I don't know what else to do!

Options
Okay I need some input. And if you're not okay with TMI, then turn around.

Not that anybody wants to know, but I have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). With that sometimes comes diarrhea and sometimes constipation. Daily, I take my IBS medication, a stool softener, and a fiber supplement. Now since I've started MFP, I've been drinking 6-8 bottles of water per day, eating all-around healthier food. But about a week or so ago, I became constipated. Usually I'm pretty regular (like 1ce/day), so fter a couple of days I was concerned and took a laxative, which took care of the problem.

Since then I have not gone significantly at all. Sure I've eaten some regular food, but I've also eaten plenty of rabbit food (i.e. broccoli, salads, applesauce, etc.). Yesterday I took a laxative, and that didn't work. Today I took another, and that has yet to work. The doctor told me just to take a laxative until I go...

...but I don't feel right doing that. Any natural fixes???

Replies

• cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Prunes, lots of coffee, ground flax...

Edited to add this- I have/had IBS- luckily it calmed down when I managed the stress in my life, but I still have some issues like you're describing, so I'll use the above. Another thing I found that helped regularity was taking a probiotic supplement. Or you could just overload on fresh fruit, but that gets a bit painful :P Good luck, and hope something helps soon!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Consider investing in a good probiotic supplement?
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had something similar happen to me when I started. Your body might be using up much of what you are eating, which leaves little waste left to pass. Eventually your body works itself out but it's wasn't anything for me to worry about. Maybe that is what is happening to you.

PS it too about a month or two to work out
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Stool softeners are preferred over laxatives. Your body can become dependent on laxatives. Not that I'm saying you are of course. Have you tried Miralax? That worked well for me. It's over the counter and works like a laxative but it isn't a stimulant.

Also, I second the suggestion about prunes and flax. I'm not a coffee drinker myself, but if you are, I've heard that is good too. And as much fresh fruit and veggies as you can take in always helps too. Apples are a great natural stool softener.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    Prune juice. Take fiber con with a cup of coffee. Or you could try a glycerin suppository.
  • livingonpurpose77
    livingonpurpose77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    try the foods that's suppose to be a natural laxative, as well as an OTC one. I wouldn't be too concerned yet. I've had the same issue, and it eventually works itself out......um, pun intended? lol ;)
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    If you made a lot of food changes quickly that could be causing constipation. Your body may not be used to digesting the more complex foods.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Avoid binding foods--bananas, white rice, cheese, etc. I've even read that while whole apples with skin and apple juice can move things along, apple sauce can be binding because fiber is lost in processing, and it contains significant amounts of pectin. Oatmeal and bran cereals are good for moving things along.
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    I agree with coffee. I don't know about the others, like prune juices (or prunes) cuz I haven't tried them, but I have a coffee every day in the morning and it does the job (for lack of a better suggestion to say it haha). On those off days I don't have coffee, I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen. Try it if you want, maybe it'll work!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Probioti and Miralax keep my IBS in check :smile:
  • firepixie
    Options
    I have Crohn's, so I can relate. I had a massage that did wonders for my guts. She focused on my back, no tummy rubbing. Had to go be for I went home. Google something to do with yoga and intestines. There are some yoga moves that can help too. Feel better and pay serious attention to what you eat. I do much better on vegan diet. Meat, dairy and eggs seem to cause flare ups. Dried fruit seems to as well.
  • carissaxoxo
    carissaxoxo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    excercise could help. I've noticedwhen I don't excercise as much it's harder for me to go.
  • sexybeautifulme
    sexybeautifulme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from IBS and wheat cereal like Frosted Mini Wheats would do it for me. That is why I avoid eating wheat as much as I can except for breads and pasta. But cereal has a laxative effect on me.