Calories versus macro struggle

KatR13
KatR13 Posts: 39 Member
I am sitting here, trying to log my food for the rest of the day, but I can't seem to do that without being seriously under my calorie target or much over my macros stats.
I'm new to the macro thing, but my workout suggested it, so I thought I give it a go. But i get overwhelmed.
Any tips?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    if you are 'seriously under' your cals, then your macros should be as well, otherwise you're using a dodgy database entry somewhere?

look at protein and fat as minimums, so it doesn't matter if you're over them a little if you hit your calorie goal?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Macros are calories so they should balance out. If they don't there is something wrong somewhere.

You can open your diary if you like and we'll help you find the problem?

Protein and carbs per gram =4kcal
    Fats per gram = 9kcal
  • KatR13
    Macros are calories so they should balance out. If they don't there is something wrong somewhere.

You can open your diary if you like and we'll help you find the problem?

Protein and carbs per gram =4kcal
    Fats per gram = 9kcal

OK, I changed my setting for my diary. I'm not finished at this point, but that's all I got
  • TavistockToad
    edited January 2018
    first off, you weigh your bananas by the cup?

get food scales.

add something carb based to your lunch and dinner, and you're good. i dont see anything wrong with what you have logged so far, other than the inaccuracies from not weighing?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Look at the totals.

Carbs/protein you have 220g. You multiply them by 4 as they have 4kcal each. That totals 880kcal
    Fats you have 29g, multiply by 9 = 261 kcal
    Add them together = 1141kcal

Your diary is out somewhere. Use the same maths to help you find out where and stop using those entries.

The banana is one of them, as 55 multiplied by 4 would be 220 calories.

Get used to doing this every time you chose a new entry to make sure your diary stays as accurate as possible.
  • KatR13

get food scales.

add something carb based to your lunch and dinner, and you're good. i dont see anything wrong with what you have logged so far, other than the inaccuracies from not weighing?

It was an old entry of mine. I do have a scale by now. I use it for chicken and such, but continued using old entries.

Today was my first day not having carbs for lunch or dinner due the macros issue. I do usually have 2/3 cup of rice for lunch and a hot and spicy lentil soup for dinner
  • TavistockToad
    KatR13 wrote: »

get food scales.

It was an old entry of mine. I do have a scale by now. I use it for chicken and such, but continued using old entries.

Today was my first day not having carbs for lunch or dinner due the macros issue. I do usually have 2/3 cup of rice for lunch and a hot and spicy lentil soup for dinner

i don't understand that last bit... you are well under your carbs, you don't need to cut them out?
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Also, avoid looking at the macro pie chart in the app!
    Just focus on the grammes for macros, and if the entries you're using are accurate then the calories will follow.

You can get the more detailed screen on the app by turning your phone sideway from the diary page.
    (Although I tend to use my computer at work for most breakfast, snack and lunch logging...)
  • KatR13

get food scales.

i don't understand that last bit... you are well under your carbs, you don't need to cut them out?

Really? See that's what I mean, I have no clue. When I logged in my foods. It said I am over, for that reason I left them away today.
    But for now I think I am not going to focus on macros.
    I started four years ago, having great results without knowing what macros were.
    Now having to loose excess baby weight, I feel like I know nothing
    I just have to trust in myself and the journey
    Atleast I have to wait til the end of the week if something changed, and then go from there
    Thank you for your help
  • TavistockToad

get food scales.

Really? See that's what I mean, I have no clue. When I logged in my foods. It said I am over, for that reason I left them away today.
    I started four years ago, having great results without knowing what macros were.
    Atleast I have to wait til the end of the week if something changed, and then go from there
    Thank you for your help

are you looking at the pie chart instead of your actual totals?

an awareness of your macros can be helpful for weight loss from the point of view of satiety, but if you have been successful in your weight loss before and it ain't broke... :smile:
  • KatR13

get food scales.

Thank you for your help

are you looking at the pie chart instead of your actual totals?

an awareness of your macros can be helpful for weight loss from the point of view of satiety, but if you have been successful in your weight loss before and it ain't broke... :smile:

Yep I sure looked at my pie
  • KatR13
    Well that's a completely useless thread now, giving the fact that I looked at the wrong chart.
    That makes more sense to me.
    Off to a new, less frustrating start tomorrow.
    Thank you all for your input!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    You may not need them, but quick tips:

Look at what your gram goals are for the day, and watch them.

Protein is the one that matters most, try to hit it (going over is fine).

Don't worry to much about fat vs. carbs, but at the end of the day see where you are and think about how you can adjust to get closer to your desired amounts the next day -- often it's just about changing portions of foods (bit more fish, bit less sweet potato).
  • KatR13
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You may not need them, but quick tips:

Look at what your gram goals are for the day, and watch them.

Protein is the one that matters most, try to hit it (going over is fine).

Don't worry to much about fat vs. carbs, but at the end of the day see where you are and think about how you can adjust to get closer to your desired amounts the next day -- often it's just about changing portions of foods (bit more fish, bit less sweet potato).

Thank you stephanie