Depression & Exercise

Options
Hey,
Just wondering how many people on here are suffering with depression, and if you have any tips to stay motivated.
I currently take antidepressants which do help, but also make me a bit spaced out and unmotivated to do any exercise. I always feel better when I’ve been to the gym but it’s the getting there that’s the problem.
Is anyone in a similar situation and have any advice?

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you belong to a gym, put on your workout clothes and shoes. Pick up your keys and drive over there. I relate, believe me: I’m on antidepressants and it’s hard to make myself leave the house! I write my gym times on a calendar so I treat those time slots as any other “real” appointment. It’s hard to remember that you’ll feel better afterwards when getting out there is so tough. But do it anyway!
  • lorri71
    lorri71 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi I suffer from depression after a stroke & leaving work. I can find many excuses not to go to exercise class/gym but if I was not so fit before I had my stroke I may not have had such a good out come, so I try and make living as fit as I can my motivation and goal. It is a struggle everyday and winter is particularly hard with cold days and lack of sun but lets hang in there and even a brisk walk in the winter makes you feel good.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start putting my gym bag in front of the door or on the front seat of my car so I can't avoid it. That worked before when I found it difficult to get motivated. You might write positive thoughts on index cards and put them on your mirror, your refrigerator, inside the front door, etc. where you will see them: things like "I always feel great after I work out" or "I know I can get myself to the gym because I've done it before".

Think about the times when you have successfully motivated yourself to get to the gym - what was different about those times? What can you do to make those sort of times happen more often? You might set a doable goal and approach your goal stepwise: once a week to start, then increase to twice a week etc.
  • swickered
    swickered Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Ziggy,

I'm so sorry you're struggling with depression, too. It's really tough sometimes to want to do anything at all. I've been on meds for about two years now, but should have been for probably the last 15.

I've always struggled with motivation, but a helpful perspective to me is thinking about how I can be kind to my body and what will feel physically good. It's super basic, but that's made a world of difference because I'd never treated myself in a caring, nurturing way before. So thinking about what feels good makes me want to eat healthier, get better sleep, and move my body.

Sometimes, if I don't feel very motivated, I'll start by just stretching at home, as simple as reaching up for the ceiling and touching my toes. The simple movement starts to feel good, and then I want to move more from there. I've also learned that sometimes, anxiety is a cry to release stress, so I associate that with a need to walk, run, do jumping jacks, whatever.

One last thought: whatever I choose for exercise needs to be pleasurable to me. Dancing, yoga, walking, and hiking are very enjoyable to me, but I hate team sports. If I look forward to the actual type of exercise, then I'm much more likely to do it.

I hope something resonates with you and you start feeling better. Depression sucks - I'm really glad to hear you're looking for ways to care for yourself :-)
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I've had depression most of my life, though it just clicked that that was what was wrong with me a few years ago, I've tried med's, none of them worked, so I stopped them and am trying to get back into exercising, it's hard, it's hard to get out of bed and go to the gym, I'll admit, lately with this cold icky weather, the bed has been winning out... Years ago, I worked out regularly, it was all that was keeping me sane, for some reason it stopped working, but after gaining 60#, I decided it was time to start again, and get my life back.

I don't really have advice on how to do it, if I did, I'd be a much healthier person. Good luck to us all.
  • jlynn1991
    jlynn1991 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do 20-40 minute workout tapes at home with Jillian Michaels. Quick and efficient. In Ripped in 30 she is very motivational which truly helps me. I feel so accomplished when I’m done and she really just relieves that stress and anxiety I have built up for the day.
  • 69HealthyMe
    69HealthyMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I’ve had depression for years. Exercise makes me feel better and I use to workout everyday. This past year has been a rough one on me and I didn’t make exercising and taking care of myself a priority. 2018 is going to be different. I’m going to eat better (I’m a stress eater) and get back to exercising. Have you tried any classes? Maybe a class you enjoy will help motivate you to exercise more.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from depression - at least not that I know of. But there is one thing I have noticed. On the days I DON'T work out - I am slow, listless, sleepy, anxious and in general - blah. I know I have to take a "break" day here and there, but the difference in my mood when I do is unmistakable.
  • loumoon5
    loumoon5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety, which morphs easily into situational depression. It helps to have a goal with a very clear reward. Can you make a commitment to baby steps, like promising yourself to go to the gym a number of times each week?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Just wondering how many people on here are suffering with depression, and if you have any tips to stay motivated.
    I currently take antidepressants which do help, but also make me a bit spaced out and unmotivated to do any exercise. I always feel better when I’ve been to the gym but it’s the getting there that’s the problem.
    Is anyone in a similar situation and have any advice?

