Venison?

Options
Anyone have a venison recipe to share? My husband is an avid hunter and I have ground venison (nothing added), steaks and roasts. I’m just looking for some new ideas besides chili and grilled steaks - Thanks!

Replies

• MsHappyAss
    MsHappyAss Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love venison! One of our faves is to cute up the steak in to chucks use season with salt and pepper to taste and then simmer in brown gravy, I use a low sodium one but but use what you like and serve over brown or white rice, mashed potatoes, or anything that fits in your food plan. But as for the meat that is a nice way to go. Simmering it for a while makes it nice and tender. Enjoy!
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like to marinade steaks cut into strips in lime juice with pepper and cayenne pepper. Then I grill them with peppers for fajitas.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a recipe... And I wish I had some venison. Nothing in the world is better than some hot venison chili on a cold cold day like today. Now, I am sad.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Venison is the only red meat I eat now

I replace all other red meats with it

So any dish you make with beef for instance you can make with venison

I love chilli so I make venison chilli all the time, but also cottage pie for instance
  • saroda4
    saroda4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could always cube marinated venison in small pieces and put it on Italian bread with butter, just like chicken spiedies (but venison spiedies) :smile:
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have read on these boards the Instant Pot or many brands similiar make the most tender of venison in minimum time. It's a pressure cooker with so many other options and you can google many venison recipes using this appliance.
    My daughter in laws father makes spaghetti with venison and it was soooooo good!
    Look up Instant Pot...that name is expensive. I want to get the Meuller cooker at half the price and does exact same thing with good reviews and manufactured in Germany/Austria.
    Amazon is a good site for purchasing this important appliance for venison which can be tough.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Edit
  • boothekm1
    boothekm1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Chinese Pepper Steak

cut deer meat like fajita meat and brown with onions and bell pepper
    add some soy sauce, water, and whatever spices you like and simmer
    add cornstarch to thicken sauce
    serve over rice

It's yummy!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker, roast, red wine, milk. If the venison is at all gamy the milk improves it.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but the best venison dish I've had was a nice simple stew cooked over a wood stove many years ago.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Home made burgers from the ground venison, maybe with some chopped onion and an egg to bind it.
    I love to make burgers around a central bit of cheese that goes all melty and amazing when you cook them!
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like using ground venison in a tomato sauce for spaghetti. I've been enjoying it instead of ground beef on nachos (had that for lunch yesterday actually). I also loved substituting it for beef in a stroganoff.
  • lizzy8102
    lizzy8102 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My daughter hunts killed her first deer of the season now I have 130lbs of venison in the freezer I need help with getting creative cooking it. She is now excited and wanting at least 1 more before the season ends.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Red wine marinade - red wine, soy sauce or Worcestershire, garlic, onion, oil. Mix and put in a bag or bowl with a tenderloin or steak in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Sear in a hot cast for a few minutes on each side until it's up to temperature. (I cut the tenderloin into medallions, but you could to a quick sear and roast too.)

I saute mushrooms and onions in the same pan with the drippings, and add a little bit of butter or extra wine to finish the sauce.

Meatloaf and meatballs are great if you have a lot of ground venison. I sometimes blend it with ground beef or pork for a little extra fat. Otherwise, add a lot of vegetables to keep them moist - garlic, onion, spinach, shredded carrot, zucchini, or finely chopped mushrooms - sneak a lot of extra veggies in your diet this way. You can do traditional Italian flavors, or add BBQ or Asian sauces like Teriyaki to mix up the meals!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Basically venison can be substituted for any dish that calls for red meat.

Stir fry, stew, soup, dirty rice, burgers, pasta sauces, kabobs, tacos, burritos, fajitas, lasagna, sandwiches, venison stroganoff, meatballs, stuffed peppers, ...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I also have a freezer full of ground venison, some deer steaks, brats (haven't ever tried), summer sausage (my favorite!) and backstrap. I was bummed to not get any roasts from the processor, miscommunication on my husbands part.

I have an InstantPot as someone mentioned above. I cooked venison chili for New Years and it was done in less than 20 minutes, tasted like it had cooked all day.

We've also used the ground venison in "Deer"Burger Helper (both from the box, and a homemade version)

I saw someone post a venison meatloaf recipe on the Instant Pot facebook page but I am curious if it needs extra fat to avoid being too dry.

For the steaks, I usually marinade in Tony Chachere's wild game seasoning and either grill or cook in the cast iron skillet.

A friend here makes Deer and Noodles in her crockpot - I'm sure similar to what you'd do for Beef and Noodles - that's what I was hoping to do with roast/stew meat.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Once I get my venison back from the locker, it's going to be used for a mixture of steaks, burgers, and chili. The only difference between venison and hamburger is less fat, which means the venison just needs to be cooked at a lower temperature and for longer.

For ground venison, I might add some fat (drippings from bacon / pork sausage). I'm not one for venison bratwurst, but I know some like to add pork fat along with cheese, jalapenos, etc.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The ground venison can be used anywhere ground beef is. We like fried venison steak. Mix flour with garlic powder, salt & pepper, cover the steak in it. Fry with butter until it is cooked as well as you like it.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Ground venison makes excellent enchilada casseroles. Also, merlot steak. Also, venison stuffed loins. Also, venison Hungarian goulash! Yum!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Chili verde in the crock pot!

Cube it up and put in crock pot with some canned or fresh jalapenos (or mild chilis for the weak of palate). Add a small amount of liquid. I've used red or white wine, beer, or water depending on what I have on hand. Cook for 3-4 hours and serve with rice and tortillas. I've also made this with the venison and just dumped half a jar of salsa verde and a sliced onion for the same amount of time.

D-vine!