How to make food taste better?

Options
How do i make food taste better without adding too much salt, as i have a very high salt intake but love the flavour it gives food

Replies

• Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Youtube is your friend in this matter

that and recipe websites, there are loads

but things like spices, herbs, garlic, ginger, soy sauce all add flavour
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Reduce salt intake slowly and let your taste buds adjust over time (well mine did). Now I enjoy same food flavours with much less salt - crisps (potato chips) are now almost always too salty - as is a lot of bacon. I do like to add pepper though ;)
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You could try Mrs. Dash and/or Nutritional Yeast.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Try other herbs and spices, vinegar, peppers or chilis (if you like spicy).

I use a bit of salt in cooking (along with pepper and other spices or herbs), but never add salt after. I think just a little salt in cooking makes a huge difference, you don't need much. Salt is something people get accustomed to, so reducing it gradually is also a good idea. You will adjust.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Penzey's makes a lot of salt free seasonings.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I second Penzeys. They have some great seasoning blends.

Aromatics like ginger, garlic, onion, leek, shallots.

Fresh herbs - dried too, but they tend to be less pungent.

Cook with reduced sodium soy sauce, ketchup, low sodium broth. Small amounts of saltier or pungent cheeses to finish a meal instead of added salt (Parm, Feta, Bleu).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    herbs and spices...
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Citrus juice and zest. Lemon, lime, or orange juice/zest punches up the flavor of a variety of dishes.
  • LilFoxtrot
    LilFoxtrot Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Spice blends! You can get low sodium versions of most spice blends, or check the sodium on the package to find something that suits you. Lemon and lime juice + zest can act similarly to salt in brightening foods flavor.
  • kfischer1018
    kfischer1018 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Learning to cook with herbs and spices is the best way to cut back on salt intake. When I actually learned how to use herbs and spices to their fullest I found I hardly ever needed to add salt to anything. Once you discover how good food actually tastes on it's own when prepared correctly you'll find your palate will stop "craving" salt on everything.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As others have said: Garlic, onions, ginger, lemon zest, pepper, cumin, cilantro, basil, etc.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Lots of suggestions on spices and herbs, for garlic, I like to get the chopped garlic in a jar and use it generously.

If you're doing most of your own cooking, and only manually adding salt (as opposed to packaged/processed foods) that typically does a LOT to reduce one's salt intake.

I also prefer to add my salt (fan of the Himalayan salt) while cooking rather than sprinkling on top.

If I do sprinkle on top, I use a garlic salt blend of some variety so it adds a bit more flavor as well.
  • JackRussellTerrierMom
    Options
    I keep sauce and dressing recipes in Pinterest for taste purposes so I can stick to basic vegetables with beans or whole grains but make a the same basic dish taste completely different with sauce or dressing. This way I don't get bored eating whole unprocessed foods. Like another reader mentioned, YouTube is awesome for ideas on sauces, dressings, herbs, condiments.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Try other herbs and spices, vinegar, peppers or chilis (if you like spicy).

I use a bit of salt in cooking (along with pepper and other spices or herbs), but never add salt after. I think just a little salt in cooking makes a huge difference, you don't need much. Salt is something people get accustomed to, so reducing it gradually is also a good idea. You will adjust.

Agree. When and how you use salt in the cooking process makes a bigger difference than how much you use.
    For example, if you put a bit of salt on meat several hours before you cook, it will be more evenly seasoned and tender, versus having to put a lot on after its cooked. You dont need a lot if you time it right. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Lots of suggestions on spices and herbs, for garlic, I like to get the chopped garlic in a jar and use it generously.

If you're doing most of your own cooking, and only manually adding salt (as opposed to packaged/processed foods) that typically does a LOT to reduce one's salt intake.

I also prefer to add my salt (fan of the Himalayan salt) while cooking rather than sprinkling on top.

If I do sprinkle on top, I use a garlic salt blend of some variety so it adds a bit more flavor as well.

That jarred garlic has all kinds of stuff mixed in. Much better to buy the pealed garlic in bags, toss into your blender and let her rip. After just simply place into ice cubes and freeze. Add to dishes as required.

Off topic I realise but I've never seen peeled frozen garlic in the UK. Or even peeled fresh, I'd love that
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    An old fashioned dose of salt and pepper
  • gothoats
    gothoats Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recommend seasonings and extracts. That's what I use and like it. There are even some mixes of seasonings that are cool.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont use or add much salt to anything.

experiment with different seasonings. learn how to cook.

garlic, fresh ground pepper (from a mill) and italian seasonings are my best friends in the kitchen lol