Help Finding Healthy Carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Re: pasta - if you find whole grain pasta to be nasty, as my husband does, there are some alternative pastas which are much better, made with chickpeas, lentils, and so on. Soba noodles, which are made from buckwheat, are a good alternative to spaghetti. Not that much different nutritionally - although a little more protein - but lower on the glycemic index and for me at least less likely to cause blood sugar spikes.

Mashed "potatoes" made with half cauliflower and half sweet potatoes come out the most beautiful golden color. Roast the veg first for best flavor.
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    I love mixing a small can of four bean mix with a can of tuna (in water) as a snack. Heaps of protein and fiber and good carbs :smile:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If fiber is your key point, beans and lentils would be a great place to start. If you don't normally eat them, add them in slowly because they can do a number on your system if you just start loading up on them.

The carbs I focus on eating because I think they are good for me and yummy are any and all fruits & veggies, potatoes of all kinds (especially roasted), rice, farro, barley, lentils, beans, Thomas' whole grain English muffins.

I also eat plenty of carbs that most people would not consider healthy :lol: but whatever. Hope that helps!
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    Anything from the produce section basically, especially fruit, plus beans and whole intact grains.

Nothing wrong with regular potatoes, btw. They are a whole food, have plenty of fiber, and have been a food that has sustained civilizations.

I second this I usually eat 1-2 small potatoes (3-4.5 ounces) a day. They really help keep me satisfied and full.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    potatoes 100% are a good carb. They are a huge portion of my food. I eat 1-2 pounds of potatoes every day. They get a bad name because people deep fry them and butter them up and top with sauces and creams. There is nothing wrong with potato. They are very nutritious, Packed with fibre and studies have proven they are very satiating. Nothing keeps me energetic and light feeling and satisfied more thn potatoes. And thats coming from someone with PCOS so carbs are generally warned against for me. Wouldnt give them up for the world.

Truth. I just steam mine in the mic and season with s&p. Even with out the salt and pepper sometimes. They are just so darn good and very satiating. I've tried other carbs for lunch to pair with my salad but I'm left feeling hungry and not satisfied so I stick to the potato.

In place of rice I really enjoy cauliflower rice.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    maybe in weird, but i really like potatoes with sriracha. I especially like yukon gold this way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    maybe in weird, but i really like potatoes with sriracha. I especially like yukon gold this way.

Doesn't seem weird to me.
  • kimhski1
    kimhski1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Totally not weird. I waffle between sriracha and hot sauce with my potatoes.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    kimhski1 wrote: »

Totally not weird. I waffle between sriracha and hot sauce with my potatoes.

cant even see why theyd think its weird lol. I have been known to toast up potato in my toaster (yes my toaster) sprinkle sugar and syrup on them. lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I like black beans, wild rice cooked with mushrooms in chicken broth, rice cakes for a crunch (cheddar and white cheddar are favorites, Fage yogurt, popcorn, and apples with almond butter.
    Shana

Oh and one question: what is Fage yogurt? Is it a particular brand or is there something special about it? I'm probably going to look it up anyways, but I'm interested to know why you like it! :smile:

a quick google could have solved this- but since you haven't it seems....

It's a brand of "greek" yogurt- like Chowbani- or Siggi's- or StonyBrook- Or Okio's.

I prefer Cabot (the people who make the cheese) but I'll eat Fage.

Thus far I definitely don't like Chowbani and StonyBrook- and Siggi's is "okay".
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    White potatoes are one of the healthiest carbs I eat. Do you know how much potassium, magnesium, manganese, copper and zinc are in 200g of potatoes which is only 158 cals?!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    just read the other replies, sorry to beat a dead horse on the potatoes but I really love love love them for the potassium alone haha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've recently made it a goal of mine to reduce my consumption of added sugars and simple carbs. I know that this means reducing my intake of white and refined breads, white rice, regular potatoes, etc.

But, what I'm wondering is what are some healthier carbs you guys eat? I'm specifically looking for those with a good fibre content, but I am also looking for any insight you have on the topic, or resources you use!

Thanks in advance!

Actually, bread, rice, potatoes, etc are complex carbs, not simple carbs. I don't eat much bread, but I eat quite a bit of rice, and potatoes are a nutritional power house. I also eat a lot of legumes and lentils and such, along with veg and fruit.

Most of what you're talking about reducing is actually good whole food nutrition...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    just read the other replies, sorry to beat a dead horse on the potatoes but I really love love love them for the potassium alone haha

I had to beat that horse too...I really don't understand why potatoes are the devil, but somehow sweet potatoes are a super food...if you look at their nutritional profile, they are pretty dang similar...more vitamin A in sweet and more C in regular potatoes...other differences are pretty nominal...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I had to beat that horse too...I really don't understand why potatoes are the devil, but somehow sweet potatoes are a super food...if you look at their nutritional profile, they are pretty dang similar...more vitamin A in sweet and more C in regular potatoes...other differences are pretty nominal...

It’s just all the silly diet woo that gets spread around. Same thing with rice - some people think white rice is the devil and brown rice is oh so much “healthier” - when in actuality, their nutrition profiles are nearly identical.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

people love to hate.
    that's why.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Maybe the potato haters are fans of Harvard, which preaches against them.