Tea drinkers

Options
I'm a big coffee sugar and cream type girl. But I want to give it up and drink teas. How do I make them taste good and which ones are best. How to drink tea Mm

Replies

• lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I dont drink coffee as it makes me feel thirsty after it. I suppose its going to be personal preference but if you try the herbal teas you will probably find one you like. If I feel cold, I drink lemon & ginger tea, it warms me up. But I am just a normal Typhoo tea bags & semi skimmed milk girl really
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You might try wild berry zinger. It has a pretty strong taste, and I really like it although I do tend to drink green tea more lately, which is more of an acquired taste.
  • easyvegan
    easyvegan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    English breakfast is my all time favourite, and I would say is on the same level of coffee in the terms of sweetness/bitterness and individual taste (but doesn't taste like coffee, I bet that made no sense) - I have it with almond milk (I eat a plant based diet) but semi skimmed also known as 0.1% fat milk is what I used to drink it with, a large gulp of that and it's really lovely, less calories than cream and not as much caffeine it you let the tea bag brew for a minute or less and give it a little swish around.

In terms of herbal, I love mint tea - fresh or dried, it helps aid the digestive track and settle's upset tummies. Really nice too without adding sugar/milk. A good transition tea if you're hoping to drink green tea which helps to speed up your metabolic rate, I'd recommend trying out a few green tea's as some can be terribly bitter - one's that have lemon in are really nice and help make them a little sweeter.
  • chantelleauger
    chantelleauger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different herbal teas out there, some I like are; lemon & ginger, peppermint, green tea with lemon (add honey to make it sweeter), redbush (rooibos) which you can add milk & honey to :-) They all have their own benefits.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I drink so many different teas.

Apple cinnamon right now, black breakfast tea is my main one.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I love apple cinnamon tea, vanilla spice, masala chai, mint anything, lemon and ginger, I have a ginger peach one that's actually pretty good.

I have around 6 different kinds of herbal tea I drink in afternoons at work and probably 12-15 different kinds at home.
    When I want to try new ones I look for smaller packs so I can try it a few times but am not stuck with 20 bags or a full pound of loose leaf if I don't like it. I have some that I like so much I order in bulk on amazon (apple cinnamon, vanilla spice, lemon, and mint teas I usually order in bulk because they're my go-tos)

I also really like twinnings winter spice tea

English breakfast and earl grey and lady grey are also quite good but I think can be an acquired taste if you aren't used to it.

Some herbal teas I find too watery so I add extra tea bags for stronger flavor. But I don't usually ever have to add milk or sugar to any of them.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    English breakfast is my go to - a little maple syrup, a splash of cashew milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon is all I need. Took a bit of time to figure out what preparation method worked best for me.

Otherwise, apple cinnamon tea, mint or honey vanilla tea are my non-caffeinated options, prepared similarly to the above with a touch less maple syrup. Mint I can drink with no milk/syrup when desperate.

My sister loves English Breakfast and Mint as well - she takes both plain or with lemon.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like black tea with a dash of milk, or green tea flavoured with lemon or ginger. Fruit infusions are actually really nice too, they come in like berry or lemon and ginger flavours and look like tea (they even come in teabags!) but technically aren't tea
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    When I first started drinking tea ages ago, I didn't know you could put milk or sugar in them, so I always drank them straight. [in Jenna Marble's voice] "YOU CAN ADD MILK TO YOUR TEA? WHAAAAAATT??"
    Now I can't have it any other way. Some teas honestly don't even need milk or sugar- like Red Rose strawberry cheesecake.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I enjoy coffee with just cream. I've come to love bitter flavours. If you really really enjoy something, why torture yourself giving it up entirely? Life and food is to be enjoyed. Perhaps just cut back frequency. Or, if you gradually reduce the sugar I believe your taste buds will have an easier time making the transition to appreciate bitter flavours.

