Please, someone tell me how to find time to workout

when I work 12 hour days, have a special needs child and a disabled husband? I have gained a pound a day this week and I didn't think I was eating that differently....

I should also mention, I don't have money for a gym membership, and can't go running at night because of the feral dogs. And by the time I get up, the temperature's already over 100 and I already have head-to-toe heat rash just from going to work!

Replies

• NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    While it sucks we have all been there.

When I was working 13 hr days. I would walk on my breaks. Just around the office building. Take the stairs if there are any to the work location. Little things really do make a difference.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    When I have busy days I break up my workouts. I try to do 5 mins here and then 10 mins when I find time. It adds up quickly! And as far as gaining a pound a day...that could be water weight. It's almost impossible unless you eat like 4000 calories a day.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Can you find 20 minutes in your day? Even if it means missing out on 20 minutes of sleep? If so I would recommend you try Jillian Michaels 30DS. I really do believe anyone can find this much time out of their day because even the very busiest people are not 100% efficient.

If you can't find 20 minutes then whenever you are waiting around the house for anything (the kettle to boil, dinner to finish cooking, someone to finish with the toilet, someone to be ready to leave the house etc) do something. Jumping jacks, mountain climbers, crunches, sit-ups, press-ups, planks...

Also, I like doing a plank pose rather than sitting on a chair (eg when talking to someone, watching TV).

Fact is, your lifestyle is probably quite enough physical demand on your body as it is, so with a strictly enough controlled diet you shouldn't feel obliged to exercise. Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise (toning is another matter) so as long as you don't have any medical issues that will stop you losing weight, a calorie controlled healthy diet WILL, no question, result in weight loss.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    When I have busy days I break up my workouts. I try to do 5 mins here and then 10 mins when I find time. It adds up quickly! And as far as gaining a pound a day...that could be water weight. It's almost impossible unless you eat like 4000 calories a day.

I work in fast food, so I can eat that without even thinking about it, unfortunately. That's part of my problem, free food- corporate discontinued a popular sandwich, so we now have 2 cases of freebie (fried) chicken breast.
  • ydeemar
    ydeemar Posts: 44
    im working more than 12 hrs also, what i do is everytime i go to the restroom i do at least 30 jumping jacks and when i go up the stairs i run... and i really check on the MFP calorie counter just so if i over eat on one meal i'll try to reduce on the next meal..
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    I work in fast food, so I can eat that without even thinking about it, unfortunately. That's part of my problem, free food- corporate discontinued a popular sandwich, so we now have 2 cases of freebie (fried) chicken breast.

Doesn't mean you have to eat it... do you not get free anything else? Like salad? Diet drink?

I notice you don't log food in your diary. Maybe if you tried that we would be able to help more, by making suggestions about where things have gone wrong.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    even a little exercise is better than none - so don't feel like you need a full 30 minutes solid. If you can sneak 5 minutes here, 1 minute there, just shove in as many exercises as you can. Mountain climbers are really good, jumping jacks, any kind of pushups/situps, running in place, knee lifts. If you do 30 1 minute sessions thats better than nothing. You can do it.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,075 Member
    I agree with the above poster- logging your food accurately is the best place to start. I am also enormously busy but there is always time for exercise. In the time it took you to post here and read responses, you could have done the jump rope, some squats, pushups, walking in place, lunges... lots of things using your own body weight and little to no equipment in the comfort of your own home.

If you want the results, now is the time to make the effort. You just have to say no to the freebies. I can't tell you how many times I shoved Christmas candy and cookies in the garbage can and covered it with my kids' poopy diapers. If you want it badly- make the effort. You're worth it.
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Totally agree with a previous poster who recommended the 30 Day Shred. It's a DVD workout, cheap, and it's only 20 minutes a day.
  • oceanbreeze1025
    oceanbreeze1025 Posts: 10 Member
    In a 12 hour day you must get a lunch break and a few coffe breaks. Maybe take a power walk around the block at that time. Carry some light hand weights once in awhile for variety and extra umph. Park a little further now and then or take the stairs instead of the elevator...little things end up making a big difference.

It sounds like you have your hands full between work schedule and personal home life but you have to realize one thing. Your family needs you very much and if you are not healthy, you won't be able to take good care of them. If you can't fathom taking care of your health for your own sake, do it for theirs.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    in your case, id try and cut my weight by dieting rather than concentrate on working out. Your figure is 70% down to diet and only 30% down to exercise anyway.
    If you want to get workouts in, id suggest maybe an exercise DVD that you enjoy and that you can do it as and when you can.
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    I agree with just dieting for now...I don't work out "and check me out, I'm kick *kitten*!" hahaha (quote from Orange County)...anyway, dieting is rough with no calories to add back but very do-able!

1628192.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    bodyrock.tv.com
    The workouts are very short but very effective and are free. They do look hard and they are. But you can also modify them. They range in time from 12 minutes to 45. Some you need weights others you just use your body. I KNOW you have 12 minutes.
    If you would like some links just send me a message and I can send you a bunch of the quick body weight only ones.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    I don't have a gym membership either, but I'm losing weight just fine. There are tons of things you can do right at home to lose weight. I go walking, running, do workout DVDs, etc. I would recommend getting the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD as others have suggested. You can usually find it for less than $10. It is a 20 minute workout, which I'm sure you can find time to squeeze in at some point in your day, maybe not everyday but aim for at least 5 days a week. If you work and have a lunch break, try doing a quick walk while at work. Every little bit helps! There are lots of things you can do inside your house too, like even just jogging in place, jumping jacks, and jump rope.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Just try to have a calorie deficit and choose healthy food options. If you watch tv at all, you could use that time to do something around the house. I'm sure you don't have time for tv, but a lot people would rather watch tv than get up and move.
    Best of luck and I hope things get better for you.