tips on running up hill????

Options
I'm running my 1st 5K today and part of it is up a killer hill! Any tips on how to tackle it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Take small steps and keep your head down, don't look up to see how far you have to go! Listen to your fav. fast paced song if you can! Good Luck!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Take small steps and keep your head down, don't look up to see how far you have to go! Listen to your fav. fast paced song if you can! Good Luck!

yep, taking smaller steps works for me as well.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    JUST DO IT!:drinker:
  • tdwhalley
    tdwhalley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hit a steady pace you're comfortable with at the bottom of the hill and then Keep Going! I don't mean this in a facetious way. If you believe you can do it and have the mental strength to do it then your body will just get on with it and then next thing you'll know you're at the top of the hill.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    concentrate on lifting your knees high instead of stride length. that usually works for me.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    And don't stop. I find it so much harder to restart running up hill than if I just kept going, even when that's really hard.
  • casey_when_u_go
    casey_when_u_go Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lean in to it, take it steady, don't stop, and hopefully there will be a great downhill to follow!