Upped my carbs and hunger has increased!

Options
2»

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I had been feeling tired, a lot. There could be anunwbr if logical reasons for this.

Over the festive period there were Uber amounts of food and I had expected weight gain which I thought I would sort out when back into normal routine and following a balanced diet. Today:
    Skimmed milk, 1 pint and a protein bar at breakfast (I was up early and we were going out for proper breakfast), egg sandwiches for breakfast on multi grain bread with mayo, lunch pizza and salad (healthy pizza lots of tomatoe potion controlled approximately 600 kcal), 3 coffees and an apple. Then returned home had some dark chocolate and the evening a complete failure, snacking all evening and wanting lots of food! Usually I get this at certain times of the month.

I wonder if life carbs are stimulating rather than supressinf my appetite. Any thoughts ? Apart from I could just be greedy?

It seems you may also need more protein. You had the bar and then the eggs and then pizza and salad. Was there any protein after breakfast?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the types of carbs I am eating. Carbs that are high fibre fill me up. Lacking in fibre and I'll be hungry again soon after. In saying that for satiety I do need a good amount of protein in a meal too. Fat not so much.

Threads like this a great as it shows how different we all are and why there is no one diet to suit all.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I too vote for less carbs and more protein. It helps me. Also, you might have some hidden sugar intake (dressings, protein bar, etc.). Sugars make me (fake) hungry too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    For me?
    Veggies: not an issue (considered "carbs") I can eat lots of veggies, and not find myself wanting to over eat.

Heavily refined, processed convenience foods? I'm ravenous once I start.

Fiber. Whole foods....

I'm now just saying: protein, fat, fiber. "carbs" doesn't mean much for me.
  • wibblewobblejellyontheplate
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I had been feeling tired, a lot. There could be anunwbr if logical reasons for this.

Over the festive period there were Uber amounts of food and I had expected weight gain which I thought I would sort out when back into normal routine and following a balanced diet. Today:
    Skimmed milk, 1 pint and a protein bar at breakfast (I was up early and we were going out for proper breakfast), egg sandwiches for breakfast on multi grain bread with mayo, lunch pizza and salad (healthy pizza lots of tomatoe potion controlled approximately 600 kcal), 3 coffees and an apple. Then returned home had some dark chocolate and the evening a complete failure, snacking all evening and wanting lots of food! Usually I get this at certain times of the month.

I wonder if life carbs are stimulating rather than supressinf my appetite. Any thoughts ? Apart from I could just be greedy?

It seems you may also need more protein. You had the bar and then the eggs and then pizza and salad. Was there any protein after breakfast?

I had cheese on the pizza - goats cheese so thought that was contributing to my carb intake? X
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    150 carbs is a good number for me (for 1700 calories). I can't do low carb, makes me fill horrible and not satisfied.

The main thing really is to have a good balance at every meal and not just eat plain carbs as a snack/meal, it's a recipe for disaster. So, a piece of toast with eggs and bacon, sure, but an egg and bacon sandwich... not so great for me. And I can't really have pizza or more bread the same day.

But veggies, beans, fruit, totally fine... the fiber makes it more filling (fiber in whole grain baked goods or oats does nothing for me though).

The key really is finding what works for you. For me, apples will curbs my hunger pretty much every time with a piece of cheese or some Greek yogurt. I can't do just toast in the morning (even with nut butter) or oatmeal because I'm starving 2 hours later. To be fair, it totally depends on the time of the month for me too though, but that's the rules for when my hormones don't make me hungry.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I am a carb lover, but they don't fill me up. A couple of hard boiled eggs will do a whole lot more for me then a bunch of carbs. Carbs are my friend that turns on me...and protein, no matter how much time passes, is always there for me.
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Everyone is different, but some people, myself included, have 'rebound hunger' when consuming high-glycemic, or fast digesting carbohydrates. Much of my success in losing weight is from switching to low-glycemic carbohydrates like vegetables, fruit and dairy, which leave me satisfied. Unlike sugar and processed flour products, these items don't spike my blood sugar, or leave me with rebound hunger later on.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/how-carbs-can-trigger-food-cravings/