Alternative to lunges for bodypump class?

Options
I have problems lunging on my left foot because of bunions and pretty bad overpronation(I'm also super flat-footed). I take bodypump classes and they do a portion of the class that is lunging and a portion that is squatting. I can finally squat without any problems, but I can't lung on my left side because I can't bend my foot back/put any weight on it without it caving inward and causing a lot of pain in my big toe. The instructors told me to just do squats during that portion but that seems like a lot of squatting and I'm afraid I'm missing out on other moves I could be doing instead. Will squatting cover all of the muscles that lunging does or are there alternatives that would be better?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont do lunges ever because they are hard on my knees. Step ups would be a good alternative.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    https://yurielkaim.com/squat-vs-lunge/

"Both the lunge and the squat activate the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes at different stages of their movement. However, even though forward lunges activate more of the quads than the glutes and hamstrings, other lunge variations – which you’ll see below – effectively target both the glutes and hamstrings.

Not to mention, lunges also mimic a wide range of natural, functional movements such as walking, running, sprinting, and climbing/going up stairs, making them excellent for developing everyday strength.

Also, since the movement occurs on just one leg, lunges activate more stabilizer muscles. These muscles involve our core and help our spine remain stable during real-world and sport-specific movements.

Surprisingly, Bulgarian split-squats (a variation of the traditional lunge, which has the rear foot elevated on a bench or box) also elicit similar activity in the rectus abdominis and erector spinae muscles as squats"
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I dont do lunges since they cause pain to shoot down my leg. Squats or deadlifts are my subsitute. maybe a kettlebell deadlift?? since its in a class
  • Emmey56
    Emmey56 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I first started pump lunges hurt to much for me to do more then the first part of the track, my instructor said squats are the best alternative. That's what I did and I still got a full work out. I can do now lunges but the are still times when I switch back to squats, I actually did it today in pump!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    zoeyzore wrote: »
    Will squatting cover all of the muscles that lunging does

It trains the same muscles, but not the same skills. It's hard to explain, but basically lunges train sideways stabilization & balance, so it's good to include them. Try doing stationary lunges with the sole of your back foot resting on an angled wedge like this:

VzLBsjP.jpg

You can make an angled surface by stacking 3 or 4 small plates, then laying a large plate diagonally on them. Makes sense?
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Ditto with my instructor saying to do squats if lunges were a no go. :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Squats should be fine or someone else suggested Bulgarian split squats. You can just put the top of your back foot on the step and then go down into a lunge.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Are the instructors guiding you clearly on how far forward (not) to step when lunging. Most people(and that includes trainers) Step way too far out, which exacerbates the stress on the rear leg.

Second the recommendation to use a step or if your flexibility allows, to do the lunge on your instep vs your toes
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I cannot do forward lunges at all. However, back lunges I can do. Very weird. Have you tried that?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    I cannot do forward lunges at all. However, back lunges I can do. Very weird. Have you tried that?

That's because it's harder to step back too far with back lunges than it is to hyperextend forward.

Try taking 3/4 of a normal(not a lunge) step forward and dropping your knee. Work up to a "normal" step.

Most people take a "lunge step" forward, which is invariably too far.

A lunge is "a deep step" not a long step.
  • zoeyzore
    zoeyzore Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I found the I can do bulgarian split squats and back lunges are easier than forward lunges as far as pain so my problem may be stepping out too far. I'm also going to try making a wedge to see if that will help. I know it's silly but I feel embarrassed sometimes in class because I am the only person who can't do the lunging portions. If I can make something small to bring to class so I could still complete the movements, that would be awesome. If I still have pain, I'll do squats and try the other moves outside of class.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!!
  • Aud66
    Aud66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Split squats
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I found the I can do bulgarian split squats and back lunges are easier than forward lunges as far as pain so my problem may be stepping out too far. I'm also going to try making a wedge to see if that will help. I know it's silly but I feel embarrassed sometimes in class because I am the only person who can't do the lunging portions. If I can make something small to bring to class so I could still complete the movements, that would be awesome. If I still have pain, I'll do squats and try the other moves outside of class.

That's because it's harder to step back too far with back lunges than it is to hyperextend forward.

Try taking 3/4 of a normal(not a lunge) step forward and dropping your knee. Work up to a "normal" step.

Other than the direction of the step, is there actually any difference between a forward and back lunge?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Other than the direction of the step, is there actually any difference between a forward and back lunge?

No. i've been told they are exactly the same, but the reverse lunge stresses the knee less.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Have someone measure with a cloth or Builders tape the distance between your toes on a "normal" forward and back lunge.... Then you'll know.

For most people, unless they practice not taking extra large steps forward, the distance will be shorter going backwards.
  • fitfoundations
    fitfoundations Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How about split squats, single leg deadlifts, or single leg squats? This eliminates the "pushing" motion of lunges and keeps the feet stable.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Forward lunges use more glutes, as you push back to a standing position. The front leg does most of the work, which is why it's harder than the back lunge, where both legs work about equally (much like walking lunges).