UK TV Show - How to Lose Weight Well

Is anyone else watching this rubbish? Surely it's just promoting fad diets :/

Replies

• passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    600 cal a day...what a joke .
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    I am watching it. It seems to be testing them rather than promoting them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Nope! It'd just annoy me.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Carnhot wrote: »
    I am watching it. It seems to be testing them rather than promoting them.

Hmm I don't know, surely when they show the results and people have inevitably lost weight, viewers will be influenced by that.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    On the plus side, they proved diet pills don't work.
  • Carnhot
    They make no bones about side effects and how hard it is
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    I haven't been watching it, I feel like it would annoy me too much. I agree with @natboosh69, even if they are testing these diets and showing people how they do/don't work, someone out there is going to try it and believe that that's the way that they should lose weight
  • Carnhot
    Oh dear. She said cleanse and detox.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Started to watch then switched off. Same old same old.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    What channel was this on please?
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    SteamPug wrote: »
    What channel was this on please?

Channel 4
  • claire52975
    claire52975 Posts: 21 Member
    I don't understand why they're so complicated, if you eat at a loss, then you'll lose weigh. smh.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I don't understand why they're so complicated, if you eat at a loss, then you'll lose weigh. smh.

That doesn't sell well though....
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I used to love watching these type of shows, till I educated myself. Now they get me so angry I don't watch them anymore.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Then you've got Tom Kerridge who lost 168lbs on a low carb diet doing a TV show where he teaches people how to cook low calorie food

He has a dozen obese people and he's coaching them to lose weight

He is not teaching them the diet he did to lose the weight, he is giving each a calorie target though but they are not weighing their food, just dishing up plates and going "oooh this tastes good"

yeah, it's been cooked by a blinking 2 star Michelin chef, course it tastes good, but how many calories did you eat?

walofs
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    I think you're being a bit unfair to Tom there (probably coloured by I've met him and I think his heart's in the right place) - if you go to the website what he's cooking for them is weighed out precisely, they don't make a big deal of it in the actual show because viewers know the recipes are given by the BBC after, that's historically been true for a long time with cooking programmes on the BBC so it's designed that way. Here they are if you want to take a look. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09l5mdv/recipes

I've been watching the show and I usually zoom past the stuff I know I won't cook, but there's plenty of good ideas for novice cooks in there (like using half fat mozzarella, grating it to make it go further, adding parmesan for a bit of kick, roasting the beef to get Maillard reactions in before using it in the lasagne, etc.) I know I've come to the same conclusions or will be adding ideas to my own concoctions to go with my obsession over mushrooms, courgettes etc.

How to Lose Weight Well has always been eye-rolly though. I do admit to hate watching it though! :D
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    yeah

but they just put the pot on the table and started tucking in, they have known what went in but they didn't weigh the portion back out so didn't know how many calories they were getting

and I've watched both episodes, am British and have watched cooking on the Beeb for decades going back to Fanny Craddock

Why didn't he teach them the diet he did to lose the weight then?
  • Terebynthia
    Probably because it was "stop drinking 15 pints of beer a night you wally" with a side order of basic low carb. :dizzy:

I dunno, I don't mind there's a program which is basically about "look, CICO is what the NHS recommends, so here's some ideas about how to put extra taste into low cal food so you don't feel deprived" - particularly as it's split into themes which makes sense to people struggling with dieting - "I have no time", "I comfort eat".

Of the programmes on UK TV, I don't think this is the worst.
  • Terebynthia
    I will say the boy is a poster child for loose skin snaps back - I met him just post big weight loss and he was significantly looser than he was there :)
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    i watched the other night, surely they all lost weight because they cut calories regardless of what diet they did