Meal Replacement Shakes?

Options
I'm wanting to start using meal replacement shakes only because I have a lot going on right now and have very little appetite and wanted to know if meal replacement shakes actually work in losing weight.

Replies

• duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    These are good, my husband and I have used them for months at a time, mostly for maintenance and not losing, but I could do a whole morning at work after one of these. I like the nutrition in them. I mixed mine with unsweetened almond milk.

https://shop.oxyfresh.com/collections/nutrition/
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes tend not to be very filling, so keep that in mind - you'll probably find that your hunger will increase while consuming the same amount of calories.

I've heard good things about "Soylent" - it's a nutritionally complete drink that comes in some different flavours.

• brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I like slim fasts (more specifically the chocolate ones). I rarely drink them, but if I'm in a hurry and hungry I will. They're a little less than 200 calories and have a good amount of vitamins and minerals in them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eating less than you burn, consistently, for real, and for a long time, makes you lose weight. Whatever makes this happens, "works". Meal replacements are famous for "not working" - you'll lose some weight initially, but then you'll be hungry, bored and miss food, and then you stop, and go back to old habits, and then you regain. If you need to lose weight, having little appetite sounds ideal, because your goal would be to not eat too much. The way meal replacements work, however, they can be ideal to help you get your appetite back.

But that can set you up for yoyoing. A better approach for weight management, appetite and general health, would be to choose food, any food, you find appealing, and aim to hit your calorie target every day. When you're bored of those foods, pick something else. This a normal, natural and healthy way to eat, and it will lead to a normal, healthy weight and optimal health.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I prefer my "heavy" meal mid day and at dinner time when the rest of the family is having a big meal I'll have a shake. I like quest no flavor added powder or Paleo egg white powder , mixed frozen berries , almond milk and to really thicken it I'll add fiber powder. Another yummy shake, powder, almond butter, cinnamon, cashew milk.
  • nickbullett
    nickbullett Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It works as part of a calorie deficit diet. I buy the kirkland brand at costco as it's MUCH cheaper than other options.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    As others have said... it's all about the deficit. If they help you get into and stay in a deficit, then yes... they will help with weight loss. If not, then no.

Also... on a side note just so we're all talking about the same thing... a meal replacement shake should generally be higher calories and higher nutrients than a protein shake. A meal replacement shake replaces a meal, and should do so appropriately. A protein shake is a supplement to help with protein intake.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Every time I think about meal replacement shakes I think about how much tastier a smoothie I can make for the same cals would be, and that's including protein powder. Realize pulling together a smoothie is more work than the replacement shakes, though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Every time I think about meal replacement shakes I think about how much tastier a smoothie I can make for the same cals would be, and that's including protein powder. Realize pulling together a smoothie is more work than the replacement shakes, though.

Another vote for smoothies. Cheaper and tastier.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »

a bit more work yes

but the benefits are enormous, not least - variety. You can change your smoothie every day for a start
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements are famous for "not working" - you'll lose some weight initially, but then you'll be hungry, bored and miss food, and then you stop, and go back to old habits, and then you regain.

This is why I only use them for breakfast. It's the meal I'm least likely to miss variety with, and usually the one I am most rushed in getting to. I often drank my shake in the car on the way to work.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    Take a look at protein shakes at your store since they tend to be lower in calories.

A protein shake isn't a meal replacement...a protein shake is just a protein supplement. An actual meal replacement shake will have contain a variety of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals and will have a calorie content similar to eating an actual meal.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    xcheyxo18 wrote: »
    I'm wanting to start using meal replacement shakes only because I have a lot going on right now and have very little appetite and wanted to know if meal replacement shakes actually work in losing weight.

If it meets your calorie and nutritional requirements, and you find it satiating and can stand drinking them for more than a few times, then yes. Drinking your calories often doesn't provide much satiety though. It'll work better for any meals that you don't have time for and will be busy afterward (something like breakfast on a workday). You'll probably be able to find tastier, cheaper, more filling instant items at the grocery. (things like yogurt, cottage cheese, food bars such as Clif,Lara,etc (a lot of these have added fiber in addition to some added protein), cheese sticks, microwave meals,..)
  • TrudyPepparstrom
    TrudyPepparstrom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Soylent works great for me, especially the caffeinated ones for the morning. I have three a day and cook a light dinner and I feel full if I have half a bottle every two hours, which basically means 200 calories 8am, 10am, noon, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm. Then a roughly 400 cal dinner of real food at 8pm and I'm good for the day. If I have the entire bottle (400 cal) at 8, noon, and 4 it doesn't work as well for appetite management in my case, but splitting it up works well for me.
  • myfavoritealpha
    myfavoritealpha Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It works as part of a calorie deficit diet. I buy the kirkland brand at costco as it's MUCH cheaper than other options.

Huh. Didn't know Costco had any. I'll check them out tonight. Thanks!
  • Laruto
    Laruto Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Vega one nutritional shake is very versatile and gives u a good replacement and can mix with almond milk or veg ice cream or frozen berries. Yum!