Budget healthy...can it be done?

Options
srpotts1212
srpotts1212 Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
We live in a world where raman noodles cost less than 4 bananas. A place where fast food establishments offer 2 can dine for 10.99. Over a year ago I joined weight watchers and lost 50 pounds using the program. I kept it off. Due to budget constraints I had to leave the program. I have not gained any weight since but have not continued to lose either. My diet has had increased carbs, fats and sugars and decreased vitamins and proteins.

So here is a little more info...I work as an LPN and make reasonable money. That is when I work full time hours. I have been a casual for many years and often have to work a different position for a lot less money just to make ends meet. My husband left his high paying specialty trades job to go back to school 6 months ago. We have all the usual bills, rent insurance, car payments ect. Money has been tight and we have had to stick to a specific budget just to get by. We made a lot of lifestyle changes such as only using one vehicle. In this time I also cut out my gym pass. Our food budget went from being virtually non existent to extremely tight. I now have a full time nursing line but we have to stick to a similar budget to pay back the debt we have had the last few months.

I am going to try to not eat fast food, reduce my carbs and increase the amount of vegetables and proteins we eat. All on a budget of 300 dollars a month (canadian). I am open to suggestions from anyone on ways to save. My biggest one right now. Buy unprocessed beans...takes a long time but high in protein. I am making chilli tomorrow. Another is to use frozen vegetables instead of raw.
Please brainstorm with each other on recipies and ways to save.

I will post further as I learn.

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and I find I can make most things cheaper than buying premade - as long as I buy and cook in bulk, and freeze portions for another day. All the cheap deals seem to be on bulk quantities.

The only exception is probably with bakery goods, which have quite expensive ingredients compared to the premade.
  • Sundaynz
    Sundaynz Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Buy seasonal and look at what you can make with the vegetables rather than finding a recipe and then shopping for the recipe. Plan your meals for the week rather than waiting to see what you " feel" like eating. Dried beans, lentils and canned tomatoes are excellent and give you good nutritional value and low calories. Look for places where you can buy plain pack and budget brands and go with those. As mentioned above curries are great and something like a whole chicken can do three meals - night one - roast chicken, night 2 add into something like a curry or make enchiladas. Night three use for soup stock and add in some of those lentils and tomatoes :)
    Try making your own flour tortillas - way cheaper than bought and they can be wonderful filled with whatever is seasonal and spiced up :)
    Use your freezer to store all leftovers no matter how small. Shop for more typically expensive ingredients in the places that have them more cheaply, e.g beans in the indian grocer along with nuts and rice. Ginger and noodles, bok choy and daikon in asian markets etc.
    Don't be afraid to try new foods and you might be pleasantly surprised at what you can make very cheaply.
  • mackau
    mackau Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sure.

Beef Mince. Chicken. Fish. Beans. Rice. Eggs. Onion. Potato. Tomato. Fill out meals with cheap frozen vegetables (Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrot, Peas, Corn). "Snacks" become apples, pears, oranges etc (cheap fruit).

One point when on a "budget" healthy diet would be worry less about carb/protein/fat macros, and worry more about getting specific with your portions & weights, because the majority of a budget meal will be Beans, Potato or Rice. If those 3 are not the basis for most of the meals (and you aren't cheating) then you're unlikely to get enough calories, or you're going to be having large quantities of meat (which is expensive).

Also get used to using different spices & herbs. It can be easier to take the same ingredients every day when day 1 is an Italian herb flavour, day 2 is an coriander & cumin Indian curry flavour, day 3 is a lemon pepper salt flavour, day 4 is a tex-mex cayenne pepper flavour, day 5 is a French onion & garlic parsley flavour and day 6 Asian five spice and day 7 is a middle eastern thyme/sumac/sesame mix.

A final point would be what sort of online shopping places do you have around? Many people have the biggest problems with "budgeting" because they just go around a shop buying anything that catches the eye and not sticking to a list. If you have a shop that is online and is reputable you are completely taking yourself out of the environment that Grocery stores have spent millions upon millions researching the best ways to get people to buy stuff.

Hence why the cooked chickens are in the far left corner, the frozen food is in the top right corner and the milk & bread at the back of the store and to get straight to them you're probably going to be walking past a chocolate aisle.

It's much easier to stick to a list when you're just typing only the items you want into a search bar.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Use coupons, shop sales, shop at the cheaper grocery stores (freshco and no frills instead of longos and loblaws). I just bought a HUGE hunk of pork loin for something like $12 - I think it was $1.88/lb - it is going to last us 12+ meals total - literally $1/meal for a good size hunk of protein! frozen vegetables are on sale right now 1.77 for 750 grams - stock up at those prices. it can be done - you just need to be smart about it. check out the 'flip' app too.
  • raspuller
    raspuller Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Beans are cheap. So are potatoes. If prepared properly they are delicious and nutritious.