Also, shelling out to buy good coffee or tea really helps going sugar free. Bad and bitter are not the same thing lol. A good bitter coffee is like dark chocolate. A quality tea with no additives is much the same, more smooth and refreshing and sharp and acidic.

When I don't have cream, I put honey and coconut oil or butter in there. Yes.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I am a total tea addict. I have about 20 different teas at my work desk right now.

Most of mine are from David's Tea. I really like flavoured black teas or unflavoured greens like sencha or genmaicha.

I drink my green teas without any additives, but I do like a splash of almond/cashew milk and a squirt of liquid stevia in my black teas.

If you live somewhere with a David's Tea I'd be happy to give some recommendations. I've tried at least 40 of their teas.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    SnowOwl26 wrote: »
    I'm a big coffee sugar and cream type girl. But I want to give it up and drink teas. How do I make them taste good and which ones are best. How to drink tea Mm

Not sure how to answer since what tastes good to me might not taste good to you. Especially since I love tea. I'm not a fan of fruit teas. I prefer a little spice in mine so I drink a lot of chai green or black teas. I also tend to add Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice (which actually contains no tea but is mostly just spices) in with most teas I make, even chai. Right now I am drinking a big mug with a mix of Yorkshire and Bengal Spice teas in it and it's quite lovely.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    My current favorite is Harney and Sons earl grey supreme. I can easily drink it black. The company makes several teas that I really enjoy, but this one is by far my favorite. I order it on Amazon (that is, I have a monthly subscription to it on Amazon and I get sad if I run out).

No, I do not work for Harney and Sons.

I metabolize caffeine slowly, so I only have caffeine-free teas after noon. I like making iced tea with a blend of Celestial Seasonings wild berry zinger and red zinger (or just wild berry if you can’t find red).
  • RobinAlex666
    RobinAlex666 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I second David's Tea- peach apricot and Tiesta tea- fruity pebble. Both unsweetened
    I drink both of them iced and they're sooo good
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Early Grey. Black.

The best thing to do is to just try them out. Some tea brands have tester sets with different flavors in one package. That way you can test different ones without having to buy a package of each flavor. (I won't bother listing brands since I probably live on another continent than you :wink: ). Just browse the shelves of your local grocery store to see what's available and pick something that strikes your fancy.

Try it plain. Try it with some honey. Some lemon. Some milk. Some sugar. Any of the above combined. To see what you would like. As stated above, I'm an Earl Grey, Black kinda girl. My dad will put milk and sugar in green tea (which I find an aberration, but he likes it, so I'll fix it that way for him). Don't bother with what people would consider as 'appropriate' for a given tea. It's your taste buds that have to swallow that stuff, so feel free to experiment. Once you've tried all possible combinations and find that you can't drink it. Try another kind (and see if you know someone who you could foist the tea off on :tongue: )

If there's a specialty tea shop near you, you can always drop by and smell your way through the selection. They're usually pretty competent at helping you find something appropriate if you give them some idea what you like. They might also be willing to sell you a small sampler (just enough for 2-3 teas) to test a particular one. You just have to ask.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love coffee more than tea, but I like both, and try to consume more tea this time of year (when I'd otherwise get way too much caffeine from my coffee, because I drink a ton just to stay warm).

For black tea (which isn't as helpful for cutting caffeine, obviously), I love Earl Grey.

I also love a lot of herbal teas and flavored teas (currently into ginger peach, as it hit the spot when I was sick and didn't even want coffee).

Since there are so many different teas, I'd say just start trying different ones.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I love tea! Green Tea, Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Peppermint Tea... I drink it hot or cold, always unsweetened and no milk or cream.

Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice is one of my very favorites for the extremely cold weather we've been having lately! It tastes like Atomic Fireballs (without getting yelled at by my dentist)!
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of herbal teas. My favorites are Tazo Refrish Mint and Trader Joes Ginger Turmeric.

I tried to find herbal ones that are full of flavor so I do not have to add anything to them.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    SnowOwl26 wrote: »

I was a DD fan, now down to two milk.