How often should I do Body Pump class at gym?

Options
For anyone familiar with this class:
I have tried this class twice at the gym recently. It's very hard for me, and I lasted through half of the class the first time and about 3/4 the second time. The only other exercise I do is the elliptical. I like the elliptical, but I believe it will only help me burn calories, not make my body more toned and less jiggly. I'm a 5'6, 47 year old woman who weighs about 144 pounds (down from 193 in July 2016 from eating at a deficit). I was down to 137 in April, but regained some through the fall and holidays. I'm trying to get back down to at least 140, and want to make body more firm. MFP has me at 1200 calories, and I am eating back about 200-350 exercise calories. Will this class do what I think it will? If yes, how often do I need to do the hour class to see results?
Thank you.

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I love Body Pump. It's how I got started in strength training. 2-3 times a week with at least a day between for recovery should be enough.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I ultimately did it three times a week. But it took me a few weeks to get there :). The first week I only did it once because I couldn't walk well for a few days. I was never able to do it two days in a row, but I actually don't think they recommend it anyway.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do it usually 2x, and another similar class or my own training 1x...
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I started this in the summer. I’m 57, and also 5’6”. I go twice a week and do running or Zumba three times a week. Nobody made fun of me when I left after 45 minutes. I introduced myself to the instructor after my third class because I needed someone to show me how to do lunges properly. I told her I was a complete beginner. She said to just do what I could, and start with lower weights. I think it is improving how my body looks and it doesn’t hurt to feel stronger too!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I go once a week as cross training for my running regimen. You could lighten the weights a bit, too, and see if that helps. I'd probably go 2-3 times per week if I wasn't running.
  • Poston1966
    Poston1966 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would recommend every other day. It is a full body workout. The gym I attend offers it 3 times a week at night so I followed their schedule. On off nights, I would swim or do cardio only.
    I have an issue with my left wrist so the bicep routine would be so painful that I would cry. I started doing my version and everything is good. Form is so important. If you feel like you lose form to get the numbers, I would slow down.
    Enjoy. Friend me!
  • Emmey56
    Emmey56 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 times a week, and don't forget if it's to much weight you could lose form and hurt yourself, start with a weight comfortable for you not what everyone else is doing.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I only do it once a week these days, but ultimately about 3 times a week, and no more than that, is good. I usually also do Zumba in between, with the occasional yoga thrown in.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks for all of your responses. :) I am trying 2 times a week for now, and going lighter on the weights to start.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I love body pump <3 Such a good class! I try to catch 2-3 a week when possible. My advice since you are just starting out is to go and do all of the exercises with an empty bar. I've been going on and off for over a year and I still do the lunges without weights! I also still have to pause during the lunges before I can go on. Take little breaks when you need to :)
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I do this, along with body combat and Zumba. I only do it once a week, as I also do free weights. I am ould go with the advice offered, try for twice a week, more when you feel up to it, and go for lighter weights.