I get it - back when I was filling my cart with processed food and boxed dinners (like Hamburger Helper) my grocery bill was a full 50% less than it is now that I buy primarily produce, but, bulk shopping, bulk cooking, coupons, etc do add up. And ultimately, at least in the US, we are either paying for more nutritious healthy food or we’re paying for healthcare for health issues related to a poor diet.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Beans, rice, eggs. A case of 60 industrial grade eggs is under $3 US. Potatoes and carrots are cheap too, and nutritious. Dandelions are free in warm weather, which will return to Canada.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I bought an organic pot roast for $15, cooked it in the crock pot overnight with veggies, beef stock (another couple of dollars). It fed a family of 4 dinner, and my husband had some for b'fast the next morning. That's cheaper than going out to dinner.

I roast a whole chicken twice a week. I usually remove the breasts for tacos one night; then boil the rest down for soup for another night. I can usually get 2 nights worth of meals from a $14 organic chicken (often there is extra soup left). This is A LOT cheaper than going out to dinner.

I think fast food is EXPENSIVE! We never get out of a sit down restaurant for less than $40 between food and tip.

If you are busy during the week (which we all are), a crock pot is a great investment. I can cook steel cut oats (there are a ton of recipes online that include applesauce, pumpkin, etc)...scramble up a few eggs and b'fast is ready in 5 minutes. I can throw a roast or chicken in the crock pot during the day...and dinner is ready when everyone gets home.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I feed myself, my SO, and 2 small dogs on $300 a month could be less if I tried a little harder.

I buy rice in bulk and put it in plastic storage tubs. Buy beans in bulk and cook them yourself.

Buying in season produce. For example during winter sweet potato is .39c/lb sometimes less. In fall I buy butternut squash for 25c/lb and freeze it in baggies to use all winter.
    Frozen vegetables have saved my life, cheap, easy to make/add to anything.

Buying cheaper cuts of meat the price difference between chicken thighs and chicken breast is at least $1 per lb. I cook everything. I even bake the chicken skin for a crispy, salty snack.
    I also do things like buy a ham near holidays when it's .80c/lb. Bought a 12 lb ham a few weeks ago, cooked it. Ate that for a few days. Threw the rest in the freezer. Will be able to add it to soup, or just take it out, thaw and reheat.

I think the biggest thing is shopping sale items based on a price per unit and not just because it's "on sale". And shopping seasonal produce if you want fresh.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Beans, especially if you can cook them from dry, are very budget friendly and healthy. Frozen veggies just as healthy and cheaper than fresh. Eggs. If you buy meat, buy the meat that's on sale, in bulk, freeze it in portions, and cook it in the slow cooker to make tougher cuts more tender. Rice. Lentils. Barley, etc. You can get wild caught salmon canned or frozen and it's cheaper. I like to do at least one meatless meal a week, for money reasons.

This list might sound boring but if you have some staples in your pantry, such as spices, oils, vinegars, condiments, etc you can make a lot of tasty meals from these basics. And those spices,etc, will last a long time. You can get spices much cheaper in bulk at organic markets or Asian markets.

I have found that cooking in is almost always cheaper than eating out, even fast food or delivery pizza. Unless you're buying steak and lobster at the grocery store, what you cook at home will almost always be cheaper. Try to set aside time every week to plan your meals around what's on sale. Look for recipes that can use up leftover ingredients that you already have on hand. Freeze leftover meal portions, meats, etc.
    An hour of meal planning a week saves us so much $$$. Really the weeks I do it versus the weeks I dont...huge difference in grocery bill. I know it's hard to find time, I'm also a nurse and have 2 kids. It's not easy but it is worth it.

I love the website budget bytes. She has a lot of budget friendly recipes that are healthy. Good luck to you!
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    Beans, rice, eggs. A case of 60 industrial grade eggs is under $3 US. Potatoes and carrots are cheap too, and nutritious. Dandelions are free in warm weather, which will return to Canada.

Yes, I forgot, potatoes! Very filling and budget friendly, and only "unhealthy" if you eat huge portions or drown them in calorie heavy things :)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Beans, especially if you can cook them from dry, are very budget friendly and healthy. Frozen veggies just as healthy and cheaper than fresh. Eggs. If you buy meat, buy the meat that's on sale, in bulk, freeze it in portions, and cook it in the slow cooker to make tougher cuts more tender. Rice. Lentils. Barley, etc. You can get wild caught salmon canned or frozen and it's cheaper. I like to do at least one meatless meal a week, for money reasons.

This list might sound boring but if you have some staples in your pantry, such as spices, oils, vinegars, condiments, etc you can make a lot of tasty meals from these basics. And those spices,etc, will last a long time. You can get spices much cheaper in bulk at organic markets or Asian markets.

