Losing Weight With A Sweet Tooth

Options

Replies

• mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I plan a sweet treat into my day. I have cut it out completely in the past and that jusy didn't work for me. I end most days with a cup of tea and some cookies or a peppermint patty. I look forward to them.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweet. I've had the most luck including fruit with almost every meal/snack time and budgeting for something "sweet" at bedtime. My breakfast is coffee with a measured amount of creamer (I eat my food in 4 meals in the afternoon/eve). I usually have a half a grapefruit with lunch, or some fresh berries...I like have a sliced Cara orange (like an orange/grapefruit hybrid...I'm on a citrus kick lol), and a "fruit/sweet" drink at dinner like a cherry Coke Zero or a grapefruit seltzer. My current favorite late night sweet snack is to weigh out 1-2 servings of cottage cheese (depending on remaining calories) and add 70g-100g of canned mandarin oranges or peaches, etc

Sometimes on the go (and now that I start work again this will be the case) I drink a chocolate flavored shake for a meal on the go (I work as a floor nurse and I have littles at home so sometimes this is a need) and this also satisfies a sweet need for me.

I have been doing this about 3 weeks or so and I haven't felt deprived at all. One night I was even wayyyy under my cals that day and I had enough for 3 Lindt truffles.
  • Laserfocused93
    Laserfocused93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key. Maybe try researching some Paleo baked goods. It'll always be a struggle though, just keep pursuing new ideas to help with the craving and you'll be good!
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    I LOVE sweet. I've had the most luck including fruit with almost every meal/snack time and budgeting for something "sweet" at bedtime. My breakfast is coffee with a measured amount of creamer (I eat my food in 4 meals in the afternoon/eve). I usually have a half a grapefruit with lunch, or some fresh berries...I like have a sliced Cara orange (like an orange/grapefruit hybrid...I'm on a citrus kick lol), and a "fruit/sweet" drink at dinner like a cherry Coke Zero or a grapefruit seltzer. My current favorite late night sweet snack is to weigh out 1-2 servings of cottage cheese (depending on remaining calories) and add 70g-100g of canned mandarin oranges or peaches, etc

Sometimes on the go (and now that I start work again this will be the case) I drink a chocolate flavored shake for a meal on the go (I work as a floor nurse and I have littles at home so sometimes this is a need) and this also satisfies a sweet need for me.

I have been doing this about 3 weeks or so and I haven't felt deprived at all. One night I was even wayyyy under my cals that day and I had enough for 3 Lindt truffles.

I'm not able to really drink coffee/have oranges or orange juice but I do drink a lot of tea and I've started drinking it with sweetened soy milk and I've found that it does help a little bit with the sweet tooth!

I sometimes do have some chocolate/sweet snacks if I am able to fit it into my calories but I've been trying to find some healthy alternatives to the stuff I usually have - oreos are my weakness. I've bought more fruit and going to try someone's suggestions of apples and dark chocolate and maybe try making some low cal banana bread!
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Halo top ice cream, whipped topping with vanilla extract frozen, ice breakers sours (just pop one or two in my mouth when i want something sweet), sugar free jolly ranchers (taste better and not sticky like regular and also just pop one or two when i want something sweet), kisses (one serving a day is 9 kisses, i will slowly randomly eat one throughout the day until ive reached my 9.) It all fits into my calories VERY easily.
  • butlermmc1950
    butlermmc1950 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You all are amazing. I am addicted to white sugar. I cannot eat ANY white sugar treats or I am off and running into a ditch with ice cream all over me. When I eat sugar, I only crave more sugar. Its never satisfied. I have to stay away from it and use fruit or even honey made treats don't effect me like refined sugar. There are a ton of paleo low carb recipes you can find online that are lower in calories and use things like coconut sugar that dont spike your blood sugar so high causing more cravings.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    just made chocolate banana nicecream for myself after reading this thread title so many times, The craving is real :p yummy
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    amyteacake wrote: »
    I feel you, @amyteacake - I have a terrible sweet tooth and I'm a fiend for Kitkats. What has worked for me so far is keeping what I love, but in smaller amounts. I'll usually have it at the end of a meal, so that I'm already sort of full. Apologies if it's been asked already, but what's your major weakness? Are Tunnock's teacakes too obvious a guess?

