Sleep???

Options
Hi just wanted to know if not having much sleep does it affect ur weight loss...the thing is in oct i was burgled and i caught the man in my house, im here at night on my own as my bf works nights,so ive been sleeping down stairs but i only get about 4 hrs at the most...i have 3 kids so im so tired...i read some were about sleep being a big part in lossing weight...x

Replies

• laurajane81
    Options
    Hi just wanted to know if not having much sleep does it affect ur weight loss...the thing is in oct i was burgled and i caught the man in my house, im here at night on my own as my bf works nights,so ive been sleeping down stairs but i only get about 4 hrs at the most...i have 3 kids so im so tired...i read some were about sleep being a big part in lossing weight...x
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yes I am sure it does. I can't give you a scientific reason why, but our body needs sleep and fuel (food) in order to do all of the amazing things it does, so if it is lacking in one of them, it makes sense that it may try holding onto more food in order to compensate for lack of sleep.

How scary that must have been for you to find the burglar in your home, it's no wonder you cannot sleep. Maybe talk to your doctor about getting some kind of sleep aid, or maybe even consider talking to a counselor. You may be experiencing some post traumatic stress sndrome.

Is it possible to get a dog if you don't already have one, perhaps that would make you feel safer at night to help you sleep. Do you have a burglar alarm or maybe keep a billy club or something nearby to make you feel safer. Good luck to you!
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Google "Sleeping and Weight Loss", there are many articles out there about how not getting enough sleep can actually mess with your ability to lose weight.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned of your well being. Sleep is so important in just the way you feel on a day to day basis. How do you do it with 3 kids and so little sleep?
    You have to try to get some more sleep. Spend the extra money on an alarm or something to make you feel more secure at night.:flowerforyou:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Im sure it does affect weight loss...perhaps taking a 1-2 hr nap during the times your BF is home may help.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    not getting enough sleep messes with everything! I think you really need to make yourself feel safe at night. Maybe by putting in an advanced sercurity system, or having someone stay with you overnight, temporarily, or perhaps getting a dog who can alert you if anything were to happen. I know what happened to you must have been terrifying, but you can't spend the rest of your life like this, time to move on. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I agree with the nap idea. My little ones all go down for an afternoon nap, and if you're having trouble sleeping at night a nap could really help out. If you have older children who don't nap you could ask them to have some quiet time in their room...reading books or playing with puzzles or legos, something like that. Even a 30 min. nap may help you out a bunch.

People who repeatedly don't get enough sleep also may start to have some other problems besides weight loss, like irritability. You don't want to be aggravated while watching little ones, they can work nerves like no one else.

Take care of yourself, they need you.:happy:
  • laurajane81
    Options
    thanx everyone....i have new alarms and new locks i just cant settle i start feeling sick...i got some herble sleep tablets but they dont work...im gonna go doctors i think cos im working so hard to change my life and lose the weight i dont want this to stop mee... again thanx
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Found this article online:

Sleep It Off
    A new way to fight fat: Go to bed
    By Marianne McGinnis , Marianne McGinnis is a former Prevention associate editor.

If you get less than 8 hours of shut-eye a night, you may be contributing to your weight loss problem. Sleep deprivation disrupts your body's normal ability to process and control various weight-related hormones (glucose, cortisol, and thyroid hormones). This imbalance encourages cells to store excess fat and lowers your body's fat-burning ability. Lack of sleep may also make it harder to control cravings.

But just 9 hours of sleep for 3 consecutive nights can reverse this, making weight loss easier. Here's how to get enough z's.

Move your body. Regular exercise (30 minutes most days of the week) reduces stress and raises body temperature, which primes you for slumber.

Avoid foods and drinks high in sugar and caffeine. Avoid alcohol as well; it can feel sedating, but it actually disrupts sleep.
    Article continues below...
    Related Articles
    Insomnia

Get Exactly Enough Sleep
    Another reason to aim for 7-8 hours per night
    Sleep Right, Starting Tonight

Set standard bedtimes and wake times that allow for 8 to 9 hours of sleep. Each evening, prepare yourself for sleep: Take a bath, read a meditation book, or listen to relaxing music. Also, make sure your bedroom is dark, cool, and quiet.

Take a siesta. If you've endured a sleepless night, take a 10-minute nap the next day. It will improve both your mood and your ability for weight loss and to stick to your diet.
  • ggooding12
    Options
    Stress is another factor that could delay weight loss. If you are not sleeping and with the situation that happened, even if you do not feel very stress you still could be.