwest egg beaters. If you can get it, Bison is a really lean red meat. Spinach salads also a great help. I down grade milk products when I have fat too high and lower fat Ranch dressing but watch the carb counts on that.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    This is how I worked out my macro balance.

Made sure I was getting adequate protein (0.8 grams per pound of weight)
    Made sure I was getting enough fat (0.3 grams per pound of weight)

These minimum required amounts vary greatly from site to site where I researched but these are the figures I settled on.

Once I had done this I just ate what I liked to eat and what helped me feel fuller for longer without being too concerned where the numbers fell because I was getting the minimums for fat and protein and meeting micro nutrients. My ratios now average around 40% carbs, 35% fats and 25% protein. A bit different with ratios than most people and higher in protein and fat than needed but it works. I do try and keep saturated fats down as much as possible while focusing on polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats though, while avoiding trans fats totally.