I have found that cooking in is almost always cheaper than eating out, even fast food or delivery pizza. Unless you're buying steak and lobster at the grocery store, what you cook at home will almost always be cheaper. Try to set aside time every week to plan your meals around what's on sale. Look for recipes that can use up leftover ingredients that you already have on hand. Freeze leftover meal portions, meats, etc.
    An hour of meal planning a week saves us so much $$$. Really the weeks I do it versus the weeks I dont...huge difference in grocery bill. I know it's hard to find time, I'm also a nurse and have 2 kids. It's not easy but it is worth it.

I love the website budget bytes. She has a lot of budget friendly recipes that are healthy. Good luck to you!

I actually have been buying steak more often lately at the grocery store - on sale it works out to about $5 per steak (that is for a good size delicious juicy striploin steak) - compare that to a Keg meal for $100+ (for two) and even eating steak at home you can still come out waaay ahead! eating steak at home (at these sale prices) has actually been cheaper than fast food meals would be - and sooooo much better and better for you!
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    edited January 2018
    Options

I actually have been buying steak more often lately at the grocery store - on sale it works out to about $5 per steak (that is for a good size delicious juicy striploin steak) - compare that to a Keg meal for $100+ (for two) and even eating steak at home you can still come out waaay ahead! eating steak at home (at these sale prices) has actually been cheaper than fast food meals would be - and sooooo much better and better for you!

Im jealous, I can never find it that cheap! We can only eat steak occasionally on our budget. But yes, grocery shopping is almost always cheaper, I can definitely see that being the case even with steak.

Even fast food really isn't that cheap anymore. 2 adult McDonald's meals is $12-13. I can cook a meal that costs $5-7 dollars to make and it will feed 3 of us dinner for 2 days (kind of feed all four of us, if you count that I'm nursing a baby with the calories I'm eating, lol) $6 a serving versus $1 a serving
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Eating clean and cheap doesn't have to be boring. Part of what you think of as boring is probably the fact that if you're eating fast food often, your taste buds are used to way more salt and fat than is healthy for you. Give yourself time to adjust your taste buds. I reduced our food bill significantly by buying a freezer. I recently came across boneless, skinless chicken thighs reduced 75% that were 'sell by' the next day. I bought 6 packages. The reduced price was roughly .50 a pound (US). Same for turkeys which I found for .49 after Thanksgiving. I froze one and cooked one, then cut into portions and froze. I cooked the bones down and (with veggie scraps I save in a bag in freezer) made the most delicious stock. I made a great soup and froze extra stock as ice cubes which I'll add to other sauces, etc. to boost flavor. As someone else said, an hour of planning can save a lot of money.
    I am a devoted couponer. I save a fortune on staples like coffee, shampoo, toilet paper, etc. Find a website or facebook page that outlines the current deals and coupons for you. Let them do the hard part of putting the deals together and only buy what you use but buy lots of it. Eggs! They were recently a loss leader for a local store at .49. I bought 6 dozen and made room in frig. The best by date was about 7 weeks ahead and with 3 adults and 1 toddler they were gone long before then. Have breakfast for dinner occasionally. For someone working, it makes for a quick, easy dinner. Finally, I bought a bread machine at a local GoodWill (thrift shop). They are always there for $3-5. People get them and don't use them. I think because they let the machine actually bake. The best use of them is as the mixer and to knead. After the first rise, take it out, shape and bake in your oven. Make some bread on a day off. It takes very little of your time and cheap of you buy flour and yeast on sale or in bulk. There are websites with plenty of info on how to do what you're wanting. A little planning goes a long way.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    For example, this recipe is one of my favorites. It's not perfect health wise, sure it has signifiicant salt, but it also has a LOT of vegetables and is quite filling, tasty, and only 5.60 per recipe. It usually lasts my family of 4 (3 eating) 2 days. https://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/chicken-yakisoba/
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great suggestions
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Canadian too (Manitoban). Come July, August hit up the strawberry farms and pick lots, and fill your freezer! I have made lots of smoothies, used them as ice cubes and added light Cool Whip as a desert.

My supply is running low so this July I'll pick even more.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Check out budgetbytes.com for recipe ideas.

I find that doing a weekly meal-prep cuts down drastically on food waste and spending. I always have a nice fresh meal waiting for me in the fridge or freezer when I get home from work, so no temptation for fast food. Meals stay fresh in the freezer for months, so they're all gobbled up eventually.

As others have said... beans, eggs, buying in bulk, cheap cuts of meat, following sales, etc.

I've found my new Instant Pot an invaluable tool for breaking down cheap cuts of meat into tender stews and soups. I also like to buy a whole chicken to cook and save the bones to make a nice broth. You can use the broth for soups, stews, rice-dishes, etc.