Food is step one. Emotional change is step two.

I know how to lose weight! Calories in < Calories out. What I struggle with is giving up, emotional eating, and getting trapped in a stress cycle that ends in my giving up my weight loss journey.

What are you doing to create a real emotional/mental/spiritual change in the New Year?

Replies

• Kellykokeny
    Kellykokeny Posts: 2 Member
    Read the book calm energy. I just read it for a class. Talks about our tension and stress levels encourage us to eat
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,522 Member
    I’m maintaining now. But when losing I gave my all to my journal. I lost the last 40lbs of 100 by keeping a journal. Food scale, research, planning, it was my hobby. I made goal and kept tracking for five years. The only time I took off were my week long vacations.

Once I convinced myself that I was never going to have the out of not tracking, I found that tracking would save me from my unhelpful tendencies. I really did order a pizza with the intention of eating the whole thing. But when I got to the third piece, the voice came “Really, how many calories is this going to be?” I was going to have to write it down.

If I didn’t write it down I was throwing all my effort out the window. Don’t get me wrong, there were plenty of times I ate too much. Lapses, math mistakes, lack of focus, but it all was written down. The process is more important than the numbers.

What I’m suggesting is that if you invest in the process, you can neutralize your unhelpful moods. Tracking is a way to move ahead regardless of how you feel at any point in time. The few times I actually forgot, I made a good faith effort to go back and fill it in. The only way to mess it up is to decide not to do it.
  • opandemonium
    opandemonium Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2018
    @88holds - (I hope I'm tagging you right) I journal all the time, and I read. I started a blog to keep track of my process and post my internal work (maybe someday I'll make it public, lol.)

I log no matter what. My issue is, every year about April I have this big project at work that is extremely stressful. For the past three years, I start out the year fine, I'm all in. Then April comes along and I get so overwhelmed with my 12-hour days I put everything on hold. I stress eat, gain back the weight, maintain until January, then start the vicious cycle all over again.

How have you kept so consistent for so long?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,522 Member
    There’s a long learning curve, but eventually, I knew most of the numbers. I suppose it helps that I eat the same things a lot and they’re pretty basic. My meals are mostly cooked on weekends and go in the microwave.

I tracked with pen and paper. Only takes a couple of minutes if you don’t have to do a lot of math. The gadgets weren’t quite as useful when I started as they are now and I found the computer a pain. I kept the journal on the kitchen counter next to the food scale.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    88olds wrote: »
    I’m maintaining now. But when losing I gave my all to my journal. I lost the last 40lbs of 100 by keeping a journal. Food scale, research, planning, it was my hobby. I made goal and kept tracking for five years. The only time I took off were my week long vacations.

Once I convinced myself that I was never going to have the out of not tracking, I found that tracking would save me from my unhelpful tendencies. I really did order a pizza with the intention of eating the whole thing. But when I got to the third piece, the voice came “Really, how many calories is this going to be?” I was going to have to write it down.

If I didn’t write it down I was throwing all my effort out the window. Don’t get me wrong, there were plenty of times I ate too much. Lapses, math mistakes, lack of focus, but it all was written down. The process is more important than the numbers.

What I’m suggesting is that if you invest in the process, you can neutralize your unhelpful moods. Tracking is a way to move ahead regardless of how you feel at any point in time. The few times I actually forgot, I made a good faith effort to go back and fill it in. The only way to mess it up is to decide not to do it.

This is awesome! One of the best posts on MFP.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    edited January 2018
    I can be an emotional eater too
    And my job gets stressful at times

For me cutting out sugar is key. Now I have No blood sugar fluctuations (that drive me to eat more carbs or desserts) I don't get hangery. My hormones feel balanced. I feel in control even when things are stressful. It has made things easy. Sugar is a drug.

I really only indulge on my birthday or big milestones. I bake desserts with stevia so I don't feel like I miss out. They're delicious!
    I know it's not for everyone, but def try it if ur interested!!

Otherwise, keys to long term success - goals!
    Whether it's a fun run, reaching a certain dress size, hiking a mountain, getting your family involved in fitness! Goals keep us moving forward and on the long-term track to success/maintenance :)

That and Perspective. We only feel upset or in pain when we lose perspective on the bigger picture of life

Your post makes it sound like you already know you're going to sabotage yourself. But why? Believe in yourself. You are strong. You can handle the stress. If anything, stressful times are the times it's most important to take care of your health! None of us are getting any younger

Your life is sacred

And I'll be here cheering you on. Especially in April

Never give up