Veggie calories

Options
Hi everyone, I have been on the weight loss journey for a while now and have tried many diet programs and calorie counting. From what I learnt from some of these programs,is that there are some so called ‘zero calorie foods’ that you can eat unlimited amounts of such as carrots, celery, cucumber, spinach, lettuce, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, most green low starch veggies actually and some of these are even negative calorie food which means you consume more calories to burn it off than the calories you consume. For this reason, I haven’t been weighing these vegetables or entering them into mfp but I found that I haven’t been losing any weight and am thinking this might be one of the reasons? What are people’s thoughts on low calorie vegetables and whether it makes a big difference on whether to log them or not. Does it matter if I don’t? Eg for something like a tuna salad (tin of tuna +lettuce/baby spinach/cabbage) I only record the calories in the tuna. Am I not being accurate enough? Or are the calories in the veggies negligible?
(Obviously for starchie veggies like potato/sweet potato/pumpkin, I try to avoid or weigh them if I do eat them, but I’m talking about leafy green/ low starch veggies mainly).
Thanks!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    seeing as i often log 200+ calories in veggies frequently (and many log even more)... yes, they are logged! the veggie soup i made yesterday has 120 some calories per serving, and i typically have a serving or two of that for a meal. and its ALL veggies, aside from the chicken broth base and a can of black beans thats mixed into the whole thing for some added protein (so not many per serving)
  • Angie_au
    Angie_au Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I specifically remember a weight loss program saying I can eat unlimited amount of those veggies with salsa. Wow didn’t realise there could that many calories in them!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Angie_au wrote: »
    Oh wow, I specifically remember a weight loss program saying I can eat unlimited amount of those veggies with salsa. Wow didn’t realise there could that many calories in them!

Weight Watchers and the like say that veggies are 0 points, but they account for the fact that you're eating them into your points goal. So the points they allocate you assume you will also be eating at least some veg as well.
  • Angie_au
    Options
    Right ok, wow for a lot of meals eg where I made a batch of stir fry I would only record the calories in the meat..
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

if im eating one carrot, im not gonna worry about it. if im eating a side of veg or a soup or salad - it all gets logged.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,418 Member
    Options
    And spices. many of them contain a lot of oils and have quite a few calories.
  • Angie_au
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Many of the spices don’t even have the nutritional information on them so I assumed no calories :open_mouth: like garlic and herb spice or bbq powder
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Many of the spices don’t even have the nutritional information on them so I assumed no calories :open_mouth: like garlic and herb spice or bbq powder

It's not on the bottles/packets but the database has the values. Curry powder is a sneaky one, and I bet BBQ powder is too.

Regarding the veg, the veg portion of my meals is easy 50% of my cals. The diet you read where you could eat them unlimited was probably Weight Watchers or a variation, which attempts to teach habits and steer people towards better choices, but it's not a straight up and down calorie game, which is all that matters in the end.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I always log my veggies - even 30-50 calories here and there can really add up. I don't lose any sleep over not logging one grape or some lettuce used for crunch on a sandwich or something, but if I'm making a salad I do weigh the greens. On any given day, those veggie calories might be the difference between having dessert or not having dessert.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Most herbs and spices are under 5 calories to the teaspoon, but some of the blends can be a bit higher. Still, IME it's rare for spices to account for more than 10-20 calories/serving.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Accurate tracking is also helpful so you know your balance of macronutrients. Studying that information can sometimes help you adjust the balance of your diet to be more satiating. For example, if you are carb-heavy, focusing on increasing protein and fat can help. By not logging veggies, you're not accounting for a good portion of your carbohydrates or taking advantage of the protein in things like spinach and broccoli.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am sometimes lazy in logging raw veggies, but always log cooked ones, since I typically have them with butter or olive oil. Since I track dietary fibre, I usually make a point of logging all the vegetables that I eat.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Anything with calories, be it 1 cal or 100 cals I enter it into my diary. I don't want to get into the habit of thinking "this food doesn't count" I won't bother adding it to my diary. It may not add up to much but for me it's getting into a way of eating and thinking about what I'm eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have been on the weight loss journey for a while now and have tried many diet programs and calorie counting. From what I learnt from some of these programs,is that there are some so called ‘zero calorie foods’ that you can eat unlimited amounts of such as carrots, celery, cucumber, spinach, lettuce, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, most green low starch veggies actually and some of these are even negative calorie food which means you consume more calories to burn it off than the calories you consume. For this reason, I haven’t been weighing these vegetables or entering them into mfp but I found that I haven’t been losing any weight and am thinking this might be one of the reasons? What are people’s thoughts on low calorie vegetables and whether it makes a big difference on whether to log them or not. Does it matter if I don’t? Eg for something like a tuna salad (tin of tuna +lettuce/baby spinach/cabbage) I only record the calories in the tuna. Am I not being accurate enough? Or are the calories in the veggies negligible?
    (Obviously for starchie veggies like potato/sweet potato/pumpkin, I try to avoid or weigh them if I do eat them, but I’m talking about leafy green/ low starch veggies mainly).
    Thanks!

Many veggies are low calorie...they aren't zero calorie, and there's no such thing as a negative calorie food. For there to be a negative calorie food, it would have to have a TEF of over 100% and there is no such thing...protein has the highest TEF at around 30% for some sources.
  • Angie_au
    Options
    Right ok, I eat a lot of veggies during the day which I haven’t been logging. Like I usually only eat veggies and protein for dinner eg in a stir fry, soup or salad. Will start to do so now. Thanks!
  • Angie_au
    Options
    On a side note what about teas and coffees? I don’t usually put sugar or cream in them only a dash of milk. I guess I should record the milk
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I log every single little grape tomato, coffee also has calories particularly when creamer is added. Milk can have a decent amount of calories