12 stone 6 to 12 stone 12 !

Options
I don't get it, what am I doing thats so wrong. I'm under my 1600 calories for this whole week and have been to the gym 4 times, and I have gone from 12 stone 6 to 12 stone 12 !!!!!

Thats 6 lb extra !?!?! Extra, when I've been under the calorie count and working my butt off in the gym, WTF?

< feels like giving up :(:(:(

Replies

• jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    Try not to stress! It's probably water weight. :)
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i think this is water or just a general fluctuation

scales are mad dont get too dishearten keep doing your gymming and you will see results :)
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    Time of the month, too much salt or could be your muscles retaining water after being worked!
  • Y2KBABE
    Y2KBABE Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh my word!! So quick were your responses and so positive, thank you all so much.

Firstly I should say that the weights in MFP are wrong as I'm not very good and getting my head round pounds only instead of stones and pounds

So I started at 12 stone 12 (i put 13 stone in MFP) and then dropped 4 pounds to 12 stone 8, I weighed myself this morning (after shower) and I'm 12 stone 11.

So reality is its a 3 pounds put on. I'm still desperately unhappy but not so much that I'm going to delete my account :)

< I'm back off for a spin class today.

Thanks everyone, more input is much appreciated xxxxxx
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    If you have just started a few things to consider:

Weigh or measure all your portions - when you first start a lot of people overestimate how big (or small) a real portion is....
    Make sure you log everything you eat....
    Is the scale you weigh on consistent, or does it give random readings....
    Weigh the same time every time you weigh - best to do it first thing in the morning - before you get dressed...

Understand that there are days when the scale just goes up for no reason whatsover..... I have had 4lb swings ....you just need to keep the faith, and keep eating right - once you get your portions right.....and the weight will go down - even if it sometimes takes a bit of time

Good luck
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    I went from 10 stone 3 to 10 stone 8 and it's been about a month and it hasn't gone back down.
    I can relate D:
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This article may help. :flowerforyou:

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It is hopefully just a sodium water weight thing, will go away soon enough! I know it's hard to resist, but try not to weigh so often - the numbers can go up and down a few times during a week depending on the time or day of the week, or if it's TOM, if you hadc a high salt dinner the night before etc etc etc. I somehow had a 3kg swing up and then back down this week, so try not to be disheartened, just keep up the good work :)
  • kaffmc
    kaffmc Posts: 20
    Options
    Because Muscle weighs more then fat hun :)
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm up two pounds so I went over my food diary so carefully! My boyfriend cooked me a few meals this week but I weighed everything out before he cooked it. I watched him cook last night and when I saw how much olive oil he'd been using I could have killed him! Easily could have added 400kcal to each meal!!

That won't be happening again!!
  • Y2KBABE
    Options
    Unbelievable !! Another 2 pound on over the weekend, I am back at 13 stone ! This is ridiculous I have never weighed more than 13 stone in my entire life, so if I continue to exercise and eat under my calories am I going to go over 13 stone.... thats what it all points to.

< feeling stupidly self - indulgently selfish and un-motivated :(
  • Y2KBABE
    Options
    This article may help. :flowerforyou:

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm

Oh thank you so much this really made a lot of sense to me :

"Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in. Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle."
  • emarrghlee
    Options
    I use a weight converter (stones to pounds) on the internet to help find the correct weight in pounds. Don't confuse the ##ST# for pounds, they're ounces.