what if you dont...?

Options
are you still suppose to exercise if you dont meet you caloric intake goal???
my goal is 1200... i usually cant eat that much...
i usually have around 200 or so calories left..
i work out on my elliptical for 25 minutes... burning around 350 calories...
makes my caloric deficit 550 and that doesnt include the 400 from my BMR and activity level...

help...

btw: i am NOT losing weight by doing this.

Replies

• erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    What are you eating that is not allowing you to make your caloric goals? Can you add in some nuts, avocado, cheese, whole milk yogurt?
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You body needs a min of 1200 calories. If you are not getting that then your body has a risk of going into starvation mode. Which would account for you not losing weight. Your body has to cling to every calorie that you put in. You are actucally better if you eat more then 1200 and then work out. That way your body has the proper fuel to feed your muscles for healthy weight gain or loss.
  • RayRay042408
    Options
    What are you eating that is not allowing you to make your caloric goals? Can you add in some nuts, avocado, cheese, whole milk yogurt?

i have very skimpy eating habits... always have...
    having two kids PLUNGED my metabolism to absolutely ZERO
    and i have 50+ pounds to lose...
    i just CANT get 1200 calories without eating things that arent exactly healthy...
    if i throw a donut or a bowl of cereal in the mix.. i probably could...
    my big problem is going OVER 1200, exercising it off and still being below : /
  • moderntimes
    Options
    I'm a little baffled by this, at the moment you are 190lbs, presumably you got to that weight by being able to eat far more than 1200 calories a day, so why do you feel unable to eat more now?
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    having kids didn't plunge your metabolism to zero... not eating enough has (which is probably followed by binging... you gain weight/carry excess weight by consuming more calories than you burn- that had to happen by eating!).

You should exercise for the health benefits... not just to hit or not hit your calorie goals.

First part of getting real about this process is getting real... you need to eat healthy food and exercise. Simple as that.

If you are overweight- it isn't because you "aren't eating."
  • RayRay042408
    Options
    I'm a little baffled by this, at the moment you are 190lbs, presumably you got to that weight by being able to eat far more than 1200 calories a day, so why do you feel unable to eat more now?

i see what you're saying...
    my weight came from two pregnancies.
    i DEFINITELY ate wayyyy more than 1200 calories...
    probably more like 3000...
    lots of cereals...
    lots of bread.
    lots of whole milk.
    lots of packaged foods...
    soda galore...

trying to get back to where i was, or in that neighborhood.
    once both my kids were about 2 months old... i went RIGHT back to not feeling like eating...
    aparently that habbit is working against me because i really do TRY to eat.
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    "Do or Do Not... there is no try" Yoda

Sorry, but I really don't have any sympathy for this and I'm sure many others here working their butts of don't either.
  • RayRay042408
    Options
    having kids didn't plunge your metabolism to zero... not eating enough has (which is probably followed by binging... you gain weight/carry excess weight by consuming more calories than you burn- that had to happen by eating!).

You should exercise for the health benefits... not just to hit or not hit your calorie goals.

First part of getting real about this process is getting real... you need to eat healthy food and exercise. Simple as that.

If you are overweight- it isn't because you "aren't eating."

thank you... made me look at this a little differently...
    & you're right... i exercise because i want to... not just for the calorie subtraction....
    im on a journey to find out what works for me.
    although im sure you found yourself annoyed by my question & my thought process...
    you answered it, and changed my thinkning a bit

thank you.
  • mbulz53
    mbulz53 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

what a dumb comment. 1200 cals of healthy food is a lot of food, fruits, veggies, chicken, low fat, no fat, lite, etc.... 1200 calories of junk is less than half a big mac. Its a chore to eat 1200 cals a day and get proper nutrition.

MY advice (and im no expert) - add a few tbsp of olive oil to your veggies in a sautee. add some low fat cheeses to whole grain pasta with fresh veggies, 1 cup of whole wheat barilla rotini packs in a lot of cals. avocados are also good for cals. Look for a good protein shake or meal replacement shake. Avoid "fast food gaining" go under your cals with helathy food rather than over your cals with junk.
  • RayRay042408
    Options
    "Do or Do Not... there is no try" Yoda

Sorry, but I really don't have any sympathy for this and I'm sure many others here working their butts of don't either.

NOT asking for sympathy.... i actually am VERY serious about what im doing...
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    I could eat 1200 calories in my sleep.
  • sschiano
    sschiano Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    most people dont eat back ALL of their exersise calories, strive to eat only half of the extra calories that should be managable enough, stir in some nuts, olive oil, etc.
  • RayRay042408
    Options
    AHH some people frustrate me. A LOT! just because you're an expert on YOUR body doesnt mean that you know anything about mine... you have NO idea how hard i have been working... you have NO idea how MUCH I have changed when it comes to my eating habbits. I didnt lose 9 pounds in 6 weeks sitting on my fat behind doing nothing except munching on cheesies and drinking pepsi!!! I AM aware that I did this to myself... but you should be aware that I am very new to this. & i AM trying! maybe mentioning that i have lost quite a few inches as well would lighten some of you up... Am i still stupid and working for nothing making a mockery out of you??? I DONT believe I am.. and you shouldnt feel as though i am either. I am asking for help... if you have nothing better to do at 3am but browse around looking for people to bash... do it to someone who you KNOW FOR A FACT is a joke.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I understand your fustration, but please don't let those people get to you.

They feel bad about about themselves which is why the feel the need to bash someone else.

We all started somewhere, and no question is stupid. Please keep posting. There are some people who will support you even if some people do not.

I am here for you. I even defended you if you seen the other forum which I assume you did.

I found it very wrong of them to post it.
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    Good luck on your journey... exactly the same thing I responded with to your private message.

If I was Jillian Michaels, I'd be a goddess for spitting the truth. Doh Well.
  • RayRay042408
    Options
    well. if you consider yourself a godess for belittling someone just because you've met your goal and I havent... good for you.. i just started... you on the other hand did not. thank you though for the well wishes... should i look you up when i finally figure things out and meet my goal so MAYBE then i'll get your respect instead of you treating me like the ant crawling on the floor?
    edited to add: I DO appreciate your "truth" by the way... you could have left the sarcasm at the front door though... i would NEVER do something like that to you. and just so you know... you're NOT jillian michaels... so dont try to be.
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    what sort of foods are you eating?
  • moderntimes
    Options
    I think if you simple added unsaturated fats like olive oil, some nuts and maybe avocado to your diet that would send the calories up. Last night I had grilled chicken, quinoia, swiss chard for dinner, but added a tablespoon of olive oil because I was low on fat for the day, which added over a hundred calories to the meal. Bananas are also relatively high in calories, and are good for you.
  • RayRay042408
    Options
    basically what most people would consider normal....
    meats include steak, hamburger, chicken, pork...
    i eat all types of vegetable.
    I love fruit.
    carbs come from breads, pastas

ive added salads to my intake.
    ive added sugar free jello, sharp cheese & crackers
    whole grain and wheat breads
    100 calorie snacks.

IDK if you can see it, but feel free to look at my food diary... im pretty good at remembering to add everything.
  • RayRay042408
    Options
    I think if you simple added unsaturated fats like olive oil, some nuts and maybe avocado to your diet that would send the calories up. Last night I had grilled chicken, quinoia, swiss chard for dinner, but added a tablespoon of olive oil because I was low on fat for the day, which added over a hundred calories to the meal. Bananas are also relatively high in calories, and are good for you.

thank you very much for the suggestions and the advice...
    I'm trying to figure out a new approach for things to get at the grocery store.
    reading the types of things other people on here eat definitely helps.