Turbo Fire: Is it normal to gain weight after starting?

Options
I posted this in the fitness section, but no one is responding. Hopefully I get a response here.

Here is my week 1 Turbo Fire pic
TurboFireWeeklyPictorial.png.jpg

(please excuse what I'm wearing) I take weekly pictures to see how I'm progressing.

I actually gone up 3 lbs since starting Turbo Fire. Went from 115 to 118 :sad: I honestly don't know what that is all about. I'm weighing all my food, tracking calories and making sure that I have a 2500-2900 weekly deficit. Why am I gaining instead of losing? *was losing consistently when I did Turbo Jam* The only thing that changed is my exercise routine.

I also upped my calorie intake by a few hundred, depending on the amount of calories I burn from my workouts. My TDEE usually hover around the 2k mark, so I just subtract 400-500 cals from it to get my cal intake for the day.

Replies

• KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion and you should not be weighting yourself everyday. Also I am sure you did not gain three lbs in one day. You may have had more water or more sodium or maybe it is around your TOM. The scale is honestly not a reliable tool because SO many things go into making up your weight. You are a GREAT weight now and you look great in your pictures. I say measure yourself and step away from the scale :). I too am doing TF and LOVE it!!!!
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Maybe muscle gain?
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week, sorry for the confusion. Everyday would be too much.
    I can't comprehend the sudden weight gain. I'm busting my *kitten* off and burning at least 500 cals per workout.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    You can totally see a difference. Trust me I notice these things. Don't worry about the weight. Yes it is normal. You changed things up and shocked your body.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I can already see an improvement! Muscles tend to hold on to extra water when they are stressed, so from heavy lifting OR if you start a new program.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You can see slight definition between the pictures. You are probably gaining muscle mass which will make you gain weight.
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Youre picture on the right looks much better. If it makes you feel any better I can gain over 7lbs in a day, and lose it just as fast. If you are seriously monitoring your weight then weigh yourself twice a day everyday, and youll see that there are constant fluctuations because of temperature, water intake, even humidity can affect weight over a short time scale.

But of course if your more concerned with how you look then ditch the scales and get a tape measure!
  • MoonIite
    Options
    Just noticed that i put the wrong date. The second picture was taken today.

Thanks for the response. I'm slightly discouraged that the scale is not showing the effort I put into my workouts.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    oh ok I looked at the Aug 1 and Aug 2 as dates lol. I see a difference in your two pics and you look great! Is still say measure yourself instead of using the scale. My weight when I check it (which is not often) goes up and down all the time. I could not take the stress anymore so I switched to the tape measure. Keep up your great work. Like Chalene says do it for you not for the number on the scale. Who cares about the number do it for YOU!!!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    if your body is sore at all from working out.......it will show on the scale as your muscles retain water when they are sore--and this is what causes a slight gain--it will disappear just keep on keeping on :)
  • MoonIite
    Options
    I know I shouldn't be fixated on the number, but I expected at least a 0.5-0.7 loss from the workouts I've been doing.
    The soreness kicked in after the second day of starting the program, but it has gone away now.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, how you look is WAY more important to what the scale says. No one sees the scale but you. Everyone can see your stomach shrinking.
  • MoonIite
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. A few of you mentioned measuring oneself to track progress, I don't exactly know how to do that. I've just been relying on my scale to judge fat loss or gain. Where do I start?
  • jpenneyweightloss
    Options
    You could take a totally radical approach to this -

For the first couple of months, don't pay attention to the scale or the measurements AT ALL. Just keep your calories down, keep your nutrition up, keep the workouts going. Stop taking pictures. Focus on the work instead of the result, and enjoy the fact that you're disciplined enough to do this stuff. Set yourself some workout goals instead of weight goals - 5 more minutes of rowing, 2 more miles of running, stuff like that. Just do that for a month, then come back and check out the weight goals.

Just to throw a little color in the mix.

Good luck!

Oh by the way, remember that women far overestimate their "overweightness" - and men far underestimate it (I was shocked to learn I was 60 lbs overweight, I thought I was maybe 20) so make sure you check in with your doc on what your weight goals should be.
  • MoonIite
    Options
    I think 105 lb is a good weight to aim for, for someone who is 5'1". I wish I was taller so I could eat more food. My daily intake is around 1400-1500. It seems that 120-115 is my body's happy weight, but I want to lose a few vanity pounds.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Having now seen the pictures you've definitely lost measurements. (your thighs are slightly smaller)

It's your body being a **** to you ;-)
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    There is DEFINITELY a difference! That is SO awesome to see in the first week! I am going to take measurements every week or 2 and record them in a notebook. I agree with the others. Sometimes the scale doesn't reflect what a measuring tape would! I'm so excited to start!!
  • MoonIite
    Options
    I'll follow your lead and start taking my measurements. My scale is not a reliable tool because it can't differentiate between water weight and regular body mass. For all I know, I could have lost a pound but it's masked by water retention.

Good luck with Turbo Fire! It's such a fun workout that you'll never want to skip a day of it.