Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Worth it? No.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    One of my rules is to never drink my calories. Liquids just don't have the same effect of filling someone up as the same number of calories coming from solids. Water all day erryday.

There's nothing you can't get from a juice cleanse that you can't get from just eating fruits. If anything, the juices are worse because of added sugars, the fruits are ol' natural.

But if you're into it, go for it. Your life.

I'll occasionally drink a breakfast protein shake because it's easy, but yeah. Generally speaking. I don't drink calories.

When out with friends on a cold winter evening, I sometimes save a couple of hundred for a hot apple cider. But if I haven't got the calories, there's always chai tea.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What do you hope to accomplish with it?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I did green smoothies for a while - 2 green smoothies; breakfast and lunch; was hardly hungry at all during the day. Ate supper like usual. Lost some weight, felt OK. But it really became a pain to keep up with it... between constantly having to buy significant amounts of fruits and veggies, then to wash them all...and to make the darn things and then clean the blender every day - it got to be too much work. Because I was doing this for me but still had to make normal meals for the family...

Not sure if the weight I lost was just water weight or not, but I will say they were satisfying and I was not hungry or hangry while I did it.

Juice would be different I think because the fiber isn't there to help fill you up.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think you should juice your veggies and blend your fruit. When you juice your fruit, you take out the fiber that counters the sugars in your fruits. I like to drink fruit and veggie smoothies once or twice a week for breakfast. It's a great pick me up and leaves your bottom half feeling very light. I personally would not do this for more than one meal replacement per day. I get too hungry for solid food, but to get an extra serving or two of veggies in for the day, I think they are great!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    But, why?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    threec wrote: »
    If I'm drinking my calories they are going to contain alcohol.

.....Or gravy

Yes! Us Northern girls lurve gravy
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have done some in the past. Three days probably won't do much UNLESS you are overweight and eat a lot of calories. When I was normal weight a juice fast would sort of make me feel different afterwards--like rejuvenated--but I wouldn't lose weight--probably because in three days I was consuming a decent amount of calories--perhaps not my TDEE but not so much of a deficit that in 3 days I would have cut 3500 calories.

When overweight I did a few juice fasts/cleanses, including one that pretty famous run by a person who has a documentary about it. Not going to name names. I did lose a lot of weight while doing it but, it isn't sustainable--has nothing in it that deals with maintenance and I actually was fatter when I regained than before the juice fast! FWIW I also ate raw and cooked fruits/vegetables in addition to the juices. The longest one I did was 15 days, which I did twice--eating raw and cooked fruits/vegetables and juices. I wouldn't recommend it UNLESS you are trying to go vegan and that is what you will mostly be eating anyway. As an overweight person it cut my calories significantly (since before was eating over 3000 calories--I wasn't counting then but once I started on MFP I realized what my caloric intake was hovering around and that is more than any normal TDEE for my height) so I did lose weight. However, I went back to eating "normally" afterwards and it rebounded back.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do a "Cleanse" my own body is capable of that but I do get some cold pressed fresh juices locally if I'm feeling a bit sluggish. They certainly seem like a shot in the arm some days. No intention of living off them.