How can I make chicken and veg taste nice without gravy?

Options
2»

Replies

• myfitnesspalsophie
    myfitnesspalsophie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions :)
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Pesto :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Chimmichurri!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Teriyaki with GF soy sauce
    Tomato-based sauces, Vodka, marinara, spicy, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like red meat with veg, but I find the combo of chicken and veg really bland, I love sauces! My diet is free from egg wheat and milk. I've been using gluten free gravy but I'd prefer something I can make from scratch.

Make your gravy with cornstarch (naturally gluten free) instead of flour.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Butter helps. Lemon pepper does, too. I also tend to eat chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) instead of breasts because they aren't as dry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    herbs and spices and marinades...
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I like red meat with veg, but I find the combo of chicken and veg really bland, I love sauces! My diet is free from egg wheat and milk. I've been using gluten free gravy but I'd prefer something I can make from scratch.

You can make gravy with cornstarch instead of wheat flour (which is actually fairly common even for those not GF).

ETA: oops- realized I'm at least the 5th person to post this.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    And as posted above, if you've been getting boneless, skinless chicken and then dousing with gravy, then try the fattier cuts with skin (you likely won't feel the need to douse those with a creamy sauce, and they are usually a lot cheaper).

..(just realized that either [1] this is probably not the case if you have had chicken drippings to make gravy with before going GF, or that [2] you were previously using gravy packets before going GF in which case the cornstarch suggestion is sort of useless).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    balsamic glaze is pretty good on both chicken and veggies.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Roast root veggies with spices, olive oil, salt pepper then make a reduction of balsamic and maple syrup. Delicious!
  • RobDowney
    RobDowney Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Ms Dash on the chicken and mix in some Sriracha.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    The best thing about chicken is that you can cover it in pretty much anything, cook it in so many different ways and even cut it open and stuff it with things. It is a really versatile meat so google recipes and have fun with it.

Mind you nothing nicer than roast chicken and gravy :)
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    my family does not eat chicken unless its smothered in sauce, lol, But I did find one recipe that my family loves. Its like chicken cordon bleu, but way easier.

Take 4 chicken breasts and cut them in half to make then thin
    cover each with 2 slices of lunch meat ham
    spread 1/2 a wedge of laughing cow spreadable cheese over each chicken breast (I use swiss)
    then top each with 2tbsp of Italian bread crumbs
    Bake at 375 until done.

Ive made it without the ham also and its equally as good
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you like tomatoes I love tossing in some cut up grape tomatoes with some sauted mushrooms, onion, spinach etc. and garlic (plus I almost always add Italian seasonings). The tomatoes cook in a bit and their juices add to the veggies and it's almost like it's own light sauce.
  • MamaTanis
    MamaTanis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kraft has a really good salad dressing, Sundried Tomato and Oregano...use it as a marinade!
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just make a soup kinda deal, using broth

Fry onions with zucchini and green peppers
    Add in broth and chicken
    And whatever floats your boat for spice

And get the broth to a broil and then let it simmer till cook
  • srpotts1212
    srpotts1212 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Epicure has a great chicken and rib spice. As for your veg. Garlic, salt, pepper and a tiny bit of cayanne.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Slow cook in a crockpot...with garlic and a LITTLE salt, and water...not too much like maybe a cup for 1 whole chicken. The best time to add additional seasoning is after it's done. This keeps your sodium levels down and your chicken tender. Hate dry chicken. The broth can then be added to rice or potatoes, or not. Chicken will be tender enough that you won't need "gravy" or "broth." Just don't overcook. Check in on it after 2.00 hours on high, or 3.5 hours on low. Each crockpot's different, so try it when you are home all day. Can add onions and other veggies potatoes, carrots,etc.) at the end, like last 60 minutes.