Schedule it for when you are already out of the house and will be moving from one place to another.. such as immediately after you leave work, before going home. Or a group activity that is at a set time.
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I suffer from chronic depression and social anxiety. I have been on medication over half of my life now. I find that making small goals for myself daily, or weekly, is very helpful - not so overwhelming, and I usually end up surpassing those goals anyway! I know how hard it can be to get yourself going when you're feeling down, but it truly does help. Personally, I workout at home because the anxiety of setting time aside for, and getting to, the gym can be too much for me. Some days, even working out at home seems like a huge task, but I make it a part of my day just like getting up and going to work. I change into my workout clothes right when I get home from work so I don't have an excuse to sit down and get too comfortable. I know these aren't life-altering ideas, but I hope they're even a tiny bit helpful. Best of luck to you! Please feel free to add me as a friend, as well. I'm very open about my mental health issues - I'm pretty sure I've been placed on this earth to help others. :)
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've been a depressive for over 20 years, taking various medications. Lucky for me, we found the cocktail of meds that has left me depression free for two years! Halleluiah! But what works for me is telling myself to do something for just ten minutes. Just ten minutes. I can endure ANYTHING for just ten minutes. Oftentimes, I'd get to the end of my ten minutes and realize that I wanted to keep going. BUT even if I didn't, even if I wanted to quit, even if I just wanted to cry, at least I did ten minutes. Tomorrow, I'll try for ten more. And I have to add, I usually tried to do my ten minutes in the sun with some fresh air. I know it's hard this time of year. But if you can get outside and get a short walk in, you'll be much better off for it.
  • JamWam12
    JamWam12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression & anxiety for years and I've struggled to cope. Everyone's different so my tips may not work for you but could also be helpful.

1. Eat better foods. Giving your body the nutrients it requires will help reduce your hunger and for me has improved my mood.
    2. Exercise. You'll become physically stronger and more confident with your body. Helps to improve mood also.
    3. Don't rely on motivation and just do what you need to do. You'll start seeing the results and you'll become motivated and confident in your body.
    4. Discover the true you. For me I didn't understand my personality for quite sometime but knew I felt different from many people around me. I tried to fit in with the crowd but the experiences would mostly leave me drained, unhappy and depressed. Over the last year I've been discovering myself and now I'm finally ready to make changes which should drastically improve the quality of my life.
    5. Ease your way into the lifestyle change (not diet). I've focused on correcting my eating habits before doing anything else and now I'm ready to start exercising. You don't have to make all the changes at once.

All these things have helped me and I hope there may be some useful tips for you too. Wishing everyone here the best with their journeys and anyone's more than welcome to add me.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Put on your favorite music, turn it up loud, pull the shades and blinds and dance like a fool! It works. It’s exercise and gets dopamine and endorphins flowing!
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Meditation has helped me with depression more than anything else. I sit with my eyes closed every morning for an hour and I let my mind say what it wants to say. I feel everything I need to feel.

I don't resist thoughts or emotions. I see that I am so much bigger than my thoughts. You can start small, just 10 minutes a day. I can truly say that I don't suffer from depression for the first time since I was a teenager! I get sad and worried but it passes when I allow it to be there. Good Luck!
  • ZiggyRS0307
    ZiggyRS0307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Put on your favorite music, turn it up loud, pull the shades and blinds and dance like a fool! It works. It’s exercise and gets dopamine and endorphins flowing!

I must admit this is my favourite kind of exercise!

Thank you for all your input guys, you’ve really helped me think about the different ways to get motivated. Hope this thread has helped some of you too x
  • jenniferc933
    jenniferc933 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've bookmarked this discussion. Depression is very debilitating, I now accept that I have it now and again and ride the wave to the shoreline. Some waves take longer to get to the shore but they all do eventually. I have accepted that sometimes my wave will take longer than others at times but it always gets there.

At least I know what I'm suffering from, I know I have accepted it and I don't beat myself up about it - if I have a bad day, week, month then that is as it is - sometimes I have to get meds if it goes on longer but at least I know. There are people out there who are not aware of what is happening to them.

Let's ride the wave and sooner or later we will arrive at shore.