Help with Exercise for weight loss with a damaged heart

Options
I have found myself in a bit on a blah moment and decided to come on and get some good ideas to help me. Mainly I would like some help on exercises. I have a damaged heart so I have to be careful about it pumping to hard out. And I get out of breath so quickly. Does anyone have any ideas for that? I have been doing yoga for a week now and that helps but I do want to do more. Time isn't a problem as I don't work due to health and I have no kids to look after. Lucky me

Also feel free to add me as a friend. It always help with that extra motivation :smile:

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You eat less for weight loss, and exercise for fitness. You really should talk to your doctor about how and how much you should exercise.
  • ajhitchens
    ajhitchens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You eat less for weight loss, and exercise for fitness. You really should talk to your doctor about how and how much you should exercise.

I need the fitness. I know I should ask my doctor but i cant get in to see him for a month and i really want to start trying things out. I can get my heart pumping without to much trouble but when it gets to much then I have to stop.
    So I am looking for something that will keep it at a good pace without going to fast.
    I am unfit so I know I need to do this.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In most cases, walking is the best thing you can do overall for exercise. I have done it and started out for a short distances and walked slowly and worked myself up to longer distances. I don't know your heart history so before starting any exercise check with your doctor or his/her
    PA. Good luck to you wanting to be fit.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    What about swimming. Good exercise because of water resistance and you can go at your own pace.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Walking is a great idea. You could look at Leslie Sansone walk at home videos. Doing some strength training is a good idea too.
    You can do any exercise at "a good pace without going to fast". You just do it slower or take more frequent breaks. It's all about learning to pace yourself, which many of us have to do for many reasons. Only you and your doctor can determine what is safe and what your heart rate should be.
    Beyond these generalities, I suggest that you not rely on random internet strangers to give specific advice for your medical condition.
  • ajhitchens
    ajhitchens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your ideas. The local pool is closed atm, its only open in summer. I have been walking but I think its time for me to increase it in time and add some hills.
    Thank you again