Can i use BMR instead of TDEE?

Options
So 97% of the day, I am in bed doing nothing and not moving. I only get up 2 maybe 3 times a day for potty and food (im in a wheelchair) then im back in bed. So i believe im less then sedentary. Could I use my BMR and base my deficit off of that? My BMR is 2300. I weigh 329 and im 5'6".

Replies

• witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    In your case, i'd probably add about 100 calories to BMR.
    Remember that your BMR will go down with weight loss.
    Since you're inactive, i'd keep carbs low, or at least not high. :+1:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,721 Member
    Options
    MFP sedentary is RMR x 1.25 and anticipates approximately 25 to 35 minutes of non sitting/lying in bed activity.
    I note that even mental activity requires calories (for example the MET value of a telephone call is about 1.5)

While in your case you may be required to adjust to a higher deficit in order to achieve the results you want, my suggestion would be to aim for a 500 Cal deficit and see what results you get. If you get a lb a week... YEAH; if not increase your deficit by a little bit, if you can do so and remain compliant.

While your current weight argues that you **could** aim for a deficit larger than 500 Cal a day; your description of having a very low TDEE argues that you actually shouldn't.

Depending on your current abilities you might be able to look into sitting exercises. Also, if your wheelchair is not mechanized you might be more active than you think.