Oreos are my weakness and chocolate in general but that was a good guess haha

If you like Oreos, you might like Quest cookie & cream bars, or my fave is their cookies & cream PP mixed into Fage 0% Greek yogurt.
  • Sojo15
    Sojo15 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Orange with cinnamon. Date, walnut and shredded coconut balls with green cardamom and orange zest. Frozen raspberries. Kiwi. Grapes. This is how I get through it. But I seem to always be in the red on the sugars.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    What helped me most was to plan my meals/calories (and prep them) so I know exactly what is on my eating plan for the day. I try to save a little room for a sweet treat after dinner/before bed--usually Halo Top. That way, I know if a food isn't on my planned menu for the day, I'm just not going to eat it. That's what curbed the mindless snacking and indulging for me.

That's also what I do. I always save room for something small and sweet at the end of the day. Lately, it's been root beer floats (w/ only 4oz root beer and a serving size of ice cream). I can't eat artificial sweeteners so portion size is key for me.
  • klr1981
    klr1981 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Today I had a sweet tooth and did a piece of whole grain toast with some no sugar peanut butter and 1tsp of honey. Helped that craving and got a tad of protein and fiber out of it
  • klr1981
    klr1981 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sweet Tooth here as well!!! I’m the one at the coffee shop ordering nonfat milk, Soy, and Nut milks w/ my lattes, but I want the REAL sugar syrups ( no fake sweetener). I love mixing the flavors. I ❤️ chocolate & many other sweet delights. Could use alternative help as well. I love fruit, too, so it shouldn’t be that hard for me to just substitute it w/ that, but if I see a freshly baked soft (take it out of the oven early) chocolate chip cookie, it’s over!

Ditto on the chocolate chip cookies. They’re my kryptonite
  • iam_brandilei
    iam_brandilei Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

klr1981 wrote: »
    Sweet Tooth here as well!!! I’m the one at the coffee shop ordering nonfat milk, Soy, and Nut milks w/ my lattes, but I want the REAL sugar syrups ( no fake sweetener). I love mixing the flavors. I ❤️ chocolate & many other sweet delights. Could use alternative help as well. I love fruit, too, so it shouldn’t be that hard for me to just substitute it w/ that, but if I see a freshly baked soft (take it out of the oven early) chocolate chip cookie, it’s over!

Ditto on the chocolate chip cookies. They’re my kryptonite

Yes!!! Lol!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i make room in my calories for sweets. i blew more than half my calories for the day one day recently on 2 home made cinnamon rolls.

i dont regret it.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Tonight, all in my 1200 cal allowance, I have budgeted for 3 fun-size Mars bars (frozen, to prolong the ecstasy), 2 bags of baked crisps and a Cornetto style ice-cream. Lost nearly 6-stone so far, so I'm doing something right :)
  • silverstah
    silverstah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Budget it in! Last night we went out to dinner for a friend's birthday - rather than having restaurant dessert (expensive and probably not terribly tasty) we came home and had a heated-up paleo brownie and some halo top ice cream. Basically a brownie sundae for under 200 calories. :)
  • amyteacake
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    amyteacake wrote: »
    I feel you, @amyteacake - I have a terrible sweet tooth and I'm a fiend for Kitkats. What has worked for me so far is keeping what I love, but in smaller amounts. I'll usually have it at the end of a meal, so that I'm already sort of full. Apologies if it's been asked already, but what's your major weakness? Are Tunnock's teacakes too obvious a guess?

Oreos are my weakness and chocolate in general but that was a good guess haha

If you like Oreos, you might like Quest cookie & cream bars, or my fave is their cookies & cream PP mixed into Fage 0% Greek yogurt.

I don't we have quest here in the UK but they look amazing
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Apparently Tesco have started selling Halo Top ice cream here in the UK, for those that may be interested. I am, but they don't stock it in my local store yet. Quite glad actually, at £5 a tub, it's not something I want to really get into.
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh i also loooooove atkins candy and sweets. Its made with artificial sweetners. Artificial sweeteners dont bother me at all. The Atkins reeses are my favorite!! :D
  • amyteacake
    Options
    tar2323 wrote: »
    Apparently Tesco have started selling Halo Top ice cream here in the UK, for those that may be interested. I am, but they don't stock it in my local store yet. Quite glad actually, at £5 a tub, it's not something I want to really get into.

I tried to see if I could see any to try the other day in my local store but there was none there at all. They had another brand of low cal ice cream called Breyers that looked quite nice as well